• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID ar-15

I have an FID and was wondering if it was legal for me to purchase an ar-15 style rifle in Massachusetts. Specifically a Stag-15 model 4. it has a fixed stock and i can get one without a bayonet lug and with a 10 round mag.

I have an FID and was wondering if it was legal for me to purchase an ar-15 style rifle in Massachusetts. Specifically a Stag-15 model 4. it has a fixed stock and i can get one without a bayonet lug and with a 10 round mag.

Essentially no, not at all in standard configuration. Just because Stag ships a particular model with a 10rd mag does not mean that they don't ship other models with 30rd mags. Not to mention that many many many other manufacturers make and ship 30rd mags.

The only AR-style rifles you could conceivably get with an FID are the Bushmaster Carbon-15 top loader (10 round fixed internal mag), and I believe DPMS sells a lower without a magwell (single shot rifle).

The last time this question came up, I recommended a Remington 7615. They're pump-action and take AR mags. Get some 10 rounders, and start stocking up on 5.56. As soon as you get your LTC, you can buy an AR, and get some pre-ban hi-caps, which will also work in the 7615.

ok well two more years before i can get an LTC in the meantime then any good semi auto 5.56 riffles that arn't illegal for me to buy to shoot with in the mean time?

ok well two more years before i can get an LTC in the meantime then any good semi auto 5.56 riffles that arn't illegal for me to buy to shoot with in the mean time?

see post 3.

i'm not sure if you can buy and M&P 15-22....

but you CAN buy a Ruger 10/22... if you are hell bent on a .223 / 5.56, your options are very limited... i'd go with a tacticool .22LR in the mean time... [wink]

see post 3.

i'm not sure if you can buy and M&P 15-22....

but you CAN buy a Ruger 10/22... if you are hell bent on a .223 / 5.56, your options are very limited... i'd go with a tacticool .22LR in the mean time... [wink]

Without going the god-awful neutered-AR route, the Mini-14 is really the only choice, isn't it? You might be able to get one of the Kel-Tecs, but I'm not entirely sure.

There ARE other FID-OK battle rifles, though. The M1 Garand and SKS come to mind.

you could go SKS ? Or save up your money for the next 2 years. Im sure your wants or needs will change. Heck you might even move to a free state.
Personally I would have a trusted family member purchase one and have them agree to sell it to you when you get your LTC B or A

you could go SKS ? Or save up your money for the next 2 years. Im sure your wants or needs will change. Heck you might even move to a free state.
Personally I would have a trusted family member purchase one and have them agree to sell it to you when you get your LTC B or A

Dude, buying a firearm for someone other than yourself is a violation of federal law. Instead of doing what you said, the OP should just find a friend or family member to buy an AR, let him use it at the range, then buy his own when he gets his LTC.

Dude, buying a firearm for someone other than yourself is a violation of federal law. Instead of doing what you said, the OP should just find a friend or family member to buy an AR, let him use it at the range, then buy his own when he gets his LTC.

+1

i did buy a mini-14 for a relative. with FULL intention on giving it as a gift. that is perfectly fine.

looks like this one

Mini-14GB.jpg

we haven't shot it yet... plant to in the spring. [laugh]

edit: other than finding some 10rd mags, it's a sweet rifle... it came with one box mag, 5rd cap.

+1

i did buy a mini-14 for a relative. with FULL intention on giving it as a gift. that is perfectly fine.

looks like this one

Mini-14GB.jpg

we haven't shot it yet... plant to in the spring. [laugh]

edit: other than finding some 10rd mags, it's a sweet rifle... it came with one box mag, 5rd cap.

whats a good price for a mini-14?

Go green (become a member) and attend a shoot. See what You like.

In the mean time You could get a bolt gun and practice.

Do this. Get an SKS. They are cheap and you can get the ammo cheap too. When you can get an LTC-A or B you should have a better job and saved up (hey that's the plan right?). You'll be able to get a much nicer rifle.

whats a good price for a mini-14?

go to NH. i've seen them in MA shops for $700 to $800 bucks USED! I got one for $500 and saw others between $450 and $650....

most of them were .223/5.56, there were a few in 7.62x39 as well....

a few people have mentioned sks and m1 gerands and so now i have 2 more stupid questions about those how much is a reasonable price for them and for the SKS who makes a good one?

Some state pro-gun orgs are affiliated with CMP. Check the website www.odcmp.org You should find a list there to help you find a qualifying org. Joining the Garand Collectors Assn also counts and I understand it to be a great org.

the mini 30 is a great all purpose plinker- I enjoy mine. A good bolt gun is the CZ527 as well- takes the 7.62x39 as well. Nice little carbine

so if you have a legally licensed family member purchase a gun. Then SELL it to the other family member when he/she has the proper license is against the law. I think not. I in no way said have a properly licensed family member buy the gun for you then hand it over when you get out of the FFL shop.....now thats not legal.

Question 11A on a 4473:

a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.) Exception: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.

M1911 I understand the question.
The buyer(leagal owner and purchaser) buys the gun AND ONLY WHEN the son nephew brother comes of age and license requirement forfilled sells such firearm to nephew,son,brother ect ect/ Why I said trusted family member is that when the unlicensed non buyer finally gets his license said family member does not want to sell the fire arm to them

so many dads are guilty of straw purchase when that 22 you got for your 10th birthday and then transfered to you when 18 and or licensed.

Back
Top Bottom