FID and pistol

Mjl

If I get an FID card will I also be able to get a pistol? I read somewhere recently that I may be able to get a pistol with an approval to buy that firearm even though I only have an FID card.

If I get an FID card will I also be able to get a pistol? I read somewhere recently that I may be able to get a pistol with an approval to buy that firearm even though I only have an FID card.

No. Fid card is for non large capacity long guns only.

Who's approval? Where did you read this?

Edit....parrythewind has a point.....are you talking about black powder pistol?

Call Comm2A. I'm sure someone over there would love a test case of someone getting an FID and then getting a P to P. Could be precedent-setting!

Back a dozen years ago or so I was at youth soccer chatting with the police chief and asked him about getting an FID. He said waste of time and money, just take the course and apply for a Ltc. And no worries, you’ll be good to go. Not thinking that what you can BUY with either has changed.....although difficulty getting one or the other might have.

Can OP own a pistol with an FID as long as it stays at home?
Say an inherited pistol?

IANAL but they wording of Chapter 140 Section 129B Paragraph 6 is:

(6) A firearm identification card shall not entitle a holder thereof to possess: (i) a large capacity firearm or large capacity feeding device therefor, except under a Class A license issued to a shooting club as provided under section 131 or under the direct supervision of a holder of a Class A license issued to an individual under section 131 at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range; or (ii) a non-large capacity firearm or large capacity rifle or shotgun or large capacity feeding device therefor, except under a Class A license issued to a shooting club as provided under section 131 or under the direct supervision of a holder of a Class A or Class B license issued to an individual under section 131 at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range. A firearm identification card shall not entitle a holder thereof to possess any rifle or shotgun that is, or in such manner that is, otherwise prohibited by law. A firearm identification card issued pursuant to subclause (vi) of clause (1) of section 122D shall be valid for the purpose of purchasing and possessing chemical mace, pepper spray or other similarly propelled liquid, gas or powder designed to temporarily incapacitate. Except as otherwise provided herein, a firearm identification card shall not be valid for the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental or transportation of a rifle or shotgun if such rifle or shotgun is a large capacity weapon as defined in section 121.

Seems to rule out any “firearm”, i.e. pistol in MA gov speak.

Can OP own a pistol with an FID as long as it stays at home?
Say an inherited pistol?
Not technically. An FID card allows possession of a handgun only with a permit to purchase that handgun issued pursuant to Ch. 140 Section 131A. I am not aware of any instance of such a permit being issued.

I’m 43 years old. I’ve never had an FID or LTC. My dad passed away a few years ago and my grandmother has his guns in Missouri. She said I can have them but I know I need to have an FID in Massachusetts to keep them. As long as I was going to try to get an FID I was thinking about getting a pistol too, to keep at home (for protection and target shooting).

Go for it! Apply for LTC and no need for FID.
What town are you in and anything from preventing you getting an unrestricted LTC as far as you know?

I’m 43 years old. I’ve never had an FID or LTC. My dad passed away a few years ago and my grandmother has his guns in Missouri. She said I can have them but I know I need to have an FID in Massachusetts to keep them. As long as I was going to try to get an FID I was thinking about getting a pistol too, to keep at home (for protection and target shooting).
Yeah. Just get apply for the LTC. What town/city?

Sorry to hear about your dad, welcome to the forum, and just apply for the LTC in the town you live in. Don't forget about the search function, you can probably find most of the answers to any questions you might have.

Just get an ltc and you can get a pistol. Fid you can't get a pistol.

Sorry for your loss.

You will need to transfer the guns to you at an FFL however. Fed law prohibits transfers between 2 people who don't live in the same state. Plus you need the LTC (same cost/process as FID).

I didn’t mean to make you guys feel sorry for me. That’s just where I’m at. I’ll let you know what happens and thank you for the feedback.

Taunton is fairly green, and so long as you don't have anything on your record, should have no issue with the LTC. The prior chief got burned on hamstringing the issuance process, and so they do very well these days at moving things along. They are doing dedicated hours each week for handling the fingerprinting with COVID to keep the applications in motion, and at last check were getting the plastic turned back to applicants within the time period the law allows, unlike a lot of jurisdictions in this state.

Back
Top Bottom