FID and minors

A relative of mine got his FID card and he is 16. His parents do not have any permits (his parents are cool and gave him permisson to get the permit). He sent a letter to the state house asking to clarify the law about FID cards and minors, they can transport, posses, etc just like everyone else. But can he purchase? Otherwise he is sort of screwed as his parents could not get them as they dont have permits for him to posess.

And if he cant purchase or have a gun transferred to him, can I "lend" him one of my guns for him to "posses" indefinatly even though its in my name and I dont reside on his residence?

Don't expect anyone in the State House to care or to respond with a legal opinion . . . not their job! :(

You can lend a firearm to another person legally licensed and entitled to possess a gun of that type. Doesn't matter where the lender lives (can be from out of state or local). NO registration is required, as you still own it.

Sorry, I can't answer what a minor can own, possess, buy off-hand. You can look in Ch. 140 and you'll likely find that info in the MGLs.

Even if legal, don't be surprised if some stores in MA have a higher minimum age to purchase guns or ammo. Paranoia is rampant in this state and some major chains have their own "policies" that need to be dealt with as well.

He cannot buy (even with the FID) until he's 18 years old. And, you can lend him a rifle or shotgun (non-large cap) as long as he ensures it's secured and locked up becuase mom and dad can't touch it.

Honestly kinda a stupid move on behalf of the parents, they should get an FID (LTC is always better to have) just so they don't have "Off limets" things in thier own home.

For the same reason I'm trying to convince my wife to get a LTC.

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Honestly kinda a stupid move on behalf of the parents, they should get an FID (LTC is always better to have) just so they don't have "Off limets" things in thier own home.

-Weer'd Beard

Me too, I'm working on my wife as well.

And, I would hate to lose all my family hand me downs because something might happen to me and she's not pemitted. Things that I planned to give to my kids.

Can you will guns to someone you trust that has a permit? Bypassing transfer fees and the like??

C-pher,

Yes, inheritance can cross state lines with NO FFLs involved (only exception permitted by Fed Law). In-state inheritance is done with FA-10s only. Executor of estate has legal authority to hold onto guns even though they do not possess any licenses.

Do a Search of this forum, I'm sure we've covered it before.

Yes, it is very wise for ALL ADULTS in a household to possess a LTC-A, to protect themselves from vicarious persecution. Don't waste the time/money on FIDs, they are useless, cost the same, same BS to go thru for less legal protection.

Weer'd Beard said:

-Weer'd Beard

I first got the LTC to avoid any problems when the man is away & I have "possession" of the firearms in the house. Of course, now that I have it, I might as well keep buying new toys for myself. [twisted]

K-DUB said:
Weer'd Beard said:

-Weer'd Beard

I first got the LTC to avoid any problems when the man is away & I have "possession" of the firearms in the house. Of course, now that I have it, I might as well keep buying new toys for myself. [twisted]

Smart lady! :)

For all:

Be aware that ANYONE in "possession" of firearms, ammo, mags MUST be licensed OR under direct supervision of someone who is licensed per MGLs.

This means that if the LTC-holder is not home and the adult home can NOT prove "no access" to all guns, ammo, mags . . . they can be charged with illegal possession (Bartley-Fox, 1 year minimum mandatory plus other possible charges).

It is damn near impossible to prove "no access". For instance if the gun safe also has the non-licensed person's jewelry or family checkbooks, etc. in it, a judge (and jury) is going to NOT believe that the non-licensee had no access. For many, keeping all ammo under lock and key (which non-licensee doesn't have) is rather difficult.

How does one get "outed"? Easy, FD comes on routine inspection (last week I got such a visit after replacing oil burner), FD responds to CO or smoke detector problem call, PD responds to some call for services or to deliver a message (auto accident, B&E report, investigating something that happened at a neighboring property, domestic, etc.). Even if the meter reader (water, gas), cable guy, telephone install/repair, etc. sees something and reports it to the PD, that could lead to an investigation and charges.

Simple solution is for all adults to get LTCs and thus if any of the above happens you are covered. If not, you are at the mercy of a bunch of anti-gun folks that might persecute you/a loved one.

Also with the time frames on getting renewals, etc. Glenn and I have a year differance, so if one of ours expires the other is licensed.
Also for those with an FID, they can't buy ammo until 21 I believe.

K-DUB said:

Good woman!! [lol] [lol]

I remember a long time ago in a place far far away (actually not so far away) I got my LTC in Mass when I was 16 due to a (I believe since closed) loophole in the law. It ws only a S&T but man was I proud to have it. I could buy ammo and accessories but not guns from a dealer, only private party... So my dad bought it and transferred it to me.

This was all before you had to take a training course, and jump through hoops to get an LTC. I was taught responsible gun handleing by my dad from the time i was old enough to hold a gun up and I really respect him for having the time and patience to do it. I have since gone on to get my ALP LTC and become an Instructor. I am hoping to become a training counselor and get my FFL, maybe get into some competition shooting (I have never done any of that) and eventually open a shop.

My wife has been supportive of my....well, ok, obsession with guns and shooting, I admit it... and our soon to be born daughter will also be taught responsibility just as I was.

LenS said:
For all:

Be aware that ANYONE in "possession" of firearms, ammo, mags MUST be licensed OR under direct supervision of someone who is licensed per MGLs.

This means that if the LTC-holder is not home and the adult home can NOT prove "no access" to all guns, ammo, mags . . . they can be charged with illegal possession (Bartley-Fox, 1 year minimum mandatory plus other possible charges).

It is damn near impossible to prove "no access". For instance if the gun safe also has the non-licensed person's jewelry or family checkbooks, etc. in it, a judge (and jury) is going to NOT believe that the non-licensee had no access. For many, keeping all ammo under lock and key (which non-licensee doesn't have) is rather difficult.

How does one get "outed"? Easy, FD comes on routine inspection (last week I got such a visit after replacing oil burner), FD responds to CO or smoke detector problem call, PD responds to some call for services or to deliver a message (auto accident, B&E report, investigating something that happened at a neighboring property, domestic, etc.). Even if the meter reader (water, gas), cable guy, telephone install/repair, etc. sees something and reports it to the PD, that could lead to an investigation and charges.

Simple solution is for all adults to get LTCs and thus if any of the above happens you are covered. If not, you are at the mercy of a bunch of anti-gun folks that might persecute you/a loved one.

I'll have to check into that. The liscensing officer in my town told me no problem...

I want my wife to get the LTC anyway, but this contradicts what he said. What a surprise... [roll]

Matt

Matt,

It's up to the PD as to whether or not to persecute people this way or to be reasonable and leave them alone. When it comes to my or my Wife's freedom, the cost of an LTC is minuscule in comparison to taking that bet. Also since "the system" feels no compelling reason to ensure that LTC renewals are issued timely, it is added protection if one LTC holder's license expires while waiting on renewal (some cases as long as 6 months) to at least keep the guns at home legally.

From my prior post, here's an example:

- I stopped by the FD the other day to get my powder/ammo permit renewed. The Captain pops in the Deputy's office and starts to ask me about my reloading equipment. Now, everything was bolted down and covered with plastic bags and only someone familiar with reloading would know what they were. [No components were visible anywhere, only the empty reloaders.]

- Turns out that he used to shoot and was just curious and I told him to stop by any time. But what if he was an anti-gunner and looking to cause trouble?

Additional info:

- I am LE but I've asked some other LEOs the "what if" question. If I had LE restricted mags (I don't have any and this is why) and my Wife (has LTC-A/ALP, but she's not LE) were to grab one in a self-defense situation or I let her shoot my gun with LE mags in it while at the range?

- The answer I got was that I should make sure that she NEVER has access to any LE restricted mags and that if the scenarios above were found out, she'd be persecuted! Since this came from an LEO, you know exactly what he'd do if he investigated such a scenario!

- I am 100% certain that no LEO that I know locks their mags and guns up in such a fashion that a spouse (if licensed) wouldn't ever have the ability to gain access to them!

LenS said:
K-DUB said:
Weer'd Beard said:

-Weer'd Beard

Smart lady! :)

Damn striaght a smart lady. I'm hoping my wife gets more into shooting as time goes by. Hopefully we can have some NES get togethers where she can shoot a wider range of firearms, and maybe get some Woman-to-Woman gun time.

At the moment we both have COMPEALTLY differnt tastes in firearms. I haven't figgured out her tastes yet, but it sure-as-hell ain't 1911s and Commie-made recoil-feinds.

I showed her a Desert Eagle the other day at the trading Posts. Her responce "Why would anybody wand one of those!?? it's HUGE!!!!"

PLUS if she has a LTC that means I can ask for bigger Christmas and Birthday Presents! [lol]

Wolf ammo makes the PERFECT stocking stuffer!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom