Fid a minor question 2

Okay, lets say family X has a gun safe.

Now, Junior (who by the name you can tell is a minor) has his FID card. His father has a LTC. Now if the one family gun safe is only filled with lowcapacity rifles and shotguns junior can legally has acsess to it since he has his FID card. Father wants to get some pistols/hicapacity rifles. But they only have one gun safe!

Now, if Father put trigger locks on all the guns his son's FID doesnt cover and only father has the keys to these specific locks and put them in the gun safe could Junior still use the safe?

Well, if he doesn't trust junior I guess he could do that.

The safe would suffice for storage without trigger locks installed. However I do have trigger locks/Life Jackets on most of the firearms in my locked containers. Just because I am extra cautious and it makes it easier to take them out of the container and transport without having to dig out a lock.

No, the safe wouldn't suffice. Here's the relevant law:
Chapter 140, Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

Since Junior can access the safe but can't legally have handguns, we've got a problem. Dad needs to store the handguns some other way that prevents Junior from having access to them. Putting a trigger (gag!) or cable lock on them will do the job, whether or not they're in the safe. There's no nned to buy a second safe, but in the long run it would be cheaper to store all the additional guns that they'll want to buy.

Ken

So just to reiterate to make sure "father" doesnt go to prison.

Junior can still have free acsess to the gun safe as long as all the firearms in the safe his permit does not allow him to use have trigger locks only father has the key to?

Father trusts Junior very much, but father still doesnt want to break the law.

Eric, I don't know for certain and don't have much interest in kids, so I'm not going to research this one any further.

My best suggestion is to carefully read MGL on safe storage and the one on restrictions n FID cards. The answers should be there.

Ummmm. I think Ken already answered this one...

KMaurer said:
Putting a trigger (gag!) or cable lock on them will do the job, whether or not they're in the safe. There's no nned to buy a second safe.
Ken

Ericman said:
So just to reiterate to make sure "father" doesnt go to prison.

Junior can still have free acsess to the gun safe as long as all the firearms in the safe his permit does not allow him to use have trigger locks only father has the key to?

Father trusts Junior very much, but father still doesnt want to break the law.

Correct....although INAL. :D

Back
Top Bottom