• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID $25 for under 18?

I did some searching, and only found a short thread from a year ago when it was in committee. I believe the $25 for under 18 FID thing went through? Is word out (and is it in practice) at local PD's from what folks have seen? I've started the process of trying to get my kid an appointment to apply (can take a few phone calls in my town to get a human), but my local PD website still shows $100 fee with no mention of $25 if under 18. Just want to have my facts straight before heading in. Thanks!

Why would they follow the law??

Print out a copy of MGL C. 140 S. 129B and highlight the below paragraph and be ready to argue with them.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129B/Print

[ Clause (9C) inserted by 2011, 68, Sec. 93 effective July 1, 2011. See 2011, 68, Sec. 221.]
(9C) Except as provided in clause (9B), the fee for an application for a firearm identification card for any person under the age of 18 shall be $25, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in the case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain 50 per cent of the fee and the remaining portion shall be deposited into the General Fund. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, licensing authorities shall deposit quarterly that portion of the firearm identification card application fee which is to be deposited into the General Fund, not later than January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 of each year.

Yes its 25. My daughter just got hers. I had to bring it to the PDs attention as they didnt realize the change. Once i told them the clerk changed the fee right away and was glad i notified them of it.

Last edited:
Not to stray too far off topic, and forgive my question...buy what's the point of an under 18 FID. Still have to be over to purchase anything right? and a parent would still also need to have an FID or LTC to have any firearms in the home...so I'm just curious...sorry for my late night stupidity

...what's the point of an under 18 FID.

Unsupervised possession and transport of non-large capacity rifles, shotguns and ammunition.

Still have to be over to purchase anything right?

Correct, but a parent or guardian can furnish their minor child with the above.

I had to pay 100 and I got mine last year and I am 16 now.... WTF? Did I get ripped off?

If you applied after July 16th*, yes.

*http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...1-for-Minors?p=1959997&viewfull=1#post1959997

The practicality of a <18 FID:

Kids at the Club, on the Trap team with a license.....now, they can legally drive to the range with a shottie and gun food. Also, now they can hunt with a parent or grandparent (or anyone else, or alone) with their own gun. Under 15 can only hunt supervised, with one gun, and on another's license.

Agreed, called my PD for my girl to get her "mace" FID restricted permit. 25 bucks and asked if minors FID is the same. Answer was Yes

I applied for my fid in November and got it in January. I am 15 and they charged me $100. I got screwed by the cops but it doesn't surprise me and I didnt know the price change at the time. I'm in East Longmeadow. When my brother gets his in the spring I'm going to make sure they know the change.

Not to stray too far off topic, and forgive my question...buy what's the point of an under 18 FID. Still have to be over to purchase anything right? and a parent would still also need to have an FID or LTC to have any firearms in the home...so I'm just curious...sorry for my late night stupidity

Mace or oc spray.
Hunt with a gun over 15
Several other reasons already answered

Back
Top Bottom