Fibreglass stocks CMP/DCM legal? (On M1A)

Subject line pretty much says it all...For DCM/CMP legality, does the stock have to be wood or can it be fibreglass and still be a legal service rifle? Specifically I'm referring to a "Loaded" model Springfield Armory M1A with a bunch of National Match goodies.

I know that M1A's are being issued in different configurations right now to diffeent branches with 'glass stocks, (some Sage, some MacMillan, etc...) so I would imagine this would be oK. What I'm talknig about is nothing funky like a pistol gripped Sage, just a normal profile M1A but with a black 'glass stock.

As always, any input if appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

I know that M1A's are being issued in different configurations right now to different branches with 'glass stocks, (some Sage, some MacMillan, etc...) so I would imagine this would be oK. What I'm talknig about is nothing funky like a pistol gripped Sage, just a normal profile M1A but with a black 'glass stock.

A regular profile is fine. Anything other than that is verboten. CMP defines what a service rifle is for CMP matches and to some extent NRA matches. Just because someone in the military is using something does not make it service rifle legal.

This AR-15.com thread is pretty good and explains it well. If you stick with a regular GI or McMillan you will be fine.

The McMillian's would not be as they must be glass-bedded to the receiver. The standard military glass stock should be acceptable although I can't remember ever seeing anything but wood on the firing line.

The CMP does not allow glassed stocks, not does the NRA in the "As Issued" rifle class. Bedding is allowed in the Service Rifle class.

As far as stocks:

Stocks: Must be standard military-issue wood or synthetic material stocks
or similar stocks of commercial manufacture.

Last edited:
As Issue matches are typically fired with real military service rifles like an M1 or an M1903. An M1A would not be allowed in an As Issued match since rule 6.3.1 (4) says "Commercial or replica versions of as-issued military rifles are not permitted." The M1A is a replica.

However it (the M1A or other commercial rifles) is specifically allowed in CMP EIC matches and the National Trophy Matches. Those matches allow glass bedding and other accuracy enhancing modifications like lugs, heavy barrels, unitized gas systems, NM sights and numerous others.

B

As Brian said, CMP/EIC matches as well as NRA Highpower SR class definitely allow bedded, fiberglass stocks. McMillan's are what I would call "full-figured gals", pushing the allowed dimensions as far as they will go. They are super-stiff and are the ones you want for bedding a rifle to. USGI fiberglass stocks are great for banging around the woods with, but are not the best choice for target work. Slinging up tight (which means two or three times tighter than you would an AR) will bend a USGI glass stock and put a lot of downward pressure on the barrel. Also, you can't bed a lugged rifle to one without major surgery.

Back
Top Bottom