1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Fiber providers, Central MA area

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JayMcB, Feb 11, 2019.

1. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

NES brain trust, before I have a client spend 2x on Verizon Fiber, does anyone have input on business class fiber from Nitel, Airespring or CenturyLink in MA?

it's a 10M EPL for with /29 for emergency remote databse and RDP, and redundancy as their SIP backup.

Those 3 are in the $500/mth range and VZ is more like 1,000 all in. I don't want them to commit 20k over the next 3 years for a dumpster fire, but the VZ cost feels a little rapey

2. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

I do not have any experience with the three options listed. Granted people generally complain on Yelp more than they praise. Human nature I guess. But these have a lot of one star reviews on Yelp. I would read a lot of those and see if you can sift through the minutiae. Seems like service after the sale is severely lacking. Again, without doing any research, do these alternatives lay their own fiber or are they just resellers of Verizon's bandwidth? Even if you ask for a list of customers to speak with they will probably cherry pick those.

I don't see how a reseller can guarantee five 9's of reliability. Does your customer already have Verizon fiber in the building or is Verizon having to amortize their build-out cost into the monthly for a return on their investment? We are looking at a Charter fiber build-out. To pick us up they would have to extend their fiber a few miles and do a building entrance so the cost is included in our monthly proposal.

I have a sincere dislike for monopolies. But I do like that I can escalate an issue and hold someone accountable. We had an issue with Charter a few years back. We agreed that I wouldn't pay our invoice until they could go a full 30 days without a service interruption. We didn't pay for Charter services for a full 12 months. They eventually rectified the situation.

3. Gorony

Gorony NES Member

Does it have to be dark fiber EPL? I have Fios business in central mass for what, 5 years now? I can’t say I’ve really had any issues with it (knock on wood) and you can get $100/mo 150meg service plus a upcharge for the static ips. Seems 2 business FIOS with a VPN would be cheaper than any of the above?

4. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

The specific town is Winchendon. Doesn't appear to be FIOS lit.

The YELP reviews appeared to be consumer service, not EPL fiber

5. Gorony

Gorony NES Member

So you’re looking for a 1gig SM dark fiber point to point hookup? Most CLEC are just reselling VZ last mile anyway, so it’s a VZ truck that rolls up to the building (unless you’re lucky and get on-net with Lightower or Centurylink or some other company that has their own plant and/or will build a node for you). If they’re just reselling VZ service and you’re good with the at-least-one-level-removed support (since they’re the customer of record for VZ you have to call them if it’s down) then take the break.

Or how about cable internet and a VPN? Comcast and a VPN could still be cheaper than dark fiber.

6. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

This is a secondary ISP for backup internet and sip access. They already have Comcast cable

7. chrbla2000

chrbla2000 NES Member

We have CenturyLink as a backup, I can't remember if they sublease from Comcast or Verizon, I want to say Comcast. Pretty sure Comcast, so if that's the case, Comcast will actually do the 'last mile' installation then you'll be billed from CenturyLink.

Hope that's helpful.

-chris

JayMcB likes this.
  8. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

Call lighttower

9. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

I would think a couple firewalls/VPN and high speed fios would be a lot less expensive. The DB and RDS aren't going to care about a few extra ms latency, and while VOIP doesn't usually like VPNs, it is backup so a little drop in quality is no big deal. Could do this over coax (Comcast, whatever) as well if FIOS isn't available. Heck I've done more than this over PtP wireless, but that was only 1/2 mile.

10. whatluck

whatluck

lighttower

11. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

I thought this thread was for Metamucil.

12. Coyote33

Coyote33

Have you tried Windstream? I heard, of all things, Earthlink was making a comeback of some sort, but that was several years ago. I'm guessing most are still Charter or Verizon on the last mile, as others have said.

13. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Bought by Crown Castle in '17, and doesn't appear to come north of Gardner or Fitchburg for fiber or switched ethernet

There's no FIOS in the town, DSl by copper line only from Verizon.

They already have comcast broadband, but it is flaky, this is a secondary/backup internet solution.

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I was waxing fondly of my carb days. Warm (yes warm) Grape Nuts with sliced cold banana. Post Raisin Bran. Never needed it for fiber, but I loved bran. I'd eat my grandparents wheat-germ right out of the bottle with a spoon.

I need a cheat weekend where all I eat is cereal. ROFL!

LittleCalm likes this.
  15. Nhusa

Nhusa

Winchendon --- That explains your problem.
    I went there once and almost died before I could get out.

16. Coyote33

Coyote33

How about a totally separate Comcast connection? I know, chances are you could lose both at once, but it would at least avoid losing one particular line or cable modem causing full outage. What about a Verizon Wireless "Jetpack" hotspot type of thing?

17. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

That's sorta pointless because if the remote terminal (or whatever they call it) housing the two connections goes down it's going to take both of them down at once anyways.... or even more simplistic thing where some guy hits a telephone pole it's not like the connections are going to come in from two different physical premises....

18. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Ask for an SLA (Service Level Agreement)

Easy wall to call a vendor on this - "Since you offer file 9's, I assume a SLA giving me one month credit per day of downtime or fraction thereof will not be a problem". If they are really five 9s, this is a really minor concession.

Coyote33 likes this.
  19. Coyote33

Coyote33

... Which is why I said "chances are...", but at least if a modem or one line went bad, ...

In the ideal world, you want two different providers.

Also, that is why I mentioned the Jetpack things.

20. kevin9

kevin9

There's reasons it's known as Winchentucky.

21. Coyote33

Coyote33

Winchentucky. Hmmm. I wonder if there is even cell service.

22. kevin9

kevin9

We sorta do. Limited carriers and spotty coverage outside the center of town.

23. Mawagian

Mawagian

Century link would be carried by Comcast fiber....

24. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

good to know, thanks.