• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL's that won't release a transfer after three days if no proceed on a nics check

WTF is up with shops with policy’s in place that ignores the releasing a transfer after the three days of delay/no response thing and won't release until given a ‘proceed’?
Something I now know to ask up front...

Who/what scared them into it?

The backstory, yes it's somewhat of a rant…;

So I’m buying a shotgun from an acquaintance who resides a ways north in NH and I’m in MA so an ffl transfer is/was required.
Being the nice guy he is, he’s concerned that if we do the transaction up there I may get delayed and have to drive back up there again so he volunteers to drive down this way and has some errands he needs to do here anyway.
Shooters in Amherst was geographically convenient and open, did the paperwork and hung around for a while waiting for the NICS response… It’s generally been a crapshoot for me and of course I got delayed, oh well, happens more so than not so half expected it anyway.

Literally as I turned around to head toward the door to leave, the counter employee said something like ‘Oh yeah, you have to sign this too’, sliding a half sheet of paper across the counter.
It’s a form stating that I agree to their policy of holding the gun until they get a proceed, no three day grace.

I’m sort of taken aback by it and of course question wtf is this and why didn’t you tell me about something this significant up front before I wasted all this time here, I would’ve certainly gone somewhere else like 619.
Got a sort of ambiguous apology/explanation of how someone/something or other says they can get in hot water if they release the gun and then get a denial after the fact. I ask what happens if they never get an answer seeing what a mess the nics system is in and nobody knows.

Looking into it a bit afterwards it seems it’s not just shooters but a fair number of shops in both NH and MA are adopting this policy.

Everything in me said don’t sign and GFY and go do it somewhere else but the seller who was kind enough to drive down to me was already headed home, on a timeline and would be quite inconvenienced to have to turn around and do it all over at another shop. Not even sure if I could’ve backed out of it cleanly at that point anyway. So I take the chance and sign… Really pissed me off… In retrospect it made me feel like a pussy that I didn’t refuse, at least just to see how they’d have handled it then.

A month goes by and nothing so I had to go back and do another 4473 as the first one expired… A couple/few more weeks go by and still nothing… I occasionally stopped by when I’m driving through the neighborhood and bugged them, employees were understanding and apologetic but claimed their hands were tied on the issue.

Finally today after 6-7 weeks they cave, someone signs off on it after confirming my stuff is still current/valid and I finally get my gun. Never did get an answer back from the feds… Have to wonder how long that would’ve gone on…

I’m curious as to who/what's behind this.
Is there a perpetrator behind seemingly Massachusetts attorney general like tactics of fear and intimidation by ambiguous threats of ‘trouble’ or whatever?
Was there maybe an 'incident' that touched this off?

Yup, that's Shooter's. One of my NH friends is a cop and personally knows the owner and the owner's son. My friend got delayed trying to buy a Tikka .22-250 of all things. Shooter's answer to not handing over the gun after three days: "we know its the law but we don't do that."

For that and other reasons, I'm glad to never do business with them again.

Full blown retarded policy and a good reason to never go in that shop again. Right now NICS is giving no response to delays about 30% of the time. They eventually time out at 30 days. So that nice policy will result it permanent storage of 30% of the backgrounds they do which are delayed. Who has room for storing guns like that?

The comment about denials after release is utter fuddery. It happens. When you get a denial after the Brady date (btw it’s not three days. It’s three complete business days. So a Thursday means the following Wednesday if no holidays intervene) you get a phone call from Martinsburg WV and they inform you. When you tell them it was released they just want a copy of the 4473 immediately emailed to them. Done. No big deal. You followed the law now they do their part. Apparently only like 4% of denials result in the ATF actually taking action and tracking down the person and gun. Again not the shops problem since they followed the law.

Nothing about this is about MA or the AG or anything like that. This is classic stupid FFL unable to comprehend the law and regulations of the business they are in so they make up some stupid policy to make themselves feel better. It’s about the feels…

they, shooter's, have a couple of in house rules that make me scratch my head. but they are a destination...like bass pro. most people go out of their way to go there. me, my bitch...they carded me to be able to just ask to see a hi cap mag. they were all behind a counter and you needed a clerk to get one handed over just to look at the packaging, never mind buy. so, massachusetts license, no handling of the contraband. wish i knew that before the 45 min drive.

most gun stores aren't our buddies cause we like guns and they sell guns. it's a business to make money. i've been told on a couple of occasions by a shop owner "i don't collect and i don't shoot much, i just sell 'em." gotta keep that in mind. so i really don't expect super service anywhere these days in these parts.

Found your problem.

Shit tier company with rules licked right out of the Mass AG's asscrack.

They get away with it because there aren't a ton of stores around, they had the money to buy real estate, and people think they're a "destination".:rolleyes:

Still. Their roof, their rules and I fully support them on that regardless of how silly it is.

Now you know why you and your friends shouldn't spend money there.

I'll give it to the OP that they should have told him before taking any money, but they probably would have canceled the transaction if he wanted to and it comes down to their house their rules, Like OP said, he could go someplace else.
BTW I did a handgun transfer at the same store that took a week, I was a little put off but everyone was seeing long delays on handguns in NH. It never occurred to me what I would do if I didn't get a proceed, the seller was from MA and had driven up to NH (a trade with a fellow NES member), would have sucked big time if he had to come back.

they, shooter's, have a couple of in house rules that make me scratch my head. but they are a destination...like bass pro. most people go out of their way to go there. me, my bitch...they carded me to be able to just ask to see a hi cap mag. they were all behind a counter and you needed a clerk to get one handed over just to look at the packaging, never mind buy. so, massachusetts license, no handling of the contraband. wish i knew that before the 45 min drive.

Isn't this the guy who tweets his own security camera footage when someone jacks an item from his store? He probably has a big shoplift problem with that two story fancypants retail store.

But his policy still sucks and I'll pass

Its like a gun club with bad rules,.. or an FFL who refuses to sell a stripped lower,.. or even a sporting goods store that wont carry certain calibers of ammo

Why I’m questioning it is because this isn’t just shooters.
I figured if push came to shove I could get them to transfer it to another shop up the street and start over but found the next nearest shop to have the same policy. Then in talking to others about it apparently a number of other shops do the same.

It’s a bad precedent and seems to be spreading…

Place I'm working at waits for a proceed or deny before releasing. Seems some years back they released one after the 3 days and the customer did some pretty bad stuff and it blew back on the store for "selling a nutjob" the gun. Before my time but I heard there were a number of lawsuits that had to be answered even though the store was cleared of wrongdoing. Bosses decided they didn't need that sort of hassle and the risk wasn't worth the sale.

That said, the customer is always advised up front, the gun is set aside with the sale price noted and NO MONEY is taken until the BG clears. Totally up to the customer if they want to wait or if they want to go elsewhere. If they consistently get delayed, there's always a UPIN.

The lesson I'm taking from this is call the LGS before heading down to do a transfer to see if they have any bs house rules.
That too.

My local gun store won't give copies of their FFL anymore because too many morons would randomly ship sh*t from all over the place, some things they couldn't transfer.

Now, I have to either use someone else, or, purchase, Email the FFL and have them Email a copy over. Such a pain in the a**.

Gun owners complain about customer service all the time, but seems like very few have any people skills. If they did, they would take 30 seconds to call and ask.

(Not taking a shot at the OP, just saying based on how many threads we have that could have been solved with a phone call).

Isn't this the guy who tweets his own security camera footage when someone [allegedly] jacks an item from his store? He probably has a big shoplift problem with that two story fancypants retail store.

But his policy still sucks and I'll pass
FIFY.

I think we still don't know what actually happened there.

Looking into it a bit afterwards it seems it’s not just shooters but a fair number of shops in both NH and MA are adopting this policy.

No, they're not. It's literally just a tiny handful, some box stores, and things that are like box stores. Stop buying guns at box stores if you get delays. It's that simple.

Most shops will release when legally allowed to.

That too.

My local gun store won't give copies of their FFL anymore because too many morons would randomly ship sh*t from all over the place, some things they couldn't transfer.

Now, I have to either use someone else, or, purchase, Email the FFL and have them Email a copy over. Such a pain in the a**.

I don't see how this is a big deal unless your local wont email copies to (wherever). Call the inbounding shop "hay I am getting XXX from YYY, can you email a copy of your FFL
to YYY? [email protected] ok fine!" if it takes anything more then that, then yeah, something is effed.

Gun owners complain about customer service all the time, but seems like very few have any people skills. If they did, they would take 30 seconds to call and ask.

(Not taking a shot at the OP, just saying based on how many threads we have that could have been solved with a phone call).

Nobody thinks to ask about it because not doing a default proceed is highly anomalous. There are probably less than a half dozen dealers in new england that don't allow a default
proceed. The rest of them all will. Someone calling to ask about that is like asking the tire shop if they're going to check the pressure after they put the new tires on. Nobody ever thinks to ask about it because its sort of an implied default thing that is supposed to just happen.

That aside, if someone is delay prone they should ALWAYS ask the dealer what their policy is about that. Nobody is going to get offended by the question.

Correct me if I am wrong, but no dealer would need to be involved in the sale of a long gun that is legal in the final jurisdiction.

You are wrong, if a gun is sold at retail by a dealer or travels via a carrier (shipped) it still goes through the same process as anything else. The only difference is there are less restrictions on who can buy long guns from a non-state-of-residence dealer. There is a dealer and a NICS check involved in nearly all gun transactions except private sales between individuals who BOTH reside in the same state.

I don't see how this is a big deal unless your local wont email copies to (wherever). Call the inbounding shop "hay I am getting XXX from YYY, can you email a copy of your FFL
to YYY? [email protected] ok fine!" if it takes anything more then that, then yeah, something is effed.
Efficiency.

I go to the FFL and know what they will transfer. If it is something in a grey area, I call to double check.

I order, and 2 seconds after ordering I Email the FFL copy with my order details. Done.

The FFL doesnt have to worry about dealing with that crap and I don't have to worry about the FFL taking a week to send the info. 2 days later I give them $30, do the rransfer and everyone is happy.

Efficiency.

I go to the FFL and know what they will transfer. If it is something in a grey area, I call to double check.

I order, and 2 seconds after ordering I Email the FFL copy with my order details. Done.

The FFL doesnt have to worry about dealing with that crap and I don't have to worry about the FFL taking a week to send the info. 2 days later I give them $30, do the rransfer and everyone is happy.

If it really takes that long you need to use different dealers. Although most of the decent ones have no problem sending or printing a "FILE COPY ONLY" job to a frequent flier customer for the purpose you indicate. Even without that though, most shops just want to get shit done and as soon as an auction finishes or whatever, that shit gets fired off to the other dealer or
vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom