• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL transfer

I Bought off Gun Broker ,gun shipped to my Local FFL here in Connecticut the same day it arrived the owner of the gun store sadly had a stroke and passed away a few days later, really unexpected and tragic. my gun is in there and the store has been closed ever since. What would be the correct procedure to have the firearm in my possession since these folks have been closed? I spoke to a part time employee and he said he could not do anything since the owner was the only one authorized to do so. I suggested to have it shipped to anothers ffl so i could complete the process. Its been 3 weeks since this whole thing happened.

Wow, that sucks. Broken chain of custody. I think there are some moves the estate can establish with the ATF in terms of inheritance of goods and continuing sales under special circumstances, but even if that is legit, it would be difficult and awkward to approach they surviving family about it now while they are grieving. Wonder if a call from you to the ATF would be a good or bad idea to find a solution. I generally avoid string the hornet's nest, but you might not have many other options to figure this out.

Call your local ATF agency and ask them.

New Haven Field Office
Resident Agent in Charge

150 Court Street, Room 643
New Haven, Connecticut 06510
USA View Map
Voice: (203) 773-2060

Hartford Field Office

21 Oak Street, Suite 303
Hartford, Connecticut 06106
USA View Map
Voice: (860) 293-2540

Or call the SLFU:
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT. 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290
Monday through Friday
8:30 am - 4:15 pm

Check to see if the employee is a RP (Responsible person) on the owner's FFL. Jack.
Employee said he had no ability to do stuff on his behalf and we were contacting via e mail and all of the sudden he stop replying. It's been almost 4weeks since this happened. I do have receipt from the store and the paperwork transaction from the store out of the state

Employee said he had no ability to do stuff on his behalf and we were contacting via e mail and all of the sudden he stop replying. It's been almost 4weeks since this happened. I do have receipt from the store and the paperwork transaction from the store out of the state
In that case, listen to allen -1. Jack.

Quick reading says that the ATF usually allows the inventory to be transferred to another FFL for 90 days before they take books and close things out. Not a definitive source, but a couple discussions of your exact situation I could find. I could not find anything in the ATF rulings and manual on this, but it is hard to search.

Quick reading says that the ATF usually allows the inventory to be transferred to another FFL for 90 days before they take books and close things out. Not a definitive source, but a couple discussions of your exact situation I could find. I could not find anything in the ATF rulings and manual on this, but it is hard to search.
Thank you for finding out and sharing . I will call the atf to bring up my situation to them and see what will happen

Well i just got off the phone with the local atf guys in new haven. They guy said it looks like someone is taking over the business but it will take months in order to get everything sorted out. How lucky im i?

Well i just got off the phone with the local atf guys in new haven. They guy said it looks like someone is taking over the business but it will take months in order to get everything sorted out. How lucky im i?

You should capitalize on this, think of it like buying a silencer and waiting for your Form-1. Your gun's safe in jail.

While you're waiting for it, go buy another one.

What kind of gun is it, anyway?

You should capitalize on this, think of it like buying a silencer and waiting for your Form-1. Your gun's safe in jail.

While you're waiting for it, go buy another one.

What kind of gun is it, anyway?
586 no dash smith&wesson unfired

Not your everyday find. Google tells me that it's pre-1986, (no dash). It's been sitting in someone's safe.

• 586 no dash, 1980 Introduction model
  • 586-1, 1986 radius stud package, floating hand
  • 586-2, 1987 changed hammer nose, bushing and associated parts
  • 586-M, 1987 Product warning by S&W: M over stamped to signify a modification by factory or warranty station for 586 and 586-1
  • 586-3, 1988 new yoke retention system
  • 586-4, 1993 change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, change extractor, Hogue grips
  • 586-5, 1997 delete 8 3/8" barrel/change to MIM thumbpiece/Ship with Master trigger locks
  • 586-6, 1997 change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, MIM hammer and trigger, change to internal lock.
  • 586-7, 2004 Performance Center .38 Super, 6-Shot unfluted cylinder, 4" barrel, Stainless Steel, 250 Made, seven shot with internal lock
  • 586-8, 2012 Reintroduction as a Classic Series with internal lock 6-shot 4" and 6" RR, WO TS SB[4]

Not your everyday find. Google tells me that it's pre-1986, (no dash). It's been sitting in someone's safe.

• 586 no dash, 1980 Introduction model
  • 586-1, 1986 radius stud package, floating hand
  • 586-2, 1987 changed hammer nose, bushing and associated parts
  • 586-M, 1987 Product warning by S&W: M over stamped to signify a modification by factory or warranty station for 586 and 586-1
  • 586-3, 1988 new yoke retention system
  • 586-4, 1993 change rear sight leaf, drill and tap frame, change extractor, Hogue grips
  • 586-5, 1997 delete 8 3/8" barrel/change to MIM thumbpiece/Ship with Master trigger locks
  • 586-6, 1997 change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, MIM hammer and trigger, change to internal lock.
  • 586-7, 2004 Performance Center .38 Super, 6-Shot unfluted cylinder, 4" barrel, Stainless Steel, 250 Made, seven shot with internal lock
  • 586-8, 2012 Reintroduction as a Classic Series with internal lock 6-shot 4" and 6" RR, WO TS SB[4]
Thanks for the info

I generally find the local ATF branch to be professional and helpful. They are apolitical and just have a job to do. I've met ~10 agents between Boston, Southern NH and CT (that is how many showed up at the Mill day one when they audited the 50 dealers here). One was a little brittle, but the rest were all great and easy to talk to. They always answer my questions quickly and with site/reference.

They are not always correct, but they try.

Back
Top Bottom