• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL Transfer Fees

The $50-60 transfer fee now or whatever is the new normal in MA is just for the FFL to offset the loss of outside business and encourage you from buying his own wares that are oftentimes still more expensive than your outside transfer gun plus the high transfer fee lol.

Contact a few of the FFLs near you and deal with the one that offers the best rate. Or, if you buy from one FFL enough, he SHOULD give you a better rate than to Joe Schmuck off the street that will never go back again. I've been going to one local FFL from pretty much since he opened. Not a lot of purchases, but he remembers me (I'm calling that a 'good' thing). I also reach out to a couple of local FFLs when I'm considering getting something new. To see if they either have the item, or can get it, and what the cost would be. I actually did that earlier today (email since I was "working" at the time) to one of them (he's a smaller setup, so he gets first shot).

Unless you're getting something rare, out of production, via an auction site, you might be surprised what some small FFLs will be able to do for you.

In Indiana, some shops offer you $20 for the first transfer and $5 for each additional gun you're transferring at that same time. Worked great for all those sub $100 stripped lowers to hoard.

In Indiana, some shops offer you $20 for the first transfer and $5 for each additional gun you're transferring at that same time. Worked great for all those sub $100 stripped lowers to hoard.
That were promptly lost in a "boating accident"?? ;) ;)

I've heard of transfer fees (in NH) in from $25-$35 (IIRC). Never needed to do that since I've only sold guns via FFL (usually to people from the PRM). I'm thinking of getting a Staccato P, which will require getting a FFL involved (either to receive it or if they have the configuration I want in store). I'm planning to talk with two of the local FFLs ahead of time to make sure there's no surprise on that cost.

Transfer fees are one of the things that are affected by having a good relationship with a local shop. And when you are buying, consider the cost to you if that shop wasn't there. My LGS knows I'll buy from them if it's something they sell or can get, but most of my purchases are at auctions so they know most of the time they will only get a transfer. Still, since I get new guns, suppressors, and cleaning stuff, and a lot of transfers there, they give me good deals. It works for both of use. Overall I spend less even if I was buying on-line, and they get a regular customer. Win win all around.

Support you LGS.

The normal for me is $25-$35.... The shop that charges $35 will do multiples for that price, I did 10 pistols all at once for the $35.00... I have heard of shops charging for each one, even though multiples can go on a single 4473. Shop around $50-60 is kinda high

The $50-60 transfer fee now or whatever is the new normal in MA is just for the FFL to offset the loss of outside business and encourage you from buying his own wares that are oftentimes still more expensive than your outside transfer gun plus the high transfer fee lol.
$50-60? [rofl][rofl]
New normal? [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

I have never paid $50.
I also don't go to sh*t dealers.

I guess I can understand a shop getting a bit upset, if you are transferring new Ma compliant guns through their shop without giving them a shot to price match, For the most part all my transfers are used or rare guns from Out of state, or laundered pistol frames from out of state. nothing they could really stock or get for me. So for them it is a quick $25-35 to open a box log it and do the 4473, most of the time an FA10 is not required. They put no money out and takes 15 20 minutes of their time

I pay $30 in Middleboro for GB inbounds, $50 for outbounds. If they ever had a Bearcat to sell, I'd buy it from them, but they haven't. They've ordered a rifle for me, and I've bought some ammo off their shelves; they sold a revolver for me and have another on consignment.

I paid $25 recently in Littleton for a FTF transfer that required an FFL 'cuz the dude had used up all his personal transfers.

I'm also on a Pacific Northwest forum and have seen $10 transfers offered there.

The normal for me is $25-$35.... The shop that charges $35 will do multiples for that price, I did 10 pistols all at once for the $35.00... I have heard of shops charging for each one, even though multiples can go on a single 4473. Shop around $50-60 is kinda high

You did 10 handguns all at one time, in Mass!, and the ATF didn't pay you a visit ???

$15-$25 here in Kentucky.

Suck it commies! (Just kidding…I love you guys, but you should really move to Kentucky)
20 dollars at my local FFL 3mins away and I live in east chuck, north central MA

I would never transfer in anything he has in the case. As he is very fair with prices.

But I buy a lot of levers and some expensive 0/U, he doesn't even want to bother searching for that shit as hes more black gun than fudd gun.

I'd never done a multiple before a few weeks ago when I bought 2 levers, and he tried to charge me just 20 for both. I gave him the 40. He also had a nice handgun in his case that will likely be mine soon.

Last edited:
You did 10 handguns all at one time, in Mass!, and the ATF didn't pay you a visit ???
If it was a person to person transfer like between father son and not new guns it might not hit the trip lever. You'd be surprised at the amount of guns transferred from father to son at one time, or from some guy that just got a restraining order transferring his whole collection to his buddy....... etc.... It happens a lot.

New guns brought in, Id think it would kick off a look.

Last edited:
I’ve seen $50-$100 and will never do a transfer with those shops.

GRF used to do $10 transfers and would even ship out to an FFL for $10. I miss those guys.

Good prices went up from $20 just a few years ago to about $25-$35 now.

Yup, the where all used guns, part of a collection an older gentleman was clearing out. it probably would have thrown a flag it it was from different dealers. Anyone know how many guns you can list on a single 4473? I think it is around 7 and do they say the number being transferred when doing the background check?

The fact that a frame transfer costs more than a complete firearms transfer leads me to believe that there must be alot more work involved for the ffl? 🤔

😉
actually less work because they don't have to fill out an FA10, but kinda like the same way some dealers will sell you an Anderson AR lower for $200, you are in Ma and they feel they want to be compensated for the increased liability

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom