• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL Not Communicating

Was this something specific to Buds or would you see this with any online retailer?

I see it with many online retailers not just buds , buds tombstone, and grab a gun seem to be the worst. Most of their stuff is drop shipped so it just a big pain in the ass

there are a couple that are really good and easy to work with though , but not many from my experience

I see it with many online retailers not just buds , buds tombstone, and grab a gun seem to be the worst. Most of their stuff is drop shipped so it just a big pain in the ass

there are a couple that are really good and easy to work with though , but not many from my experience
Out of curiosity, which would you say are the better ones to work with?

I ask because I’m about to pull the trigger on a pistol through an online retailer and trying to decide if this is the best course of action.

Last edited:
Final post for me on this thread: Hitman finalized the transfer. No issues. Put 100 rounds through the FNX today. Fantastic gun. Have not shot the Benelli yet. Maybe next weekend. Thank you to all who were interested and responded to this thread. Cheers!

I was a preferred transfer spot for Buds once , then had to shut them off

damaged guns , no paperwork , constant phone calls to try and figure out why this gun came to my store and who it was for , then the final straw was whenhalf a dozen guns show up in one week with no paperwork , broken sights , missing mags , scratched receivers and now all my problem

chasing buds around For paperwork and call tags just wasn’t worth it anymore
Out of curiosity, what do you do when that happens?

I always thought the FFL just received the box and let it sit there until someone showed up to claim it, I didnt think you would even open it. When the buyer shows up, if it is broken, it is up to them to arrange a return with the online retailer.

I ask because I’m about to pull the trigger on a pistol through an online retailer and trying to decide if this is the best course of action.
Oh boy, here we go again!!! [popcorn]
6 pages later, and you haven't learned anything.

I always thought the FFL just received the box and let it sit there until someone showed up to claim it, I didnt think you would even open it. When the buyer shows up, if it is broken, it is up to them to arrange a return with the online retailer.

You have to open the box to verify the serial number on the gun to log the gun in your bound book properly. You can't just let a gun sit around in your shop without being logged in if its
part of shop business. While brand new guns get shipped in boxes with matching serial numbers, you can't trust that number on every box that comes into the store, you gotta open it and look at the gun itself. Especially on a personal/GB transfer where a used gun might come in a cardboard box or some other owner provided, non original packaging.

-Mike

Buds customer service is sending him a return label. That's a good as it's going to get with them right now. Next step is to keep calling, emailing, visiting (not the best use of my time though). If he does return the products, I'm not going down the credit card route. If he doesn't, I can get the card company to pressure Buds.

If anyone else is reading this thread and learns something, then I consider it a success. That was part of my reasoning for posting from the start, actually.
Buds has a phone number? And people answering calls?

One might be certainly be inclined to pick an LGS just because of this topic content alone! It looks like the OP and yourself are "new" with respect to posting / asking for advice. My 2 cents say to pick a well known shop / FFL and deal with them. Especially if you are newly licensed. I like all the guys in Littleton at the old mill. I've also shopped at other locations like FS in Woburn. I'm typically more inclined to visit the mill in Littleton as the location and hours are more convenient for me. Great guys there. I've referred many and received no complaints.

Whatever you do, don't go to The Gun Parlor!

One might be certainly be inclined to pick an LGS just because of this topic content alone! It looks like the OP and yourself are "new" with respect to posting / asking for advice. My 2 cents say to pick a well known shop / FFL and deal with them. Especially if you are newly licensed. I like all the guys in Littleton at the old mill. I've also shopped at other locations like FS in Woburn. I'm typically more inclined to visit the mill in Littleton as the location and hours are more convenient for me. Great guys there. I've referred many and received no complaints.
Wouldn’t necessarily say I’m new, but I’m always open to learning about something I know less than others about (i.e. in this case online firearm sales).

we have to open the box to log the firearm into our records , once the box is open it turns into Pandora’s box if the item is damaged , or missing parts, it’s not as simple as just waiting for someone to pick up their box, 9 times out of 10 the correct paperwork or customer info isn’t even in the box and you’re tracking down a seller that didn’t even ship the item or even actually saw the item because many online items are drop shipped

I’ve had seller claim it was “the shop” that damaged the item , or stole the bolt out of bolt actions 🤦🏻‍♂️

if it needs to be returned then it’s up to me to chase the seller for the call tag , box the item back up and depending how its being returned I may even have to take the item to the post office to have it shipped , and on top of that it gets lost in the return voyage I’m the one who has to claim a “lost or stolen firearm” at that point

all for a transfer everyone loves to bitch about because “it’s so easy” and only takes 5 minutes

we have to open the box to log the firearm into our records , once the box is open it turns into Pandora’s box if the item is damaged , or missing parts, it’s not as simple as just waiting for someone to pick up their box, 9 times out of 10 the correct paperwork or customer info isn’t even in the box and you’re tracking down a seller that didn’t even ship the item or even actually saw the item because many online items are drop shipped

I’ve had seller claim it was “the shop” that damaged the item , or stole the bolt out of bolt actions 🤦🏻‍♂️

if it needs to be returned then it’s up to me to chase the seller for the call tag , box the item back up and depending how its being returned I may even have to take the item to the post office to have it shipped , and on top of that it gets lost in the return voyage I’m the one who has to claim a “lost or stolen firearm” at that point

all for a transfer everyone loves to bitch about because “it’s so easy” and only takes 5 minutes

Wow, yeah, no one ever talks about that mess.

FYI ... I just sent you 3 shotguns from 3 different online vendors. Thank you in advance. Dont steal any parts form those guns. (Jk) :) [laugh]

Wow, yeah, no one ever talks about that mess.

FYI ... I just sent you 3 shotguns from 3 different online vendors. Thank you in advance. Dont steal any parts form those guns. (Jk) :) [laugh]

did I mention my transfer fee just went up to $300 per gun??
See you next week 😂🤣🤣🤣😂

While brand new guns get shipped in boxes with matching serial numbers, you can't trust that number on every box that comes into the store, you gotta open it and look at the gun itself. Especially on a personal/GB transfer where a used gun might come in a cardboard box or some other owner provided, non original packaging.
If I recall correctly, buying all four new guns at Four Seasons I've never not had
the salesman read the frame S/N out loud digit by digit as he did data entry,
compared it to the barcode sticker on the box,
and then had a colleague drop everything and confirm the number,
and then had me certify the number in the form to the frame and sticker.

In retrospect, it's theatre like two Minuteman operators
verifying an Emergency Action Message nuke launch code.

Just imagine the horror story that must have had Carl training his crew
up to that level of triple-checking. (Even if it was a cautionary tale
about some other FFL).

ETA: It was calsdad!
@calsdad

Dude, you're gonna need to wear a surplus police body cam
when you unbox/log incoming items.

"It was that way when I got it" is more convincing when you can show
the customer that there was no bolt in the box
when you cut through the shipping tape.

Sigh.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, buying all four new guns at Four Seasons I've never not had
the salesman read the frame S/N out loud digit by digit as he did data entry,
compared it to the barcode sticker on the box,
and then had a colleague drop everything and confirm the number,
and then had me certify the number in the form to the frame and sticker.

In retrospect, it's theatre like two Minuteman operators
verifying an Emergency Action Message nuke launch code.

Just imagine the horror story that must have had Carl training his crew
up to that level of triple-checking. (Even if it was a cautionary tale
about some other FFL).

Dude, you're gonna need to wear a surplus police body cam
when you unbox/log incoming items.

"It was that way when I got it" is more convincing when you can show
the customer that there was no bolt in the box
when you cut through the shipping tape.

Sigh.

yup because every shop wants to swipe the bolt out of a pink keystone Cricket 22 🤦🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom