• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL Not Communicating

Are we talking a.Shield and Maverick 88 or STI / Atlas and Guerini grade ?

Sounds like he may be dealing with other things besides his shop if he is a cop.

Yep. Did you check with them prior to shipping to make sure they were open and able to accept and not on modified hours?
I'm going to bet that neither he nor puds actually did this..... a 12-second conversation probably could have avoided all of this... " puds: hey we have you on file we want to send two guns for mr. So-and-so for a transfer will you take them? " Guy: I can take them but just know that I'm going on vacation for 4 weeks to bussinblah village in timbuktu and I'm having a guy sign for the packages / log guns in but no transfers will actually be done until I get back" etc.

Bud's stocks little if anything. The stuff is usually drop shipped from a stocking distributor. So when the FFL receives it the shipper won't be Bud's on the shipping label. This helps to complicate matters. I've seen cases where a stocking dist. did not have the item and Bud's refunded the buyer. If the dealer is on Bud's list and the item is available, there is little communication with the dealer, it just comes. In these screwed up times, it just may be a waiting game to see if the item becomes available. Looks like your dealer is of no help. Work to get a refund from Bud's. Jack.
This video shows they have a warehouse full of guns.
View: https://youtu.be/mmOD-_RD8Fg

tell me he doesn't go under cover as a giant banana....

No, but he's still easy to spot because he typically leaves a trail of gummies with a particularly NSFW shape.

@RyanMc , welcome! You can now see that NES loves nothing more than a mystery. Kick back and watch the dumpster fire unfold while everyone weighs in before your FFL coughs up the goods.

200w.gif

Did you ever think the shop owner is out doing a hit. I know bad joke,but what
kind of nut names his gun shop Hitman. It should be something nice like
Massacre Arms.

I believe it is an awful play of words based on the owners last name.
Do FFL licenses run for a year? His isn't due to expire until 5/01/21 which means he renewed it.

Nothing good or bad to say about Hitman. They do show $35 transfer cost on their website for out of state purchases.

I am more interested in why you purchased online as opposed to working directly with your preferred local dealer? Sometimes Buds has stock but when I get inbound transfers from Buds they are more often drop shipped from one of the distributors. I have accounts with the same distributors...

Buds has the same acquisition cost as the rest of us when drop shipping. They may have paid less if they have it in stock by taking advantage of various stocking dealer programs (buy 9 get 1 free) that others wont buy a pallet to keep that gun in stock at lower cost. But in general they have the same cost basis. They are willing to make less per gun then most LGS because of the volume they do. Your LGS also will have to charge tax. But if you have any issues or concerns, your LGS will be there to support you, can physically take the gun and examine, or ship back for warranty, etc.

So use your LGS in the future and avoid issues like this.

LGS from here on out. I bought online right after I got my LTC which happened just as gun stores were getting shutdown. Honestly, a bit of desperation to have a weapon just in case sh!t hit the fan during the pandemic. Also, a bit of naïveté on the whole process, which would have been much simpler if I just waiting for everything to open up.

A quick check of the FFL's FacePlant page shows no updates since May 1. The owner of Hitman is a Tyngsborough police officer who has apparently had some problems with his department lately. It's been in the papers. That could help explain what's going on here.

I also think there is a possibility that he may have contracted Covid-19 or has some other accident/disability or medical-related issue.

Well, that sucks. I’ll check that out.

sometimes nothing is easy when you buy online instead of at a lgs.
I've never had an issue doing a transfer for something bought online that was on the LGS' end. Except one where if a gun is shipped USPS it doesn't get delivered to one LGS, it sits across the street in a PO box they rent.

No, but he's still easy to spot because he typically leaves a trail of gummies with a particularly NSFW shape.

@RyanMc , welcome! You can now see that NES loves nothing more than a mystery. Kick back and watch the dumpster fire unfold while everyone weighs in before your FFL coughs up the goods.

200w.gif

Best gif for 2020 and beyond.

A quick call to the local PD isn’t necessarily a bad idea just to see what they may know. What I really don’t want to do, though, is impact anyone’s business. I do hope the FFL is OK health wise and it’s just some other extenuating circumstance.

Patience is likely my best path forward.
I think a town cop owns that gun shop.
He's been in hot water doing business while on duty.
Edit:
Yup, under DOJ investigation. You may be screwed.
In 2018, Whitman was placed on unpaid leave after multiple complaints were made that a police cruiser assigned to him was parked outside Hitman Firearms, his business at 404 Middlesex Road, on numerous occasions. Sources said it was confirmed that Whitman was working at his business while still on duty.

That January, the Board of Selectmen convened in an executive session pertaining to Whitman that lasted nearly four hours. He was later allowed to return to work in the department.

Last edited:
LGS from here on out. I bought online right after I got my LTC which happened just as gun stores were getting shutdown. Honestly, a bit of desperation to have a weapon just in case sh!t hit the fan during the pandemic. Also, a bit of naïveté on the whole process, which would have been much simpler if I just waiting for everything to open up.

Don't beat yourself up over that- seems like you took the best course of action with the information on hand. Without any experience to the contrary, you'd assume an FFL set up w/ Bud's and one that gives you the OK for a transfer would follow through. Keep trying to reach the FFL for this one.

If not given already, for future reference I'm sure you'll get more specific referrals for responsive FFL's. I think others have already mentioned the Mill in Littleton which should be relatively close to you. Set yourself up with a place to practice so that you can do so once your firearms are out of purgatory. Strange times, so who knows what's causing the lack of return communication.

Bud's stocks little if anything. The stuff is usually drop shipped from a stocking distributor. So when the FFL receives it the shipper won't be Bud's on the shipping label. This helps to complicate matters. I've seen cases where a stocking dist. did not have the item and Bud's refunded the buyer. If the dealer is on Bud's list and the item is available, there is little communication with the dealer, it just comes. In these screwed up times, it just may be a waiting game to see if the item becomes available. Looks like your dealer is of no help. Work to get a refund from Bud's. Jack.

Does buds stock some items and not others? My last 5 purchases from Buds I have been able to pick the SN, could be down to a science I guess but seems an awful lot like they stock Glocks & AR lowers anyway.

The FFL I use (I tend to marry one LGS until they piss me off twice) will enthusiastically say "yes we are taking transfers" but he is more bothered for being distracted than anything, doesn't track what you are shipping, doesn't want you to seek permission as it just wastes time.

Somehow they get multiple shipments from me all in the same pile for when I show up, they don't even call me after the 1st item, just assume I know the tracking and will show when its all there.

All depends on your FFL. Am talking NH so may be simpler too. Buying from an LGS for me is almost never simpler, rarely do they have what I want, half the time their distributors don't, usually the $25 transfer still makes it cheaper to buy online, and where I go the FFL says its often a better business model for him to just collect transfer fees without having to stock, order, chase orders etc - for instance doesn't want to be chasing a some odd pistol around in his network when he can just grab a transfer fee.

Anyway, just saying the OP isn't doing anything weird just sounds like maybe his FFL is gone fishing.

I'm going to bet that neither he nor puds actually did this..... a 12-second conversation probably could have avoided all of this... " puds: hey we have you on file we want to send two guns for mr. So-and-so for a transfer will you take them? " Guy: I can take them but just know that I'm going on vacation for 4 weeks to bussinblah village in timbuktu and I'm having a guy sign for the packages / log guns in but no transfers will actually be done until I get back" etc.

Confirmed with him in advance. Conversation assumes he'll actually pick up the phone or answer voicemails. If you run a small business, which I did for 10 years, and you don't communicate with customers, it's probably not right for him.

If you paid by card just call the card company,and dispute the charges.

Confirmed with him in advance. Conversation assumes he'll actually pick up the phone or answer voicemails. If you run a small business, which I did for 10 years, and you don't communicate with customers, it's probably not right for him.

So you actually talked to the local guy on the phone before you bought/shipped the guns? If he hasn't at least responded then that's just poor business on his part.

I think a town cop owns that gun shop.
He's been in hot water doing business while on duty.
Edit:
Yup, under DOJ investigation. You may be screwed.

Well if he still has a valid FFL there's nothing stopping him from punting the guns out to another dealer if he doesn't have the
time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom