• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL needed to build and sell uppers?

ArmySGTPM

Army Veteran
I know that there are limits on the number of private sales individuals are allowed to do without having an FFL. But I was wondering if there are laws prohibiting building and selling AR upper receivers without an FFL? I enjoy building and working with the AR platform and would like to build some custom sticks but cant afford to own them all myself so I was thinking of building and selling custom uppers as a hobby but I want to make sure if I did I would not be violating any state or federal law

Yeah I just didn't know if the selling of different uppers would be looked as a dealer of sorts

Uppers, no. But I was told during our last compliance check that we would need a manufacturers license just to sell ARs that we assembled from uppers and lowers ourselves. She said it didn't matter if you mated a complete upper and lower, assembled the whole thing from a pile of parts, or built the thing from raw steal/aluminum. I personally only believe that the latter is 'manufacturing', but it's not my opinion that counts. As long as you are not mating the uppers to lowers and selling the complete rifles I would say you're okay under both MA and Federal law.

You could be classified as a dealer, but not a gun dealer. Just a dealer in retail merchandise. That might require a dealer or merchant's license depending on your town.

Watch out for zoning issues arising from declaring yourself as a merchant.

Back
Top Bottom