• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL license

I know several people with FFLs on their home property, and they all have sheds or some sort of structure separate from their house. A believe many local laws require a separate structure or separate entrance without access to the house.

As I see it this is a no brainer and to your benifit as a FFL as if you were a ffl and the licenced premisis was your house when BATFE wants to come calling and the licence has your street address attached to it they can search the entire house if they had a mind to..

But if the licensed premisis was 123 main st unit B and your house is 123 main st they have no reason to search your house as it isnt the licensed premisis.

At least thats how it was suggested when I had my business as a 01 FFL back from 1985 to 2000. In Nevada , Carson city..
I
know several people with FFLs on their home property, and they all have sheds or some sort of structure separate from their house. A believe many local laws require a separate structure or separate entrance without access to the house.

As I see it this is a no brainer and to your benifit as a FFL as if you were a ffl and the licenced premisis was your house when BATFE wants to come calling and the licence has your street address attached to it they can search the entire house if they had a mind to..

But if the licensed premisis was 123 main st unit B and your house is 123 main st they have no reason to search your house as it isnt the licensed premisis.

At least thats how it was suggested when I had my business as a 01 FFL back from 1985 to 2000. In Nevada , Carson city..

That is incorrect. Boy there is a lot of bad info here.

The ATF can only inspect the areas of your home where you will be doing your business.
When I had a FFL in CT, out of my home, my ATF inspector specifically went over this. They could inspect (not search) only the parts of the house where you told them you did business. In my case, it was a part of my basement, and my kitchen, where I did transfers to my students, friends, and referrals.

By inspect, I mean, they had a right to enter the space. They could not search it. Inspection allows them to confirm that you have all the necessary signage up as required by law.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I know several people with FFLs on their home property, and they all have sheds or some sort of structure separate from their house. A believe many local laws require a separate structure or separate entrance without access to the house.

This is a result of the state of MA law. I've never seen anyone put the location of their FFL in a lawn shed anywhere other than MA. I don't know any municipalities that have gun dealer specific zoning codes for residential zoned areas. I was going to move mine to the second floor of my barn at my next renewal, but my barn 's second floor was a finished, insulated 20x30 ft space with electricity and HVAC.

Last edited:
Well this was how it was in 1985 when I was last inspected as a FFL & SOT.
maybe things have changed but that is how it was in Carson City Nevada in and around 1985-2000.

That is incorrect. Boy there is a lot of bad info here.

The ATF can only inspect the areas of your home where you will be doing your business.
When I had a FFL in CT, out of my home, my ATF inspector specifically went over this. They could inspect (not search) only the parts of the house where you told them you did business. In my case, it was a part of my basement, and my kitchen, where I did transfers to my students, friends, and referrals.

By inspect, I mean, they had a right to enter the space. They could not search it. Inspection allows them to confirm that you have all the necessary signage up as required by law.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

This is a result of the state of MA law. I've never seen anyone put the location of their FFL in a lawn shed anywhere other than MA. I don't know any municipalities that have gun dealer specific zoning codes for residential zoned areas. I was going to move mine to the second floor of my barn at my next renewal, but my barn 's second floor was a finished, insulated 20x30 ft space with electricity and HVAC.

Back
Top Bottom