FFL license

Need a friend to transfer some guns to so you aren't using it solely for personal use. .. I know a guy who'd be happy to buy some fun stuff off of you

Plenty of threads on this already. In MA, if you don't have a dedicated (commercial, non residence) store front with dedicated hours, forget about it. You aren't doing it out of your home. I assume the op is not talking C&R FFL.

Plenty of threads on this already. In MA, if you don't have a dedicated (commercial, non residence) store front with dedicated hours, forget about it. You aren't doing it out of your home. I assume the op is not talking C&R FFL.

Why does every one say this? I know 2 people with in 10 minutes of my house who have their 01 out of their houses and do not have a store front. If Adam didn't take off from plympton he would make the 3rd home based ffl but he did have a small store front. It really depends on your local PD and town ordinances.

Why does every one say this? I know 2 people with in 10 minutes of my house who have their 01 out of their houses and do not have a store front. If Adam didn't take off from plympton he would make the 3rd home based ffl but he did have a small store front. It really depends on your local PD and town ordinances.
MA law prohibits the issuance of a state dealer's license to a residential address. If you are engaging in FFL activity that does not require a state dealers license (for example, selling only to other FFLs or working as a gunwriter/catalog photographer/tech consultant) you can do so out of a resident provided you are in compliance with local law and zoning.

The ATF will NOT grant you a license in Mass if you don't start with a "commercial" property and have a suitable place.. first. When we got ours, they were very clear on this.

You may know people with 01's but they are likely grandfathered in and are not working out of their domicile, which is strictly verboten. I know several who were doing this in their house before the change back in "the before time". Each and every one of them was kicked out of their house into an outbuilding. If I am not mistaken the rule was further refined to prevent the shop from having a direct entry to the domicile AND couldn't have any living quarters in the structure.

The ATF will NOT grant you a license in Mass if you don't start with a "commercial" property and have a suitable place.. first. When we got ours, they were very clear on this.

I wonder if anyone has tried for an activity that is specifically accepted as a reason for an FFL, but does not require a MA dealer's license, and does not violate any local zoning regulation. For example, a gunwriter or tech consultant for a manufacturer. Such individuals used to be able to receive guns without an FFL, but that exemption now covers only W2 and not 1099 employees. The ATF has specifically stated that they will grant FFLs for such purposes.

So, my guess, is the FFL statement was absolutely correct for someone opening a shop. I doubt they have even encountered the other situation in MA.

I wonder if anyone has tried for an activity that is specifically accepted as a reason for an FFL, but does not require a MA dealer's license, and does not violate any local zoning regulation. For example, a gunwriter or tech consultant for a manufacturer. Such individuals used to be able to receive guns without an FFL, but that exemption now covers only W2 and not 1099 employees. The ATF has specifically stated that they will grant FFLs for such purposes.

So, my guess, is the FFL statement was absolutely correct for someone opening a shop. I doubt they have even encountered the other situation in MA.

I know someone with FFL but no state dealer license, based out of his house and sells strictly on the Internet. I know of another in a residential zone, likely a separate building, no idea what he does.

Adams place the store front had its own side entrance into the garage and right up the stairs. I suspect it was zoned appropriately to be considered not residential.

Forget about the 01. Only go 07. You will have all the dealer privileges and you can be in an industrial location without a storefront. Rent a closet in a mill building for cheap, get licensed and take it from there. Just make sure first that the local PD will issue the state licenses without a hassle. You can get started for almost nothing and can build from there. Ask me or any one of the other six 07s in the "empire" how we know. 90% of what you have been told about getting the FFL is baloney. Jack.

Title needs an edit, As FFL = Federal Firearms License just toss in an additional license for good measure ?
As in PIN Number? Jack.

- - - Updated - - -

Title needs an edit, As FFL = Federal Firearms License just toss in an additional license for good measure ?
As in PIN Number? Jack.

Exactly.

Getting a FFL out of your home is very straight forward and hinges entirely on zoning. The key is whether the activity fits into your towns "Customary home occupation" or "home occupation" definition. It usually does. So it comes down to the moonbattyness of your zoning and/or building officials.

Michaela Dunne is on the record as acknowledging that a home based FFL is legal within the Commonwealth's laws, as long as the holder does not intend to engage in retail firearms sales or gunsmithing out of his house.

Don

Last edited:

You could have a business that worked entirely in interstate sales. Via gunbroker.com. There are dealers that sell thousands of guns per year via Gunbroker. All the ATF cares about is that you are in compliance with local laws and that you genuinely intend to engage in commerce. It is not difficult to show that you can have a viable business and never have a single person visit your home.

Don

Forget about the 01. Only go 07. You will have all the dealer privileges and you can be in an industrial location without a storefront. Rent a closet in a mill building for cheap, get licensed and take it from there. Just make sure first that the local PD will issue the state licenses without a hassle. You can get started for almost nothing and can build from there. Ask me or any one of the other six 07s in the "empire" how we know. 90% of what you have been told about getting the FFL is baloney. Jack.

07s can have silencers per ma law,and do anything an 01 can.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10A

Also, if you choose to get a SOT for $500/yr, an 07 can buy post sample machine guns from dealers going out of business without a law letter. An 01 can not.
Go on Gunbroker and search on "no law letter"

Don

MA is business friendly until it comes to
Guns.

Sent from my mobile phone from behind enemy lines.

You may know people with 01's but they are likely grandfathered in and are not working out of their domicile, which is strictly verboten. I know several who were doing this in their house before the change back in "the before time". Each and every one of them was kicked out of their house into an outbuilding. If I am not mistaken the rule was further refined to prevent the shop from having a direct entry to the domicile AND couldn't have any living quarters in the structure.
Interesting. I guess this explains why both of the FFL's that I know without storefronts work out of outbuildings on their property (one is a converted garage) that have separate driveway/parking areas from the house.

There are dealers that sell thousands of guns per year via Gunbroker.
Don

Really? All I ever see on GB are hundreds of listings with "0" bids on them.. I am not saying it isn't a viable way to sell product.. but it doesn't seem like a way one could make a living.. unless you're a huge shop who can just churn.. but I am getting off topic on somethign I am purely curious about.

Interesting. I guess this explains why both of the FFL's that I know without storefronts work out of outbuildings on their property (one is a converted garage) that have separate driveway/parking areas from the house.

This is a zoning issue, not an ATF issue. ATF only requires the place of business be legally zoned for the FFLs business.

It looks like the fee is dependant on a few things not something everyone that is a 07 ffl required to apply for.
http://johnpierceesq.com/?p=857
You might want to read that article again... It clearly says that all 07 FFL's need to register and pay.

...."Is it stupid? Of course it is! But legally there is no question. If you are getting, or already have, an 06, 07, or 10 FFL then you need to consider the ITAR yearly registration fee as a cost of doing business and register"....

Really? All I ever see on GB are hundreds of listings with "0" bids on them.. I am not saying it isn't a viable way to sell product.. but it doesn't seem like a way one could make a living.. unless you're a huge shop who can just churn.. but I am getting off topic on somethign I am purely curious about.

They are out there.

I'll give you an example. Valley Firearms in Shelton CT is a tiny little storefront. I'd be surprised if they sold 500 guns a year out of the store. But they have over 10,000!!! positive feedbacks on gunbroker.

Here's a link to their review page on gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.aspx?User=25450

Here's a link to a Google streetview view of their little store.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...0x89e7e07118f319b3:0x8343bce479f60335!6m1!1e1

Back
Top Bottom