• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Few LEO questions

So i just have a few questions some of you well informed members may be able to shed some light on.

-If im a LEO and own a ma compliant ar. Can i put a collapsable stock on it to match my issued patrol rifle...training purposes etc. Can i just do this or do i need a letter from my chief to do so.

-Do any members here have template "chief letters"? For example if i wanted to buy a non compliant gun. Looking for something that includes chapters and sections on weapons ban and reasoning why i can purchase/own the new product etc.

Thanks for the help.

-Doug

1. See this
Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

2. Not quite sure what your asking. If you mean what does a FFL need to sell you a non-compliant hand gun then it all depends on the FFL. Some will do it with your badge and ID others could require a department letter.

Last edited:
So i just have a few questions some of you well informed members may be able to shed some light on.

-If im a LEO and own a ma compliant ar. Can i put a collapsable stock on it to match my issued patrol rifle...training purposes etc. Can i just do this or do i need a letter from my chief to do so.

-Do any members here have template "chief letters"? For example if i wanted to buy a non compliant gun. Looking for something that includes chapters and sections on weapons ban and reasoning why i can purchase/own the new product etc.

Thanks for the help.

-Doug

Doug,

Chief Glidden's official answer (from last May's LE Seminar) is NO! He and EOPS claim that it is illegal for you to do this.

Do LEOs do this or build up non-complaint "AWs"? Yes of course they do, and that is why Ron is addressing it at all his seminars. Ditto on possession of post-ban hi-cap mags for same.

Didn't a MA cop just get charged with doing that last month or 2? Soon to be ex-wife pulled an RO on him and his guns were confiscated and they found the AR with evil features that was not pre-ban and they are jacking him up on it. I was told about this verbally, so I don't have a link or more details.

Didn't a MA cop just get charged with doing that last month or 2? Soon to be ex-wife pulled an RO on him and his guns were confiscated and they found the AR with evil features that was not pre-ban and they are jacking him up on it. I was told about this verbally, so I don't have a link or more details.

Gawd, gotta love those RO's that can ruin someones life just like that.

Doug,

Chief Glidden's official answer (from last May's LE Seminar) is NO! He and EOPS claim that it is illegal for you to do this.

Do LEOs do this or build up non-complaint "AWs"? Yes of course they do, and that is why Ron is addressing it at all his seminars. Ditto on possession of post-ban hi-cap mags for same.

so LEO cant have post ban high cap mags? Am I missing something?

Leo's can have post ban Hicap mags if they are for law enforcement purposes. If your issued a glock 22 and have some post ban G22 hicaps its not a problem. However if you by an Ak or a Fn 5.7 and new production post pan hicaps you are not covered.

It's relatively easy for a LEO to justify post-ban hi-caps for a handgun s/he may carry off-duty . . . however it's nowhere as easy to justify post-ban hi-cap mags for a long gun that is personally owned and not carried on duty.

[rofl]These rules and regulations in this communist country of massachusetts has gotten out of hand.. I just have a hard time thinking about these sheep sitting around at a table making up STUPID nonsense about what you can and cant own. I am surprised they do not have a leash law for bullets yet.. wow what idiots... I shouldn't give them any ideas though huh![wink]

No, they didn't. If they did, there would be a large thread here about it. There has not been any AWB-based prosecution in MA, to date, that I'm aware of. (if there is, someone should link the story in this thread... )

-Mike

No, they can't, except for their duty gun.

It all depends on who you believe. While Ron Glidden is "usually right" the reality is that nobody knows how this would go down in court.

IMHO, The odds of a LEO even getting charged with an MA AWB violation are right up there with me winning the powerball, absent some other overriding criminal act that makes them not a LEO anymore.

-Mike

IMHO, The odds of a LEO even getting charged with an MA AWB violation are right up there with me winning the powerball, absent some other overriding criminal act that makes them not a LEO anymore.

-Mike[/QUOTE]

Ditto

Back
Top Bottom