• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fermenting

peterk123

NES Member
Any of you guys/gals fermenting foods? I am canning, dehydrating, doing a bit of pickling (guess that is fermenting). Interested if it is a worthwhile rabbit hole to go down. Would love to make salamis and dry aged hams (I think that is fermenting as well), but I think that requires some specialized stuff. Pete

Fermenting vegetables is an awesome addition to your family for health and well being. I eat one or two cups of a ferment every day and it has done wonders for my GI tract.
If you listen to podcasts, try these two:

I ferment kraut and pickles from scratch (which isn't saying much)...

Not pickling though, as this is for live cultures. ( lactic acid fermentation ) which is good for the tummy.
Some folks think that curing with vinegar is the same but it isn't.

Sauerkraut is the easiest way to start learning...

Last edited:
I’ve never fermented anything. I’ve made some quick pickles but that doesn’t really count.

Fermenting is very popular these days. Everything from fruits and vegetables to charcuterie.

There are plenty of books on the subject - check with your library.

you should Alonso find plenty of help from the internet. Google it.

Always have something fermenting - probably more in the winter than the summer
Love it and am convinced that it helps with my health overall

Wild fermenting is different then pickling - it is basically putting vegetables into a brine and an anaerobic environment for the natural lactobacillus found on the vegetables to grow - the acidic and salty environment keeps bad bacteria from growing and spoiling the veggies.

While most people will only ferment for a couple of weeks (texture/taste) you can let it ferment for months without any spoilage.

Sauerkraut super easy to make: Chop cabbage, salt with 1-2 TBSP salt, sit for 30 minutes, smash/squeeze the cabbage to exude liquid, pack into jar and push cabbage down until it is under water and place a weight on top to keep everything under the salty water

While air locks are not needed it does help (particularly with mold, etc.)

I use the following airlocks and weights for simple easy fermenting in ball jars
Amazon product ASIN B01M73T3ZHView: https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fermenter-Wide-Mouth-Lid/dp/B01M73T3ZH

Amazon product ASIN B06Y3BFV3CView: https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Weight-Fermentation-Sauerkraut-Fermenting/dp/B06Y3BFV3C

Sandor Katz has a couple of good books on fermenting (but tons of other good ones)

This one is more of a tome and has about everything you need about fermenting but it goes pretty deep into history etc.
Amazon product ASIN 160358286XView: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Fermentation-Depth-Exploration-Essential/dp/160358286X

He has a smaller book which is more recipe oriented
Amazon product ASIN 1603586288View: https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Fermentation-Flavor-Nutrition-Live-Culture/dp/1603586288

Mine is still covid closed! I have not had access to a library book since Feb.
I haven’t too been to the library in quite a while. But that hasn’t kept me from borrowing books. My library has curbside pickup and if I get desperate, they have a few appointments each day.

Barnes and noble is open. Not quite the selection that the library consortium has and not as cheap. But it’s an option.

Any of you guys/gals fermenting foods? I am canning, dehydrating, doing a bit of pickling (guess that is fermenting). Interested if it is a worthwhile rabbit hole to go down. Would love to make salamis and dry aged hams (I think that is fermenting as well), but I think that requires some specialized stuff. Pete

This popped up just recently. SeriousEats is a very reliable source.

The Science of Lactic Acid Fermentation

WTF does this line mean I wonder...?

Despite what social media would have you believe, fermentation is not some new-school, fleeting chef technique reserved for restaurants with white tablecloths (or white chefs),

The Science of Lactic Acid Fermentation

Thank you. Interesting article. Got into the science of it. I pickled pickerel last winter because we caught some monsters through the ice. I have to admit they were delicious. Best part was the the process completely broke down the bones, making them edible. It's crappie fishing time right now and we have started to catch our share of pickerel. Going to have to make another batch of the stuff. It's funny, I never thought of it as a form of fermentation, bought no doubt that it is. Packing raw fish and have it be safe to eat after having it sit in the basement for a couple of weeks; well ya, I guess that is fermentation.

I am going to tackle cabbage next.

that means Serious Eats just posted it October 23. It also means that you can depend on the information Serious Eats provides.
Serious Eats = Racists. Good to know...

I ferment scotch bonnets into a hot sauce. I love the sauce, complex flavor with heat without the pain. I am trying growing them hydroponically.
Where does the "pain" go...??? Recipe? [smile]

Where does the "pain" go...??? Recipe? [smile]
I like hot stuff but I temper it.

Here’s what I do:
  • Go to supermarket and take every scotch bonnet they have. Get a white onion, fresh carrots plus fresh mint.
  • Bring home, wash and remove stems.
  • Get some pickling salt and bottled water.
  • Chop up everything (including seeds). I do a 80/20 split. Peppers/carrots-onions. Crush up the mint.
  • Throw everything into a fermentation crock. Cover with water and add salt based on volume.
  • Close and monitor the water seal.
  • I usually leave it for a few months.

Go to supermarket and take every scotch bonnet they have.
Whoa! It ain't 9mm... [rofl2]

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try!

And you forgot to mention to avoid urinating with hot pepper juice on your hands... 🤪

Several years back I fermented 10 gallons of molasses, Heated it and ran it through a condenser, and stored it in an Oak barrel for a few years. Definitely worth doing

The airlocks come in handy for homebrewing too... [smile]
Until you advance to fermenting under pressure. ;)

We're going to start fermenting another 9 gallon batch of MO SMaSH on Sunday. Plus going to get a batch of hard cider going (shorter process before pitching the yeast).

I prefer to ferment with yeast not acids or bacteria. Chances are I'll never make a sour beer either.

Anyone making Nuoc Mam Nhi sauce ?

I toured a fish sauce factory in southern Vietnam once. Trust me when I say you don't want any part of the manufacturing process in your home. It is foul on a level I didn't think was possible, and that's coming from someone who likes the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom