Feral hog spotted in NH

Likely an escapee from Corbin Park out in Croydon (next town over).

Regardless of its escaped status it should be dealt with immediately- last thing you need is one of these having a litter and kicking off a ecological disaster.
My understanding (from a member) is that technically you are supposed to call them and ask permission “And we always say yes.”

He said they got out when a storm knocked down some fencing, and they are genetically different than local hogs, but ai forget where they came from.

”escaped private property”. Huh,

hey that’s Porkey my pig (feral hog/pet) that ran away. Fûck him, it is mine and I authorize anyone can shoot it for escaping. Bad Porkey
Well, it might not be Porkey ...

If it answers to "Ethel" please tell her that Mommy and Daddy miss her.

looked into hunting them a few years back, NH doesn't regulate them and they consider them farm stock, all you need is a permission slip from Corbin Park, and off you go

Reports in dracut Ma now
Can’t figure out how to link the group but a decent trail cam video

looked into hunting them a few years back, NH doesn't regulate them and they consider them farm stock, all you need is a permission slip from Corbin Park, and off you go
I always thought NH didnt regulate them as game animals so you shoot at will, same as NY. No season, no bag limit, no permission slip unless your on posted private land.

This has been going on for as long as I've been a hunter.........these things never really take a big foothold up there or central NY which had a large share of game ranches, Ive been to one in particular. The guy there said the locals hunt their escapees and there really aren't a lot of them.

Down south different story, follow any river up from the ocean north and that river areas hold hogs.

The fact that they aren't on a lot of game cameras up in NH, and seeing on is a rarity, just tells me this is not a big deal. Its been seen before. When they start seeing them all the time and people are killing them all the time...then its a big deal.

I always thought NH didnt regulate them as game animals so you shoot at will, same as NY. No season, no bag limit, no permission slip unless your on posted private land.
That's incorrect. Because NH has never had an established breeding population of feral swine, all pigs in the wild are assumed to be escaped farm animals, thus private property.

You can't shoot them any more than you could shoot a cow wandering through your yard.

Any Eurasian Boar in NH are assumed to be from Corbin Park (Blue Mountain). Same thing: still private property that you can't shoot without permission of the owner.

Last edited:
That's incorrect. Because NH has never had an established breeding population of feral swine, all pigs in the wild are assumed to be escaped farm animals, thus private property.

You can't shoot them any more than you could shoot a cow wandering through your yard.

Any Eurasian Board in NH are assumed to be from Corbin Park (Blue Mountain). Same thing: still private property that you can't shoot without permission of the owner.
Kind of a weird regulation.

I think the majority of states that don't have breeding populations are shoot at will because they are not regulated as a game species.

Kind of a weird regulation.

I think the majority of states that don't have breeding populations are shoot at will because they are not regulated as a game species.
It's a mixed issue.

NH also doesn't have an established breeding population of mountain lions (cougar/puma/catamount). Nor wolves.

If either were declared as "established", they would become protected species subject to federal regulation, not just state rules.

Note for those who follow my posts here because of their NH wildlife advocacy: I do not, and never have, advocated hunting big cats, wolves, or coyotes. I only advocate hunting for sustenance, and to stop predation.

I add this disclaimer because I once suggested "SSSTFU" for predators, and some predator-huggers made a big deal about it.

Last edited:
It's a mixed issue.

NH also doesn't have an established breeding population of mountain lions (cougar/puma/catamount). Nor wolves.

If either were declared as "established", they would become protected species subject to federal regulation, not just state rules.

Note for those who follow my posts here because of their NH wildlife advocacy: I do not, and never have, advocated hunting big cats, wolves, or coyotes. I only advocate hunting for sustenance, and to stop predation.

I add this disclaimer because I one suggested "SSSTFU" for predators, and some predator-huggers made a big deal about it.
Yeah......there has been hog talk in NH forever, and they have never grabbed a foothold in the 30 years ago I first started hearing about it, so its really just noise.

I do think they will eventually take hold in the Northeast, but that will be like 50 years from now, and I think they will not be escapees, but true feral hog stock from the south, as whatever is in PA and NJ breeds to become a more cold tolerating species. That will take years of evolution to happen. Hogs need tremendous food in the winter to survive here the Northeast doesn't have the foodstocks to hold them.

The midwest with its big ag crops would be the first places for them to take hold where its cold, as they creep up the river systems from the south.

Until they evolve like something of a Russian boar type, your not going to take a feral piney woods rooter type hog and get it to live up here in a frozen swamp.. Any more than you would one of those little southern deer could live up here. Its an evolving thing.

Yes, that's Chet. He was a good friend of my neighbor who was a MSP trooper.

They hunted a lot together up in NH and North Central.

RIP to both of them.

I'm now wondering if you guys know "Officer Obie" from around New Salem. He had a little diner/restaurant up in New Salem.

Next door neighbor sent in his border collie in to some bushes (thought it was a rabbit) and came out with a piglet,
Locals must have taken out the mom on the hunt we heard that night. Raise it in a pen (for a BBQ) until it was about 190 pounds but had 3' tusks
Went to feed it one day and it rushed the fence breaking the gate (all metal), He took it out with his 38 right then and had BBQ that weekend
Nasty critters,

Back
Top Bottom