1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin among 50 snared in elite college cheating scam, authorities say

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Mar 12, 2019.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

2. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

This story is fascinating. Wealthy playing by a different set of rules because of their money...

3. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Lock them up!

Karma is a beach!:

January 21, 2017:
    In Washington, former Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman said she will take part in the march with her two daughters, her sister and her niece.
    She told the Press Association: "I feel that the election was somewhat of a feminist issue. I feel like the best of us was bested by not the best of them."

Bundle clowns with Cheating Pocahontas.

DitchDigger and buckfarack like this.
  4. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

They don't like it when an outsider does this. Politicians want to keep that power for themselves. This has been going on forever, usually through alumni donations.

amm5061, calsdad and JayMcB like this.
  5. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Are we supposed to know who these people are?

Brewer, goslow, dhuze and 4 others like this.
  6. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Desperate housewives, dude!

College bribery plot: A list of names of those charged in the nationwide scheme - The Boston Globe
    William Rick Singer: Racketeering conspiracy; money laundering conspiracy; conspiracy to defraud US; obstruction of justice; District of Massachusetts
    ■ Rudolph “Rudy” Meredith: Conspiracy to commit wire fraud and honest services wire fraud; honest services wire fraud; District of Connecticut
    ■ Mark Riddell: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; conspiracy to commit money laundering; Middle District of Florida
    ■ John Vandemoer: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Northern District of California
    Charged by indictment
    ■ Igor Dvorskiy:
    Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Central District of California
    ■ Gordon Ernst: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; District of Maryland
    ■ William Ferguson: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Western District of North Carolina
    ■ Martin Fox: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Southern District of Texas
    ■ Donna Heinel: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Central District of California
    ■ Laura Janke: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Central District of California
    ■ Ali Khosroshahin: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Central District of California
    ■ Steven Masera: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Eastern District of California
    ■ Jorge Salcedo: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Central District of California
    ■ Mikaela Sanford: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Eastern District of California
    ■ David Sidoo: Conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Jovan Vavic: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Central District of California
    ■ Niki Williams: Conspiracy to commit racketeering; Southern District of Texas
    Charged by complaint
    ■ Gregory Abbott:
    Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Southern District of New York
    ■ Marcia Abbott: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Southern District of New York
    ■ Gamal Abdelaziz: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; District of Nevada
    ■ Diane Blake: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Todd Blake: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Jane Buckingham: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Gordon Caplan: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; District of Connecticut
    ■ Michael Center: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Western District of Texas
    ■ I-Hsin “Joey” Chen: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Amy Colburn: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Gregory Colburn: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Robert Flaxman: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Mossimo Giannulli: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Elizabeth Henriquez: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Manuel Henriquez: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Douglas Hodge: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Felicity Huffman: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Agustin Huneeus: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Bruce Isackson: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Davina Isackson: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Michelle Janavs: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Elisabeth Kimmel: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; District of Nevada
    ■ Marjorie Klapper: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Lori Loughlin: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Toby Macfarlane: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Southern District of California
    ■ William McGlashan: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Marci Palatella: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Peter Jan Sartorio: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Northern District of California
    ■ Stephen Semprevivo: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Devin Sloane: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ John Wilson: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Southern District of Texas
    ■ Homayoun Zadeh: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Central District of California
    ■ Robert Zangrillo: Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud; Southern District of Florida

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Lori Laughlin was the milf from Full House. How the hell is she wealthy? What else has she been in?

8. mibro

mibro NES Member

That was my first thought too. Call the university's Business Development Office and it's all legit. I'm acquainted with someone whose son got into MIT that way. But this was something different. Paying a consultant to hire a gunman to take the SAT or ACT for the kid, bribing coaches to advocate the kid as an athletic recruit. Pretty wild stuff.

The root cause of this is affirmative action in college admissions. When gubmint tilts the table, don't expect people not to tilt back.

The5thDentist, northny, timbo and 2 others like this.
  9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Apparently, selling access to test cheating and college admissions... [rofl]

10. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Yeah, its pretty funny they have to rig it with an athletic recruiting angle, because the white kid with the near perfect SAT/ACT barely qualifies to get into any of the high brow
    schools unless they have pull/cake/greasing from an alumnus etc. Makes me wonder what the % of people were using these fraud services strictly for the dodge on affirmative
    actions vs the "testing" issue.

-Mike

11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Alleged bribery scheme went on for years

12. new guy

new guy NES Member

Lori isn't guilty. Never was. Lock the rest of them up.

Horrible, Daddy Mac, amm5061 and 3 others like this.
  13. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

I never watched any of those shows so if they broke the law, send them to jail. Celebrities should not be afforded special treatment. I have never understood the mystique of so called famous people, I'm quite sure they have gotten shit on their fingers wiping ass.

14. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

Most likely all stuanch Democrats, griping about the plight of the little people

15. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

16. Bankjob

Bankjob NES Member

Thats what Huffman gets for marrying Frank Gallagher

amm5061, Artifact and ISOTOX like this.
  17. Jttgspring

Jttgspring

I’m Confused about how any of this is a crime. Shady sure, a way to keep the masses down, ok. Criminal? I thought this was just how things worked. Little rich kids, do rich kid things, like get into good schools, and drive nice cars. I guess I just don’t understand how it’s criminal to grease the skids at a private institution, to garner favor for your children.

amm5061, AHM, ProGun and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Shocked I tell you shocked !

19. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Lelling described an elaborate scam in which college athletic coaches worked with Singer to create fictional athletic success stories for applicants, including Photoshopping the applicants’ faces onto stock athletic images, and falsifying their participation in various athletic programs.

How is this any different from Pocahontas stories and cheats?

Della Street and amm5061 like this.
  20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Funny they don't mention the hag from Despairing Housewenches's husband. . . William H. Macy.

I'm sure he came in, all, "I'm cooperatin'here." Then he went out to do a lot count and fled the interview.

Della Street, KOMA829, AHM and 3 others like this.
  21. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

Dude...she was the girlfriend in Rad, the best BMX bike movie in history!!!

22. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

You betcha!

Della Street, AHM and Dennis in MA like this.
  23. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

Great Fargo reference!

24. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i saw the list of indictments.
    But, are these things really "crimes" you can be prosecuted for?
    I mean, like when you file your taxes, you have to swear that the numbers are true under penalty for lying.
    But i do not remember such verbiage in any college applications!
    And since these are rich people, they were not scamming the system for tuition, like granny warren did. They are just trying to get into the school.

I predict none of the parents get convicted.

AHM likes this.
  25. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

I’m calling for reparations. Oh the injustice...

26. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I predict most of the parents get convicted (most of them accepting a plea bargain).

The feds don’t charge rich and powerful people if they don’t think they’ve got a case.

TLB likes this.
  27. Jttgspring

Jttgspring

Don’t get me wrong I understand it’s slimy, dishonest, and wrong. Still just seems a bit like making a large financial donation, and having a fixer make you look good. Happens all the time, all over the place. This is just what I understood as how life works.

28. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

JayMcB likes this.
  29. whatluck

whatluck

I came here to post this. There's nothing unethical about cheating to beat the affirmative action curve. You will always be able to cheat your way to the top using money and favors, people do it all the time.

drgrant likes this.
  30. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

"There is nothing unethical about cheating. . . . "

Wow. As long as I can justify the reason in MY mind, I'm good then, right? LOL

People run red lights all the time, too. Doesn't make it right or ethical.

FisherTech likes this.