• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Feinstein: Not The Time For Gun Control

If anything, at least there's a silver lining to this story in that she pretty much admits that the current Congress and administration is skittish about
taking up this issue.

Only means we have to put the heat on them some more...

(CBS) The California senator who authored the nation's now-lapsed 1994 ban on assault weapons says she will hold off trying to renew that ban.

Dianne Feinstein (D.-Calif.) tells 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl that the political timing isn't right and she will move to renew the ban at a future time of her own choosing. Feinstein appears in Stahl's report on the increase in gun sales taking place in America to be broadcast this Sunday, April 12, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Asked by Stahl if trying to renew the assault weapons ban would start a culture war and pose a distraction for an already overburdened Obama Administration, Feinstein replies, "I agree with you." "So you are going to hold off?" asks Stahl. "That's correct. I'll pick the time and the place, no question about it," Feinstein tells Stahl.

But even if she pursued the renewal, the votes may not be there today in either the Senate or the House. Both Houses of Congress gained pro-gun Democrats this past election, some of whom won the support of the National Rifle Association. "I am not going to disagree with that at all," says Feinstein. "The National Rifle Association essentially has a stranglehold on the Congress."

Has Congressional leadership or anyone from the Obama administration influenced her decision to put off the fight for renewal of the assault weapons ban? "No. Nobody said a word to me," Feinstein tells Stahl.

Feinstein appears in Stahl's report on the increase of gun sales in America. Stahl talks to gun enthusiasts who tell her Americans are buying more guns now, in part, due to fear of impending social unrest as a result of the financial meltdown.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a pro-guns advocacy group, explains: "We're being told all the time that, ‘The economy could just collapse and we could fall into chaos.’ Well, chaos is a good reason to be able to protect yourself… You could imagine if we truly had a collapse of the economy and it was hard to find food, those that did manage to hang onto food-might…find themselves in a precarious position.'" Van Cleave tells Stahl the other main reason is fear of potential gun control under new President Barack Obama.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/60minutes/main4931769.shtml

Yep

They wouldn't give up this easily even if they did learn from 1994.

They will pull an end run, or something just if not more evil as a AWB.

Jim is correct that woman is a evil snake, Cant she go away and live her life how ever short it is with out messing with others lives.

She has done enough damage for more than one lifetime.

She's a snake and cannot be trusted. Buy your ammo and whatever guns you want now. Don't wait as they undoubtedly have something up their sleeves. Glad I got my AR15 now as you just can't trust any of them.

She's a piece of work. Ugh.

Look into my eyes and hand over all those evil deadly high powered military style semi-automatic assault weaponds!

EAt shit.

Sorry, I see no silver lining. She has given up on nothing and flat out said it was coming, just not now. In fact between her two recent interviews she's essentially said she will start with registration then move to banning. Doing the first makes the second more "effective" and turns up the heat under the frogs in increments over time. Once the sheeple get used to registration implementing an AWB will be that much easier.

Not the time, because they know if they do it now...they are out in 2/4 years. If they go to lose the majority, they'll push it through quickly; especially those who lose in the elections.

"Dianne Feinstein (D.-Calif.) tells 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl that the political timing isn't right and she will move to renew the ban at a future time of her own choosing."

What an arrogant effing C**T!

She's a snake and cannot be trusted. Buy your ammo and whatever guns you want now. Don't wait as they undoubtedly have something up their sleeves. Glad I got my AR15 now as you just can't trust any of them.

She's a piece of work. Ugh.

Very true. Feinstein saying "don't worry" is the same as a rattlesnake rattling... just before striking!

Guys, you keep working under the assumption that Gun Control is a partisan issue (party related), and it isn't.

Right now, they don't have the votes, and they know it. They simply can't get it through the Senate (refer to my posts mentioning S.160) and you'll see the numbers. 62 (or more, don't remember the exact number) Senators added an ammendment to a piece of legislation on DC that affirmed the 2A as an INDIVIDUAL right, and ended some DC practices, like registration and bans.

Check the vote on that ammendment, and you'll see how it went down. The funny thing is, the bill passed the Senate, by a wide margin, and all the usual suspects voted FOR it.

Back
Top Bottom