• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Feelings/Experience with the Sig 556 SigSCM???

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a Sig 556 SigSCM in 5.56mm. Anyone have any experience or feelings on this firearm? I bought it new for $1200. Is that a good price? Thanks

Kevin

My feelings preclude me from having any experience with this rifle ;).
For this kind of many you could have gotten a pre-ban AR.
The Sig rifles are front heavy, have crappy standard handguards, crappy sights. Poor ergonomic (try reaching mag release), the standard charging handle interferes with rail mounted optics and the list goes on....
But that's just my $0.02.

I have to agree on the sights, that is why there is a holographic sight. However, I have no issues with the charging handle or reaching the mag release with my right index finger. Are you a lefty Andy?

The SIG holographic sight is a POS. Even during a class at Sig Sauer Academy, we had a few SIG sights go down. While talking to another student he mentioned seeing a box of broken ones when he was taking another class at Sig. I would highly recommend Aimpoint. You can also buy aftermarket BUIS, but that drives the price of the gun up.
I am righty, with medium sized hand. I can't reach the mag release without abandoning my full grip.
I would recommend AGAINST any Sig accessories (lights, holographics) etc... As they are all of shoddy quality.

I like this rifle, but I think it's far too front heavy to compare favorably with many other options.

I'm very happy with my SIG556.

It is a little front heavy but it's not THAT front heavy. The flip up sights are a joke but you can get quite good ones from Samson or the SIGStore online. They put up the iron sights as a total afterthought since it's meant for optics, which was a huge mistake. The add-ons are quite good though.

I use a Bushnell Holosight that I picked up new for $200ish which more than suits my needs. If you don't care for the handguards you can also replace them with standard 550 handguards.

All told it's a good gun, utterly bullet-proof in reliability for me, pretty rugged and fun to shoot. YMMV.

The SIG holo is a POS that I've heard nothing but complaints about. As for other optics...well you can spend a lot of money or not. The gun will shoot 300 yards accurately no problem but I never practice past 100 yards or so.

If I were you I'd take it as is, use what you have and improve as wanted. Your own experience will be a better guide for what you do and don't like about the gun.

Any recommendations on some mid-tier optics? I'm a handgun guy, so this is all new to me. Also, I noticed that the chamber and slide ramp isn't chromed. Is that an investment worth making?

What is your definition for mid-tier? You can find use Aimpoint (ML 2 series usually) for around $350 with a mount. The nice thing, once you have a quality optic, it can go on other rifles too. I would not recommend doing any of your own chroming, etc...

Mid-tier would be about $500 or so. Is that reasonable? On the chroming, I was looking at having it professionally done. What would be the cost and is it worth it? Thanks

Kevin

Thought I'd bump this up and maybe a few guys could express their likes and dislikes as the last post was back in Dec. '09.

I have one on order at 4 Seasons and hope to pick it up next week.

I've had mine for about a month now, and have taken to the range about 4 times. I love this thing. I have a Bushnell Trophy (cheap-ish) site but it works great. I've only used it at the 75ft range (I can't use the outdoor at MRA for another month or so) but it's been working great. Mike, if you want we can meet up at MRA some time next week so you can get a sneak preview of your purchase, lol.

I've had mine for about a month now, and have taken to the range about 4 times. I love this thing. I have a Bushnell Trophy (cheap-ish) site but it works great. I've only used it at the 75ft range (I can't use the outdoor at MRA for another month or so) but it's been working great. Mike, if you want we can meet up at MRA some time next week so you can get a sneak preview of your purchase, lol.

Bushnell Trophy I have one on my AR-15.

Check you PM's

Back
Top Bottom