Feeling anti-tactical

So the fact that I'm not as good as I used to be does not mean that my advice and coaching ceases to be of value at an earlier point in a shooters development.
Don

I think this applies to many coach-player, mentor-protege, master-apprentice relationship across many, many disciplines. Someone who thinks they can't learn even one small thing from someone with a decent amount of experience in a discipline won't because of their own attitude.

So if I'm pocket carrying my Colt 1908 in my 5.11 cargo pants, does that make me "Classical Tactical"?

Sorry, trying to inject a little humor back into this thread....

So if I'm pocket carrying my Colt 1908 in my 5.11 cargo pants, does that make me "Classical Tactical"?

I am sure some day lady with sand in his clan will post a thread hating you for it because they don't understand your reason for doing so.

I hate people who wear molon labe shirts and don't tread on me hats. Not sure why, but something about it annoys me.
COME TAKE THEM AWAY FROM ME!! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

I do have a few 2A shirts, which I use as liberal bait. I have yet to have anyone crack off about any of them, unfortunately.

I am one of the least tactical people out there. Priced out some 5.11 pants one time and almost fainted from sticker shock. I've got a couple of AR's and some wonder pistols, but the limit of my tacticalness (new word?) Is a couple of kydex holsters. Just not my thing in general.

I think this applies to many coach-player, mentor-protege, master-apprentice relationship across many, many disciplines. Someone who thinks they can't learn even one small thing from someone with a decent amount of experience in a discipline won't because of their own attitude.

It's not about learning one little thing, it's is paying a lot of money to learn how to excel. there are good instructors that can not only teach but also shoot at a high level. And since shooting is not a physical sport, youth and strength don't mean much as compared to other sports, so why would you pick a teacher that can not do what he is trying to teach you.

I was very untactical today with my old M65 field jacket w/o liner and my 1911 carried underneath. I even opted for a Victorinox Cadet instead of a blacked out, tacticool knife.

COME TAKE THEM AWAY FROM ME!! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

I do have a few 2A shirts, which I use as liberal bait. I have yet to have anyone crack off about any of them, unfortunately.

I am one of the least tactical people out there. Priced out some 5.11 pants one time and almost fainted from sticker shock. I've got a couple of AR's and some wonder pistols, but the limit of my tacticalness (new word?) Is a couple of kydex holsters. Just not my thing in general.

I was being douchy and sarcastic, I have a drawer full of ******* 2A shirts. [wink]

No. 5-11 has only existed for about 10 years. If you are carrying your Colt 1908 in your woolwich hiking shorts (like cargo shorts but not proportioned so ridiculously), then you are classical tactical.

NOBODY has fundamentals 100% nailed. We all get lazy.

I agree with you, but in his example he was talking simple things like grip placement. If someone who out shoots the hell out of me wants to talk about my grip, fine, but I'm not taking advice on something that elementary from someone that shoots worse than I do.

I don't mean to sound like a conceited ass, because I'm not. Plenty of people on here would clown on me and I've seen video proof, but I take issue with the idea of taking instruction from someone worse than I am. I can see how in some activities, personal skill set doesn't matter, but I think in moderate to advanced firearms training, it does.

Last edited:
But... at one point you were at that level, so you have experience to reference. I think you made my point, and we are in more agreement than the internet can translate.

[grin]

Exactly, and knowing him from here is enough for me to take his word for it (honest guy etc) but I'm not paying somebody I don't know that tells me the same thing.

The thing about shooting, imo, is that so much time and money needs to be invested to really give something an honest try, I want anything I try differently to be from a valued source, not some guy that shoots revolver once a week. I do agree with you on attitude and ego getting in the way of learning though, in a lot of things, not just shooting.

Back
Top Bottom