• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FEELER: Anyone interested in a private NES pheasant hunt?

CdP

I have dickered over writing this as I fear the logistics could be almost as bad as a Winter / MJR buy.... :)
And, my work is VERY unpredictable, so I'm not sure I am the best person to run it as a big project could come in and take all my focus...

But I am disappointed the season is over and was wondering whether we could scare up a group to take advantage of MA's new private hunt option they allow on a few of their WMAs.

So, let's see if there is enough interest and we can figure out whether a) Derek will allow it, b) someone wants to help me run it, c) where the best place is, d) how to get birds, etc.

I would be interested in either Bolton Flats or Martin Burns, and possibly Erwin Wilder (but only if Cerfur is in!)
The other ones in this program are: Crane, Winnimusset, Herm Covey, and Housatonic Valley WMA. Those are too far for me but if there is more interest for those, then take my idea and run with it!! :)

If interested, please reply IN, confirm you have a valid MA hunting license (pretty sure it is required; abstract isn't 100% clear), and let me know which WMA you would be willing to hunt at.

Thanks!
Craig

what is all of this going to cost? I might be in for Martin Burns. I dont have a dog so wouldnt want to have to pay too much for a shot of the other guys scraps.

I'm interested erwin wilder. the state will provide a list of places to get birds,,quail are cheaper they run about 4 to $6 each. pheasant run $22to 28 each. i did it at crane 2 years ago .

dudes, if we can get quail for 4-6 bucks a pop, this seems like a no brainer. if 10 guys throw down...30 bucks? thats 50 quail, or 5 birds a person...even if we don't all get 5 birds(I'm assuming some will escape our wrath), I think that would be MORE than fair for a chance at a semi-private hunt...hell, even 50 bucks a head wouldn't be terrible for a day of fun, I know I've spent more than that for a lot less entertainment...

So, let's start doing some leg work. Can someone confirm the price of birds? are people more interested in pheasants? I think at that price per bird that might not be as economical for some. Also, do we have to pick up the birds? Or will they deliver? if we have to pick them up, whose got a pick up to get them?

Sorry for delayed reply! Of course now that there is interest, I'm on a plane now and again Monday. I am glad to dig in next week but if someone has time, glad to defer. I'm in for at least $50 and don't mind going after quail... Better yet chukar? Though will need to buy a 20ga as I'm sure there won't be much left after my 12 hits them!

I've done this a few times with my friends. Usually one of the other guys sets it up, so I might not be a 100% on the process, but I think you have to pick a WMA, pick a day for your permit (only 1 group per WMA per day I think). All participants need to be listed on the permit with a current license #. You also need to find someone to buy birds from and reserve them some time in advance (last year birds were scarce for some reason). Its a lot of fun but there is some leg work involved prior and some work to pick up birds, then put out the birds on the WMA(mountain bike works pretty good for this).

Sorry for delayed reply! Of course now that there is interest, I'm on a plane now and again Monday. I am glad to dig in next week but if someone has time, glad to defer. I'm in for at least $50 and don't mind going after quail... Better yet chukar? Though will need to buy a 20ga as I'm sure there won't be much left after my 12 hits them!

the state only allows quail or pheasants to be stocked

I'm in sorry as its hunting season along with some other stuff haven't been on... I will go anywhere in the state!

However I far like hunting pheasants over quail right now! The fellas that we hunting quail with me one time earlier this season know why.... (holy $%#@ that was close) I can throw in 50- 100 bucks

Back
Top Bottom