Feed problem .. should I worry?

I'm still pretty much a novice to this whole guns thing (but getting more knowlegeable every day thanks to you folks). I had my first feed problem on my Ruger Mk III 22/45 over the weekend. It looks like the spent round failed to eject cleanly causing the new round to fail to chamber properly. It was pretty easy to clear, and I went on to shoot another 100+ rounds without a problem.

The question is; should I be worried? Is this thing just something that happens now and then with 22LR ammo? I've put about 1000 rounds through the gun, and this is the first problem I've had.

The only thing is that when I clean my gun I tend to be a little too liberal with the lubricant that I apply after cleaning. I wonder if this could be an issue? How much lubricant should I apply?

Thanks for your advice

...Matt

Yes...I use American Eagle .22LR ammo. I did switch to a new box of American Eagle half way through. That new box would certainly have been a different batch.

Try a different brand of ammo American Eagle,Federal Lightning and all the "economy" brands are all that great. Try the bulk pack stuff from Walmart you may have better luck and fewer feed problems

1 missfeed out of 1000 rounds isn't bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it too much, and it will sometimes happen.

If it continues to be a problem, and starts happening more frequently, then you can take action.

Thanks...I'll keep an eye on it. If it continues to happen, especially with different ammo, I'll call Ruger support and ask them. The only other odd thing I've had with the gun is that it fails misserably to feed dummy 22LR ammo (the cheap plastic coated aluminum stuff). I didn't think too much of it since I only use it for dry firing, and since real ammo runs perfectly.

I won't worry about it, probably a bad round, the rim may not have been to spec and the extractor didn't get a good grip. the case may had a weak spot and bulged. 1 failure in 1000 is very low for .22lr, Clean the chamber and behind the extractor hook and keep shooting.

Some gun like t be run wet other dry. Usually too much oil attracks alot of fouling and can easily gum up a .22. An oily rag wiped on all the parts is enough.

It's a 22 rimfire. A jam like that happening once in a great while is not
an uncommon occurence. I wouldn't worry about it. Not to mention
just about every 22 LR autoloader is ammo finicky to some degree or another to
begin with. Maybe you got a round that had a light/out of spec charge or
something.

-Mike

I'm still pretty much a novice to this whole guns thing (but getting more knowlegeable every day thanks to you folks). I had my first feed problem on my Ruger Mk III 22/45 over the weekend. It looks like the spent round failed to eject cleanly causing the new round to fail to chamber properly. It was pretty easy to clear, and I went on to shoot another 100+ rounds without a problem.

I have the same gun and it happens to me once in a while too. Probably once every range trip, especially when I'm shooting fast.

Nothing to worry about, just clear the jam and keep shooting.

Back
Top Bottom