• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal Ultra Target .22 LR Jamming Crazy

I bought the same ammo, I think, Federal Ultra Target & Range .22LR for my S&W MP 15-22 at the recommendation of the gun store clerk where I bought the rifle. It was only a small box so I figured it couldn't hurt, and I was told that the slightly hotter loads help with reliable operation.

It jams like crazy in my 15-22, and caused jams in my Marlin 60, which has never happened before. My 15-22 feed Aguila standard velocity flawlessly until the rifle becomes dirty after a few hundred rounds, and even then those jams are easier to clear than the logpiles I was getting with the federal ammo.

Aguila standard velocity is my favorite low cost .22 ammo and has given me no problems.

I like cci mini mags 40gr round nose plated, I think they are the 000030 part number. They cycle very well in my Mark IV Hunter and my 10/22. I am of the opinion that this stuff is just right in the 10/22 just enough ummph to cycle well but not so hot as to abuse the action on the 10/22. I put just about anything into my bolt action 22s

There is a recent turn of events for the jamming of Federal Ultra Target .22 LR 36 grain ammo on my Smith Wesson M&P 15 22.
At the beginning, I shot more than a thousand CCI, Geco without any problem. Winchester Wildcat give my jam once every 20 rounds. So I felt safe to jump on big sales. In a local gun store, I found a deal for Federal Ultra Target .22 LR 36 grain, with a plastic ammo can. Mostly for the copper coating over the lead bullet, and partly for the cute-looking ammo can, I bought a can of 2,600 rounds. First time I shot this Federal Ultra Target, it jammed my 15 22 once every 4 or 5 rounds. Obviously I could not "jam through" 2,600 rounds of this ammo. My life is too short for that. This is the thread that I complained bitterly.
Someone mentioned that 36 grain bullet may not give big enough recoil to operate the bolt reliably. Someone suggested that lubricating the bolt may help the jamming problem. It was true that I had been shooting my 15 22 dry, without any lubrication. So last weekend, I cleaned my 15 22, and for the first time, applied some Hoppe's 9 lubricant to the bolt and sliding rails. A pleasant surprise! Federal Ultra Target on my 15 22 only jammed once in about 20 rounds! The failure rate may be further reduced if I clean the 15 22 more frequently and apply lubricant to more places. Now I can see myself enjoy the plinking of these 2,600 rounds of ammo.
To be honest, that is not ideal. In the future, I will stick with CCI and Geco semi-auto (with bee wax). Non-stopping plinking through 15 22 is a big reward for my life. However, now I finally found a way to live through 2,600 rounds of Federal Ultra Target, and get some level of enjoyment out of it.
22lr semi autos should not need “lube” they just need enough oil to protect from rust. Most 22s will jam up in early round count because the excessive lube holds onto the puke from 22lr ,

Even after I figured a way for my Smith Wesson 15 22 to shoot Federal Ultra Target 36 grain in a somewhat tolerable manner, I still think Federal Ultra Target 36 grain is by far the worst ammo for my 15 22, thus deserve the bad reputation.
My 15 22 has shot without lubrication more than a thousand CCI and Geco .22 LR ammo without any problem. It should have broken in, if needed. So it should be in the prime age for a rifle. After lubrication, Federal Ultra Target still jams about once in 20 rounds, which is significantly worse than continuous and worry-free shooting with CCI and Geco. Any owner of 15 22 deserves to know the problem presented by Federal Ultra Target 36 grain. If my post could help some fellow owners to avoid the frustration, I am quite happy.
If Federal the company noticed my post, and test their ammo more rigorously on 15 22, I believe they will end up with much better and more robust designs. My post could even help the whole ammunition industry.

Pointless. Guaranteed there are 15-22s out there running this federal whatever ammo just fine. Own more 22 rifles there’s hue variability in what they can run. These are blowback crap firearms with pot-metal components. Often the ammo is loaded too hot. Standard velocity 40 gr will almost always be the best bet for reliability in blowback.

You don’t need mini mags for everything. All 22 firearms I have owned will have some ammo types that give issues. It’s impossivle to predict so if panties might get in bunch then buy small quantities to test. Alternatively run ammo in a different gun and it often runs great.

I keep CCI mini mags around to test a firearm, essentially to remove the ammo element from the equation.

Even after I figured a way for my Smith Wesson 15 22 to shoot Federal Ultra Target 36 grain in a somewhat tolerable manner, I still think Federal Ultra Target 36 grain is by far the worst ammo for my 15 22, thus deserve the bad reputation.
My 15 22 has shot without lubrication more than a thousand CCI and Geco .22 LR ammo without any problem. It should have broken in, if needed. So it should be in the prime age for a rifle. After lubrication, Federal Ultra Target still jams about once in 20 rounds, which is significantly worse than continuous and worry-free shooting with CCI and Geco. Any owner of 15 22 deserves to know the problem presented by Federal Ultra Target 36 grain. If my post could help some fellow owners to avoid the frustration, I am quite happy.
If Federal the company noticed my post, and test their ammo more rigorously on 15 22, I believe they will end up with much better and more robust designs. My post could even help the whole ammunition industry.
If they did that it would become extra special and require price increase....
CCi makes a special 22lr ammo for the manufactures who cant make a 22 these days that will cycle on good old 40gn lead 1050fps ammo?
With that you figured out what your rifle likes and does not like. If interested now you can sit down and see what it shoots best for accuracy. If your trying to shoot tiny groups that is.

I have a dedicated .22 upper using a CMMG “bolt” in one AR. Running it dry it will occasionally jam or fail to go fully into battery on all types of ammo. I use a little CLP, not wet but just enough to have a sheen on it and it will run most ( not all) ammo. With a little lubricant it will run even if extremely dirty, but it is so easy to clean I usually do so. I treat it like I would BCGs (bolt) in regular ARs which don’t like being dry. Try some CLP .

Regarding older .22s I have an old Remington speedmaster semi that has never been cleaned and the finish on stock worn off from handling. It’s a beater for camp and farm but digests anything. I made clean it up for its 50 th anniversary which must be close. But I have also owned and got rid of several older .22s that were finicky so older not always reliable.

I have a dedicated .22 upper using a CMMG “bolt” in one AR. Running it dry it will occasionally jam or fail to go fully into battery on all types of ammo. I use a little CLP, not wet but just enough to have a sheen on it and it will run most ( not all) ammo. With a little lubricant it will run even if extremely dirty, but it is so easy to clean I usually do so. I treat it like I would BCGs (bolt) in regular ARs which don’t like being dry. Try some CLP .

Regarding older .22s I have an old Remington speedmaster semi that has never been cleaned and the finish on stock worn off from handling. It’s a beater for camp and farm but digests anything. I made clean it up for its 50 th anniversary which must be close. But I have also owned and got rid of several older .22s that were finicky so older not always reliable.
Love my speed master; I have 3 22s currently that will feed/cycle shorts, longs and LR. Growing up brother and I would shoot one 22 until it would not feed then move to the next. Usually could get 4-5 bricks through before signs of problems. Our 22s seldom seen cleaning. Out side wipe down with a lightly oiled rag, usually 3in1 oil.
It’s all fun , we waited until after thanksgiving to do any gun cleaning

I wonder what folks will do when they bring back steel cased 22lr

Back
Top Bottom