Federal HST 165 GR RESULTS.

I lined up 15 OJ cartons filled with water and shot a Federal HST 165 GR out of a G23 (4.02"" BBL) from 7YD; the bullet went through 6 of them..

I found this online and figured I would test it out, It says my bullet penetration was 15 inches.
"A Simple Method for Testing Bullets with Your Guns
A quick and easy method to determine bullet or shotshell performance out of any handgun or shotgun is to gather several (and we mean several -- about 30) cardboard half-gallon milk cartons (plastic won't do).
Fill them full of water, line them up side-by-side three abreast, in three rows of 10 (each carton should be in contact with its neighbor). Back-up several feet and shoot a bullet from your handgun into the center row of cartons.
Count the number of water filled cartons the bullet penetrated, including the carton where the bullet came to rest. Multiply the number of cartons times 2.5 to determine penetration depth in inches. This will give you a SWAG (scientific wild-ass gauge) of how your gun/cartridge combination will perform in soft tissue (both bullet expansion and penetration)."

the bullet is over a penny.

2hhek8w.jpg

9fs9x3.jpg

ic1lr8.jpg

Last edited:
Where can you find this load in Massachusetts?

Four Seasons usually stocks it, IIRC, if it is the typical HST Tactical 165 gr load. Last time I was there though, they didn't have any, just the 155 gr? but I'm sure Carl could get it for you.

I've been thinking about switching to this load for carry, as my supply of Win Ranger 165gr "DEA special contract load" is running out. It is convenient and economical in the respect that most places sell it in 50 round boxes
compared to the usual 20 or so you get with gold dots, etc.

-Mike

Four Seasons usually stocks it, IIRC, if it is the typical HST Tactical 165 gr load. Last time I was there though, they didn't have any, just the 155 gr? but I'm sure Carl could get it for you.

Mike,

I was afraid you were going to say that. Carl is about a 110 mile (one-way) ride for me. I will have to start a search of all the Western Mass stores which I can think of.

Thanks for the info.

Mike,

I was afraid you were going to say that. Carl is about a 110 mile (one-way) ride for me. I will have to start a search of all the Western Mass stores which I can think of.

Thanks for the info.

Ouch. Yeah, that's kind of a buzzkill. I would wager a guess though, that any dealer that has federal JHPs in stock can probably get it for you.

-Mike

Four seasons was out when I was there tuesday, They will be getting more in.

I picked up this box @ coin collectors gallery.

I've had Hydra-Shoks (155gr .40 or 230gr .45) in my M&P 40 and SW1911 mags for the past two years or so, but I plan to switch to HST once I can walk into a gun store and not see something else I badly need first. My 92FS mags are loaded with HSTs, which really seems to be one of the best JHPs out there right now.

Back
Top Bottom