• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal Form 4473

It's something just FS is doing I believe, to shorten wait times at the store.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's all it is.

That is an awesome idea, and I wish more shops would adopt that. It would also be nice if they took it a step further as with other online forms where you could use an "autofill" type of option since just about every line stays identical unless you move, or something. Even the questions are going to be answered the same since you obviously would be denied for answering yes on them anyway.

JR's in Londonderry does the same.

The only thing that's sort of concerning is Question 11a.

Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.

There's no firearm listed on this form. Right? Unless the firearm information is included, you can't really answer 11a.

JR's in Londonderry does the same.

The only thing that's sort of concerning is Question 11a.

There's no firearm listed on this form. Right? Unless the firearm information is included, you can't really answer 11a.

That's standard, because asfaik the form never lists a specific firearm, only whether it is a handgun, long gun, or other.

No section D questions 26-30 is the firearms info, Make, model ,serial # etc.

I didn't know about that because that must be the part that the dealer usually fills out. I was confusing it with the NICS check where they just state what "type" of firearm it is. Sorry for the confusion.

The 4473 is three pages in "booklet" form. The buyer fills out page one. At the shop, the buyer signs and dates page 2. The dealer then completes the form and staples the first page to the others. It is a time saver, but the dealer will still look at every entry on page one. Jack.

Too bad MA doesn't do this with MIRCS - fill out the LTC application on-line, and then all the data entry is done when you go to get photoed and printed.

I actually like paper documents, They are can be destroyed by natural disasters, fires, etc. not so much with electronic systems. When the Thugs from ATF show up looking copies they have to bring a copy machine with them. Electronic, they just have YOU burn a copy of the CD for them and they have everything with no work on thier part.

Making things easier sounds nice but it is of no help to us.

Not to mention, what happens when the hard drive to one of these computers gets stolen, or someone burns off a copy of the records and it gets lost.. Selling identities must have some money on the market. Especially all those socials, birthdays, heights, weights.. well you get the picture

I actually like paper documents, They are can be destroyed by natural disasters, fires, etc. not so much with electronic systems. When the Thugs from ATF show up looking copies they have to bring a copy machine with them. Electronic, they just have YOU burn a copy of the CD for them and they have everything with no work on thier part.

Making things easier sounds nice but it is of no help to us.
Actually, having both paper and electronic is good. Paper is always a good backup. I keep the paperwork for the three long guns that I own with the firearms in my small-arms locker. During the course of a 30-year career in accounting, I have seen plenty of hard drives crash, readers (CD and tape media) fail, etc. Usually, right before an important department meeting (or, in one particularly notorious case, hours before a Board of Directors' meeting!) or other critical times. Murphy's Law, I guess. I do not place 100% faith in electronic records.

Actually, having both paper and electronic is good. Paper is always a good backup. I keep the paperwork for the three long guns that I own with the firearms in my small-arms locker. During the course of a 30-year career in accounting, I have seen plenty of hard drives crash, readers (CD and tape media) fail, etc. Usually, right before an important department meeting (or, in one particularly notorious case, hours before a Board of Directors' meeting!) or other critical times. Murphy's Law, I guess. I do not place 100% faith in electronic records.

Do you want big brother to know, easily, what you own (or don't own)? It's a similar argument about gun registration.

There's no obligation to keep paperwork. If you do, you might even want to keep it offsite somewhere. Having gun paperwork floating around in your home, or where you store your guns, can actually be BAD in some cases. For example the Lara case probably never would have happened if there wasn't a photocopy of the 4773 in the box with his lady-friend's Glock when it was found in her house. The 4473 had his info on it, which basically gave a nice "musical segue" for them to investigate the transaction because the person who possessed the gun wasn't the person named on the form. The ATF ultimately failed to prosecute him for something which ultimately amounted to being a non-crime, but if that piece of paper hadn't existed (or been stored somewhere else) it likely would not have caused such problems for him.

-Mike

There's no obligation to keep paperwork. If you do, you might even want to keep it offsite somewhere. Having gun paperwork floating around in your home, or where you store your guns, can actually be BAD in some cases. For example the Lara case probably never would have happened if there wasn't a photocopy of the 4773 in the box with his lady-friend's Glock when it was found in her house. The 4473 had his info on it, which basically gave a nice "musical segue" for them to investigate the transaction because the person who possessed the gun wasn't the person named on the form. The ATF ultimately failed to prosecute him for something which ultimately amounted to being a non-crime, but if that piece of paper hadn't existed (or been stored somewhere else) it likely would not have caused such problems for him.

-Mike

Thanks for sharing that view, I never really thought about it that way before, but you raise some very valid points here.

You also need to worry about hackers with any site that is publicly accessible with sensative information - name, address and possible ss number

I might have an idea. If one were to print out a copy of page one of the 4473 in black and white, fill it out longhand, make more copies, keep them in a secure location and take one along when gun shopping. Nothing gets dated till a sale is made. Page one takes more time than the rest and any dealer should appreciate this. Just my two cents. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom