Federal Eagle .45 ACP.... $18.99 for a box of 50!!

That folks is why I reload. That comes out to $380/1000 which is outrageous!

Some folks have asked me recently if reloading is really worth it as the intial investment of ALL the stuff you need is usually over $500 at least.

Well at prices like this- you don't have to shoot a crap load to see a return.

Primers- $25/1000
Powder- $15/1000
Plated 230gr Bullets- $125/1000
Total: $165/1000

Even if you can't scronge much range brass- used brass can be found for $50/1000... and it lasts a good long time unless you are loading hot.

Oh and most good reloading equipment has a LIFELONG warrantee.

Our club just did a group buy for plated bullets. I paid $177 for two thousand 45 and 40 cal. That includes shipping. We quickly had an order for 55 thousand bullets in less than a week. Every savings helps.

I saw Remington UMC .45ACP at Bass Pro for 19.99/box of 50 - I nearly had to change my pants. My reloading equip is disassembled and in storage at the moment, but I think I'm going to have to break it out again soon. I'm down to less than 2000 rounds, and there is no way I'm paying those prices!

So what's the Blazer Brass price at walmart? Last I knew it was $13/box but I'm sure its shot up since then.

-Mike

Walmart in NH still has W-W 100 round boxes for $28.50 this week. It has held steady for several weeks. I'm actually somewhat surprised.

i get win 230GR MC bullets here for $104 per 1000 free shipping

-MOD NOTE- DO NOT POST NAMES OF VENDORS THAT SHIP TO MA!!!-

Last edited by a moderator:
[angry] -2 rep for everyone how list shippers to MA.

Oh, great, well my favorite place is... oh, wait, you said NEGATIVE 2. Nevermind [wink]

(Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen anybody with a "a little shameless behavior in the past" rating. I feel bad for poor Keith)

At this point in time the price for factory ammo is out of control. I would like to start reloading but know nothing about it,, where would you suggest someone like myself begin?

At this point in time the price for factory ammo is out of control. I would like to start reloading but know nothing about it,, where would you suggest someone like myself begin?
First and foremost buy a couple of reloading manuals,"ABCs of Reloading" and the most recent Lyman manual are probably the 2 best bets.Read them,then read them again to understand the process.
If you can find a reloading class,KTP has them,take the beginner course. IIRC many here have taken it and I'm sure someone will chine in on its merits Ask around maybe someone you know reloads ask if you can watch them,just be forewarned reloading is like eating Lay's potato chips once you start........

Last edited:

Kittery Trading Post runs beginner and intermediate seminars once a month.

First and foremost buy a couple of reloading manuals,"ABCs of Reloading" and the most recent Lyman manual are probably the 2 best bets.Read them,then read them again to understand the process.
If you can find a reloading class,KTP has them,take the beginner course. IIRC many here have taken it and I'm sure someone will chine in on its merits Ask around maybe someone you know reloads ask if you can watch them,just be forewarned reloading is like eating Lay's potato chips once you start........

I've taken both the KTP courses and found them worthwhile. They gave me a good head start. What I found particularly useful was the ability to actually run a few rounds through their presses.

I have to head up to KTP Sunday to pick up some 45ACP bullets. Anyone know what they are asking for them up there now?

Also I use a lot of Blue Dot in my pistol loads but I would like to find an alternative because the Blue Dot doesn't seem to burn completely. By that, I mean there is residue that falls out of the spent cartridge after being fired. Perhaps it's normal but I never noticed it with factory loads.

Any suggestions on a good powder for all of these loads 38+P/357 Mag, 44 MAG, 45 ACP. I looked up some stuff and it seems Green Dot might work but and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

the 2 powders that come to mind that are very close in performance that would be useful are Unique and Universal Clays with a nod towards Universal Clays,it burns cleaner.

It's not just the price that makes it a good idea to start reloading either.Reloading ammo especially rifle allows you to make PERFECTLY accurate ammo...better than anything you can buy off the shelf if you know what you're doing.[smile]

Best thing to do is take a class,get a few reloading manuals (at least 2-3)buy everything you'll need and start practicing.If you know someone who is an experienced reloader have them come over and keep an eye on you and help you out.[grin]

I was told by a clerk today that prices are going up again in the very near future.---Scrivener
I stopped into Wal-Mart for some Q-tips and was told the same thing. I bought another 1,000 rounds of ammo, but I forgot the Q-Tips.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I stopped into Wal-Mart for some Q-tips and was told the same thing. I bought another 1,000 rounds of ammo, but I forgot the Q-Tips.

I grabbed 2 of the Federal bulk packs of .22 (like I needed them) and a 15-pack of slugs (also superfluous), but forgot the wiper blades and squeegee I went for.

Sucks to get old, doesn't it?

The next day I went to NET and bought a case of primers, to get ahead of those going up - again. Now I need a few more pounds of 3N38...... [wink]

New prices at walmart 18.42 for 9mm value packs, almost 27.00 for .40sw value pack and 30.00 for .45, 38sp and .380 I read on another forum.

45 ACP

230 gn LRN = .10
Powder = .02
Primer = .03
-------------------------
Used Brass = Priceless

50 rnds of 45 = $6.50

Back
Top Bottom