Fear of the dentist

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I went to the dentist for the first time in 2 years today for a cleaning. I have a few cavities; one is between two teeth. Anyone ever have a cavity drilled from between the teeth? The last time I went to the dentist the doctor drilled a tooth without any Novocain. So I elected not to go back. Now I have a morbid fear of the dentist.

How bad is a tooth drilling?
I had 4 out of my six or so done without anesthetic because I hate the anesthetic more than I hate the minor discomfort from the handpiece.

BTW, Novocaine has not been used in the US for quite some time as it is an ester and causes allergic reactions in a small but sufficient number of patients. The anesthetics currently in use are lidocaine, septocaine, carbocaine, bupivacaine, and prilocaine, all of which have their own different properties, advantages, and disadvantages.

I have a bad fear of that ultrasonic cleaner thing. So bad that I've been ignoring the dentist's calls for my cleaning. I'd rather let 'em rot and have 'em pulled out, that ultrasonic cleaner hurts me so much. I had an extraction last year, and it was nowhere as bad.
If you've got calculus (tartar) building up on your teeth, it can lead to gingivitis and then periodontitis, which leads to alveolar bone loss, destuction of the periodontal ligament and loss of the epithelial attachment of the tissues to the tooth, resulting in mobility and often tooth loss. Not that it necessarily will happen, but it does happen quite a bit in people who ignore their dental health.

There are good and bad dentists. Find a good one (ask for recommendations) and you should be fine. The one who drilled without novocain was beyond bad.
Like I've said, I've had it done electively without anesthetic multiple times, no big deal. If they're really close to the gums or pulp though... yeah, get the injection.

That bothers me also but they don't have to use it. Tell them to use another technique.
The other technique for removal of supragingival calculus (tartar above the gumline) involves scaling with manual curets and scalers (basically, sharp probes). Below the gumline, you have to use them anyway.

What is a ultrasonic cleaner thing?
It's a instrument that uses a magnetic field to create vibrations in a stack of discs inside the handle (this is the mechanism for the most popular type), which causes the tip to vibrate. This vibration, which is about 25-50K cycles per second, shatters the calculus off of the tooth. A water spray allows cooling and also helps displace the bacteria in the tooth and the gingival sulcus (the pocket between the gums and the tooth).

Dentists are nothing but sadists.
[shocked]

I'm no expert at all.. but root canals are not what they used to be. One visit and they will have all the roots out. Fit a crown and that's all that left. I avoid a root canal if at all possible.. but only because it kills the tooth and makes it more brittle.

Dont' get me wrong.. I don't like the dentist.. but you don't have another set of teeth!!! I avoided the dentist when I was a teenager and I'm pissed at myself. I now have HUGE fillings as a result.
They don't actually take the roots out. Inside each tooth, you have the outer enamel shell, the inner dentin layer, and then a hollow space. In healthy teeth, this is filled with the "pulp", which is soft tissue, blood vessels, and nerves (the nerves to the teeth conduct ONLY pain). When caries (cavities) come close to this pulp space, the toxins can leak in through the dentin and inflame the pulp. Once inflamed, the pulp is almost never savable and has to be removed. In a root canal, they drill a small access hole into the tooth, pull out the pulp with instruments, clean it, use sodium hypochlorite to kill any residual bacteria, and then fill the root canals (the hollow spaces inside the tooth roots that lead to the tissues beneath/above the teeth) with a special sealer and material, then fill the access hole like any other cavity.

I've had my fingers crushed off in a chain and sprocket (they're still gone). A slapshot in the heel hurts more.
I was forced to sit and watch the Obama inauguration.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been to the dentist since i was 17 I'm now 25. After years of neglect and a tooth chipping and knowing i have cavities. I wouldn't go in till about a week ago when one of my fillings in my moler feel out. I cant even describe the pain i was in but instead of going i just popped motrin like i was a pill head hoping it would go away.Went to work for three days in crazy pain. My boss asked what was wrong with me if i was sick or something. Told him that my filling fell out and he called his dentist and had me in the chair in five min talk about shiting my pants. Got there took some xrays and he said he couldn't save it next thing i know the next morning I'm at a oral surgent getting it ripped out.Went today for a cleaning and he found 8 cavities and possibly another one that has to be taken out. As much as that all sucks kinda feel relieved that it isn't any worst. Moral Of my Ramble the dentist sucks but not worth not going too.(there goes that ruger gp100 i wanted)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a horrible fear of dentists from past abuse, didn't go for about 8 years. then I went. needed a few extractions from some chips that got bad, two root canals, and almost every tooth needed a filling (I get punched in the face alot at last job and tend to partake in sports that are a bit bruital on me). long story short... wish I had gone sooner, cause then it wouldn't have cost me so freakin much to get all major work done (would have caught it sooner). Dr. Magonical (sp?) at Advanced Dental Care in Burlington, MA is AWESOME and I cant recommend him enough. great dentist but even more a really good guy.

I always elect to get the topical stuff on my gums first as I have an ingrown fear of sharp objects stabbing my face, and this helps alot (along with an ipod and a chair arm to grip). Fillings, between teeth or not, realy arn't bad at all, after the novicaine I could litteraly fall asleep in the chair, doesn't hurt after either.

Bill Nance

Banned
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't fear the dentist, but I do dread the visits because I know I'm going to have some work done EVERY time. Sadly I've just got lousy teeth, as did my mother.

I also have a very high resistance to drugs in general. The last time I had general surgery when they have you count down from 100, I sat up at 85, took off the mask and said: "Jesus Christ this is good shit!" I woke up in recovery three hours early as well.

So when I go to the dentist, (I've found a very good one) he shoots me up with double Novocaine and I'm fine. When I have a really nasty amount of work I just say screw it and get the drugs for sedation. 5 hours of dental work is more than I can stand at one go and I'd rather just get it over with in one visit.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
A festering molar can form a sinus tract leading to a brain abscess. Two years ago, a kid in Maryland actually died because he had a toothache that spread, but his mother wouldn't get it treated.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have a bad fear of that ultrasonic cleaner thing. So bad that I've been ignoring the dentist's calls for my cleaning. I'd rather let 'em rot and have 'em pulled out, that ultrasonic cleaner hurts me so much. I had an extraction last year, and it was nowhere as bad.
I am glad it isn't just me. I went to my dentist on Monday for a cleaning and they used the ultrasonic cleaner on me for the first time. I didn't know what to expect and man did that suck. There were a couple of points when I wanted to smack the hygienist. It got to a point where I started to choke on my own blood. WTF! I swear she enjoyed inflicting pain.

I hate dentists.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A great movie that will really put your mind at ease if you watch it the night before is "The Dentist" with Corbin Bernsen.

The Village Idiot

Shooting at the big range in heaven. 1952-2009
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Live Free Or Keep Voting In dimocrats State
I had 4 cavities between my teeth and it wasn't that bad. Just make sure he corks you up with Novocaine to numb you up and you wont feel a thing. The ultra sonic thing wasn't that bad ether it just feels a little weird. I just clench my fists and get though it if it hurts. Theres worse things that you could go though than a fillings and a dental cleanings.
+1

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I went to the dentist for the first time in 2 years today for a cleaning. I have a few cavities; one is between two teeth. Anyone ever have a cavity drilled from between the teeth? The last time I went to the dentist the doctor drilled a tooth without any Novocain. So I elected not to go back. Now I have a morbid fear of the dentist.

Yes, I've had cavities filled between the teeth. Not any worse than another cavities.

Drilling without a local? Find a different dentist. My dentist starts with a topical that he applies with a Q-tip. Only after he applies that does he inject the anesthetic. You don't feel any pain from the injection. You don't feel any pain while he drills the teeth and fills the cavity. It is certainly unpleasant. But no, not painful.
sedation dentistry
Sedation has significant risks. Far, far greater risks than a local. I was sedated when I had my wisdom teeth out. I've had lots of cavities filled, a crown fitted, and gum grafts on three teeth, all with Novocain and I'm a complete wimp when it comes to pain.

Gum grafts start with the local anesthetic injections. Instead of a normal syringe, the oral surgeon uses a syringe connected to pump. He spends 10 full minutes just injecting the local. Then he cuts away gum around the tooth. Next he cuts a strip of meat out of the roof of your mouth. He then closes the donor site on the roof of your mouth with stitches. Then he stitches the donor meat into the gum around your tooth. A filling is nothing compared to that. Trust me.

There is absolutely no way I would accept the risks of sedation for simple dental procedures.

Last edited:

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0

If the cavity is in it's early stages and is small it can easily be filled without the use of novocaine. When I was a kid all of my many cavities were filled without novocaine. This was back in the 60's and the drill was an old belt-powered job. The new drills use water to cool them as they drill. Dentists have told me that it's actually the heat and vibration from the drilling that people interpret as pain.

I had two filled about two weeks ago; the dentist said they were tiny and asked if I wanted novocaine and I said no. The total drilling time was about 15 seconds with very minor discomfort. He routinely uses novocaine when he works on me, so I figured that for him to ask these had to be really minor, and they were. Believe me, I'm no masochist or hero, I've just never found it that bad.

It's your mouth and your comfort. If you want novocaine ask for it. The dentist won't be offended or surprised. There are some helpful tips here regarding this. Don't sweat what he/she may think of you. My Dad was the bravest man I've ever met and he was terrified of dentists. It used to amaze him that I would hop into the chair without a second thought. [laugh]

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

EDIT to add the following:

I just remembered a surefire way to avoid any pain. Assuming your dentist is a guy, just do the following: When you're comfortable in the chair and he's ready to begin drilling, reach out and grab him firmly by the scrotum. While maintaining your grip, look him firmly in the eye and say, "We're not going to hurt each other now, are we?" [rofl]

Last edited:

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   1
Go and take care of the problem. I have a co-worker that let one of her teeth go and she had to have a hole drilled through the jaw to allow the infection to drain. She was on antibiotics for months and was is constant pain.
I can’t have any of the anesthetics because of my health issues and meds that I’m on. I had to sit through a root canal in a tooth that was abscessed. That was the worst pain of my life. I was concerned when I later broke another tooth and was told I needed another root canal and I wouldn’t need anything for pain. This Dentist was right, it didn’t hurt at all.
I would recommend talking about the procedure before hand and see what they can do to help.

Tommy

kiver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What is a ultrasonic cleaner thing?
HELL!!!

My hygenist knows I'm a wuss when it comes to cleanings. They put numbing gel on my gums prior to cleaning. Just let them know you are a wuss and ask for the numbing gel

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just remembered a surefire way to avoid any pain. Assuming your dentist is a guy, just do the following: When you're comfortable in the chair and he's ready to begin drilling, reach out and grab him firmly by the scrotum. While maintaining your grip, look him firmly in the eye and say, "We're not going to hurt each other now, are we?" [rofl]
And then the dentist slugged you in the face?

I honestly find it hilarious that so many big, tough, gun-toting NES'rs are afraid of a little dental work. It's not a big deal. And if you brush and floss after every meal, you've increasing your chances of not having to have anything more than a periodic cleaning. The ability to prevent frequent visits is in your hands.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually prefer the ultrasonic cleaner over the standard way.

I didnt go to see a dentist for five years because i had no insurance, that was the biggest mistake i ever made by not going.
I still dont have insurance and if i did it still wouldnt have covered the bills for all of the visits i needed to fix the problems i had.

I have weak teeth so i'm in the office four times a year for cleanings. As much as i hate seeing the cleaning bill it's better than what i paid for not going all those years.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have a few simple tools for you:

1. toothbrush
2. toothpaste
3. dental floss

Use them twice a day and you probably won't have any dentist problems anymore.

kiver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have a few simple tools for you:

1. toothbrush
2. toothpaste
3. dental floss

Use them twice a day and you probably won't have any dentist problems anymore.
I do that and have not had a cavity in decades, however I am an open mouth sleeper and the meds I take give me dry mouth. Unfortunaly this leaves me with gum issues. I've been told to chew gum but it is painful as I had seven surgeries on my jaw (that hurts worse then a slap shot to the heel)

Top Bottom