FBI: Record Gun Buying Hits 16th Straight Month

The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System logged more background check in April 2021 than in any other April on record, according to agency statistics. The FBI also said it has set records for every month all the way back to December 2019.

Awright!!!
Keep it up people. It sends a message.
(They know not what they do but at least they're doing something😆)

Where are these people finding guns? I get I'm looking for something specific, but it's a current production model.

Looking for something similar to my Glock 47, was looking at the 34 Gen 5 I think. If I find one, the price seems a 'little' high.

edit: uses the G17 barrel, maybe a 17 is in my future.

Screw buying guns right now...I’m having a hard enough time finding magazines for anything new I bought in the past year.

Normally I wouldn’t buy anything that uses proprietary magazines, but the CZ Bren 2ms in 7.62x39 was too cool to pass up. Now I have 5 magazines for it total, but need at least 5 more to be comfortable. The package deal of 3 I got on GB a few weeks ago was $125 shipped! That’s over $40 a piece for plastic flimsy banana clips.

Point being...pretty much everything is AVAILABLE, if you’re willing to pay for it.

Where are these people finding guns? I get I'm looking for something specific, but it's a current production model.

Looking for something similar to my Glock 47, was looking at the 34 Gen 5 I think. If I find one, the price seems a 'little' high.

i had no problem at all to get one when i wanted one. a g17 frame, then a 34 MOS slide. those slides go around $570 or so. may be cheaper somewhere, as usual, depends upon how badly do you want one.i had 19 gen5, got rid of it, now it is 1 dedicated stock g17 and one set of a gucci range dedicated frame with a 17/34/AA .22lr slides. works just fine for what it is intended.

I think it was supposed to be a 1911 slide on a 75/P01 frame.
Maybe its changed since and thats why it hasn't been released yet. Probably won't be anytime soon. Its KILLING ME!
it looks awesome sick, but, not a toy for me. :) shadow 2 is as close to perfection as it gets, i think it is enough for a couple of years at least.

Screw buying guns right now...I’m having a hard enough time finding magazines for anything new I bought in the past year.

Normally I wouldn’t buy anything that uses proprietary magazines, but the CZ Bren 2ms in 7.62x39 was too cool to pass up. Now I have 5 magazines for it total, but need at least 5 more to be comfortable. The package deal of 3 I got on GB a few weeks ago was $125 shipped! That’s over $40 a piece for plastic flimsy banana clips.

Don't feel so bad, some people bought a Bren Ten back in the 80's, and still don't have magazines for them.

how is it possible for the numbers to keep going up when there are no guns on the dealers' shelves?
the smaller shop I am hear about , the guns never make it to the shelf, they sell out by word of mouth as soon as they come in

how is it possible for the numbers to keep going up when there are no guns on the dealers' shelves?

People are buying guns online from places like CDNN, Davidsons, Buds, Outdoor Superstore, PSA etc.
The guns go directly from the warehouse to your local FFL, so they never end up in a display case at your local gun shop.

There are plenty of dealers that get assortments of guns every week. if your dealer's shelves are bare, they're not big enough or not aggressive enough.,

Like AMV says, there are waitlists, email and faceplant blasts that go out. A lot of stuff lands and is literally claimed the moments after it gets logged into
shop inventory.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but on anything popular, there is no longer a "so and so has an X, I need to think about it" option. Basically if you do that, someone else is going to
buy that gun.

Hey I think sleepy Joe might have his old boss beat on firearms sales.We are going to have to send him a box of 12 gauge shells for when
he takes his shotgun outside,and fires two shots.

Note that the sales # is just a bit over half of background check #.

How many were private transfers?

I don’t understand those numbers.

Legally, every NICS check must be part of a sale. You cannot do a NICS check just for fun.

Maybe “sales” means “new guns sold by manufacturers” and not “an exchange of money for guns”.

In that case, a lot of those NICS checks could be used guns sold by dealers.

Another confounding factor is that a single NICS check can be for multiple sales.

Legally, every NICS check must be part of a sale. You cannot do a NICS check just for fun.

Maybe “sales” means “new guns sold by manufacturers” and not “an exchange of money for guns”.

Another confounding factor is that a single NICS check can be for multiple sales.

Denied or delayed maybe?

I've had a 30 day delay on a background check from a dealer, but I might have been flagged for making a purchase that same day or the day before.
It was.........6 or 7 years ago? Say it was the middle of the month, I guess that would count as a check and not a sale.

Are there any states out there that offer a background check prior to purchase? Like a pre-approval or somethin like that

I really question the sales number. I don't doubt it, but whats the breakdown. And if its all dealer sales, is it new or consignment? How much of that is private or c.m.p. or c&r?

There are also pawn redemptions and consignment take-backs. Those both require a NICS check when you take the gun back. So anyone who bails on selling a gun and takes it
back undergoes NICS at least once.

I think "Sales" figures can be distorted, depending on who is reporting the "sales" if they're just talking gun manufacturers, the reason the number looks bizarre is
obvious, between plant shutdowns for rona, etc, going to skew the numbers. And before Mar of 2020 the channel was basically FLOODED with product....

Absent of MA laws, like in NH where its all available to you, many common things come in and out of stock regularly. Basically go to the big online places, setup alerts, eventually - "ding" its in stock. Prices suck, is probably +$150 on most Glocks, but you won't wait too long.

Prices suck, is probably +$150 on most Glocks, but you won't wait too long.

Lol, this is not necessary, if you did legwork you would not have to pay much (if any) extra on most guns. Maybe wait a little more, though.

This is what happens when you don't build relationships with dealers. Those of us who have, basically laugh at this.

Note every NICS check is for a sale. Some are done by pawn shops when a customer is redeeming a gun. Others are done by states as part of their licensing process. I’m sure there are other cases that don’t involve the sale of a firearm.

Note every NICS check is for a sale. Some are done by pawn shops when a customer is redeeming a gun. Others are done by states as part of their licensing process. I’m sure there are other cases that don’t involve the sale of a firearm.

There's also cases where you have to do a NICS check even if the intent isnt to sell a gun.

Say for example you want to loan your brother in law a shotgun for hunting that lives in another state, but you're far away and can't simply hand the gun to
him. This kind of scenario basically dictates an FFL transfer.

A 4473 doesn't necessarily mean a sale or transfer of ownership.

Another common one is a gun repair. You send a gun back to manuf. Manuf decides "this gun is shit, we're going to give you a new one. We'll send it to your FFL and destroy the old
frame" so now you need a 4473 to "get your replacement gun back" if the manuf doesnt re-use the serial number in the process of the repair effort. (they are allowed to, but most dont, because its a pain in the ass).

Are there any states out there that offer a background check prior to purchase? Like a pre-approval or somethin like that

Kind of. A lot of states (around half?) issue licenses that are acceptable alternatives to a NICS check. (Basically you get the NICS check when the license is issued.) Still 4473, but no phone call.

If I remember right, at one point the Mass. LTC was really close to meeting the ATF's requirements to be an acceptable alternative and only lacked having the state seal on it or something, but the state also needs to formally request it from the ATF and that seems... unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom