• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FBI firearms trace data released

Boston is half of the state's recoverys and they have the strictest rules and regs.

How do they ever get people to believe this stuff works?

Interesting time to crime statistic...sort of blows up the idea of restricting gun purchases to once a month. Only 16 guns out of 877 guns recovered were used in a crime within 3 months of purchase. 55 out of 877 were used in a crime within a year.

Out of 250K+/- gun owners in 2008, only 55 of them bought guns that were verified to be used in crimes in MA.

Interesting time to crime statistic...sort of blows up the idea of restricting gun purchases to once a month. Only 16 guns out of 877 guns recovered were used in a crime within 3 months of purchase. 55 out of 877 were used in a crime within a year.

Out of 250K+/- gun owners in 2008, only 55 of them bought guns that were verified to be used in crimes in MA.

The stats would be somewhat more meaningful if they could somehow delineate thefts vs things like straw purchases. I'd place a fair wager that the majority of the crime guns with an MA origin point probably were from theft and not straw/bulk purchases and the like.

-Mike

arg... you beat me to it, all the cities and towns make sense except Marston Mills

All you need is a couple of upper level drug houses to get busted, some of those guys have tons of guns socked away. One bust might net a couple of dozen guns that get traced. I remember a few years ago the police had this bust in Leominster, in this fancy house on Union st. This was not your typical drug house. It was this big ass mansion like thing with at least 4 bedrooms in it, and the neighbors had no idea the owner was involved with drugs. These guys are everywhere. When they sell a product with a 500% markup (or whatever it is) they can buy fancy houses. I'd place a fair wager that drug dealers higher on the food chain probably don't set up shop in big dump cities where their products are ultimately distributed.

An interesting part of these stats would be a separate number showing the relationship of recovered guns to drug dealers/distributors. I'd bet over 50% of these recoveries are somehow drug related.

-Mike

The stats would be somewhat more meaningful if they could somehow delineate thefts vs things like straw purchases. I'd place a fair wager that the majority of the crime guns with an MA origin point probably were from theft and not straw/bulk purchases and the like.

-Mike

Or not VIOLENT GUN CRIMES at all, but prohibitum mallum type crimes too. All this is are traces. They could be theft recoveries or "crimes" like 209 confiscations etc. The key point being the vast majority of the traces shows the "time to crime" (crime being defined as anything yielding a trace) is very high as to make straw buyers of new guns non existent. Not that straw buying isn't happening, but the theft of firearms is a significant source of guns on the street.

ETA: NY and CA are significant sources for MA and both of those have gun registration.

Re: marstons mills - google Kenneth Webster, Jr.

The massive cache of guns, knives and ammo — a .50-caliber handgun and .50-caliber sniper rifle, sawed-off shotguns, high-powered assault rifles, an inert bomb, throwing knives, bayonets and more than 1,000 live rounds, according to police and prosecutors — was seized when Barnstable police raided his house at 3640 Falmouth Road on Tuesday after arresting him at his parents' home on Wakeby Road earlier in the day.

Okay, so the sawed-ff shotgun is a no-no. Otherwise, sounds like that would be the trunk of any of our cars... Off the top of my head, I count 4300 rounds in my car right now...

masive arsenal of guns.

now did the state just have a case were the man was found not quilty of possesion without a permit.did not the SCOTUS rule that people have a right to own guns in their home.I wonder how many of those guns will find there way home in a LEOs hands.BUT it should be interesting if they go after the million plus people in mass that dont have a permit.he could have got the guns before the law on individuals went in to effect.that the rest of the sheep just nuckel under to. [rofl][laugh2]

Something kind of funny is that 9.84% of guns in NH originated in MA but only 5.9% of guns in MA originated in NH, yet MA thinks it's the big bad state from the north causing all their gun crime. Looks like it's their citizens causing crime in NH.

Back
Top Bottom