FBI Conducts Biggest Crackdown Of Police Corruption In History

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/06/puerto.rico.arrests/

Excerpt:

In the biggest crackdown on police corruption in the FBI's 102-year history, authorities charged a total of 133 individuals in Puerto Rico Wednesday as the result of a probe into whether police provided protection for drug dealers.

All but four people, who were still being sought, were arrested Wednesday, authorities said. In all, 89 law enforcement officers and 44 other people were indicted as part of a two-year undercover investigation into 125 drug transactions.

The scope of Operation Guard Shack was also described as unprecedented because 750 FBI personnel were flown to the island to carry out the raids and make arrests, Attorney General Eric Holder said. In total, he said, more than 1,000 FBI personnel participated.
Is this a cleanup operation in preparation of making PR a state? [rolleyes]

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Are you one of the idiots who still thinks making PR a state will suddenly put millions more on welfare?
No, not at all, I wasn't even thinking of that.

I was thinking of this; From Wikipedia:

Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam, are not allowed to choose electors in U.S. presidential elections or elect voting members of the U.S. Congress.
Making PR a state will give them voting rights in federal elections.
With a population of nearly 4 million, that'll gives the dems a nice boost in 2012.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Making PR a state will give them voting rights in federal elections.
With a population of nearly 4 million, that'll gives the dems a nice boost in 2012.
It comes up for a vote periodically in PR, and loses. It won't happen for 2012; not even close.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've only had the opportunity to meet a handful of Puerto Ricans. All of them were fire breathing patriots who would rather die than be part of this "Union."

We ought to give them what they keep saying they want: independence. Whether they really want it or not.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've only had the opportunity to meet a handful of Puerto Ricans. All of them were fire breathing patriots who would rather die than be part of this "Union."
I hope you had to travel to Puerto Rico to meet these "patriots" - otherwise I would seriouly wonder how "patriotic" they were if they were living up here.

It's like all the "I love Isreal" people I see - what they hell are they doing here then?

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Most in PR don't want independence or statehood. They want the status quo.
Which I read as welfare (of whatever form) - whether they stay there to get it - or come up here to get it.

Which is why I said that - because all the "fire breathing patriots" that don't want to become part of the US, should be forced to put up or shut up. Start seriously talking about letting PR be free, and the "fire breathing patriots" would probably pretty quickly be told to STFU by all the people who want to keep getting their hand outs.

I actually think keeping the PR independence movement going is a good thing - because when the govt. cheese dries up (the deficit will force that sooner or later) and the all the teet suckers start crying about the milk running dry - then the cries for independence will get louder. And so will the cry from the American people to "set them free".

Until then - I am sure a lot of those PR "fire breathing patriots" are probably talking out of both sides of their mouth - screaming for independence - and taking the govt. cheese too.

J

Jose

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which I read as welfare (of whatever form) - whether they stay there to get it - or come up here to get it.

Which is why I said that - because all the "fire breathing patriots" that don't want to become part of the US, should be forced to put up or shut up. Start seriously talking about letting PR be free, and the "fire breathing patriots" would probably pretty quickly be told to STFU by all the people who want to keep getting their hand outs.

I actually think keeping the PR independence movement going is a good thing - because when the govt. cheese dries up (the deficit will force that sooner or later) and the all the teet suckers start crying about the milk running dry - then the cries for independence will get louder. And so will the cry from the American people to "set them free".

Until then - I am sure a lot of those PR "fire breathing patriots" are probably talking out of both sides of their mouth - screaming for independence - and taking the govt. cheese too.
Let me be clear about something.

PR is NOT a welfare hole. PR is FULL of hard working people who own businesses, work on major American corporations and in local businesses of all shapes and sizes. Are there people on welfare? Yes. Are they the majority? Not even close.

A significant portion wants the island to become a state, however, the majority does want the free ride of being Estado Libre Asociado (Freely Associated Commonwealth) which provides Puerto Rico with all the benefits of US statehood but since it does not give PR voting rights in Congress, prevents Puerto Ricans from paying Federal Income Tax. They DO pay FICA/SSI tax. So it is not a completely free ride. Plus state income tax last I checked was 14% or so.

I do think the island needs to be given an ultimatum: statehood or independence. All or nothing.

The bullshit argument trotted out by the ELA (status quo) supporters is that the island will lose its culture with statehood. First, that is not a good enough reason to exist in political limbo. If such is so important to them, become independentistas and break away. Second, I see that Hawaii and Alaska have managed to hang on to most elements of their culture.

As far as the language goes, PR will remain a mostly spanish speaking place if it ever becomes a state. Why? Purely for practical reasons. The people who need to deal with the mainland and those who want to get ahead in life learn english. Those who want to stay in the island and never visit the mainland and never want to do business with anyone on the mainland will have either a very rudimentary knowledge of english or none at all. Such is the way things have been since at least 1952 and I have not seen a negative effect on the rest of the country. It's a non-issue.

Personally, none of that crap affects me or bothers me. I am never going back.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite PR-related story: the protests against using Vieques as a bombing range were finally successful. So without any targets to shoot at, the Navy no longer needed Roosevelt Roads NAB, and shut it down. The same protesters now screamed even louder about the loss of jobs and money.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My favorite PR-related story: the protests against using Vieques as a bombing range were finally successful. So without any targets to shoot at, the Navy no longer needed Roosevelt Roads NAB, and shut it down. The same protesters now screamed even louder about the loss of jobs and money.
Be careful what you wish for, eh?

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That sounds a lot like former Springfield Mayor Albano when he signed onto the Klinton era lawsuit against the gun industry. And who just happened to be the largest employer in his city? Thankfully he didn't get what he wanted.

J

Jose

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
As a former Navy officer, I LOL'd at that.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All I remember from Puerto Rico (a cruise launched from there, and we stayed at a resort on the last 2 days) was on the way to the resort, it seemed everything had barbed wire around it, and the people there were much better looking than the Puerto Ricans here. There were lots of police, and they were everywhere. Oh, and lots of barbed wire. It was rather chilling, wondering what goes on after dark there.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All I remember from Puerto Rico (a cruise launched from there, and we stayed at a resort on the last 2 days) was on the way to the resort, it seemed everything had barbed wire around it, and the people there were much better looking than the Puerto Ricans here. There were lots of police, and they were everywhere. Oh, and lots of barbed wire. It was rather chilling, wondering what goes on after dark there.
This:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jose. I apologize. I am speaking from my small world of knowledge, based on experiences in Worcester.

Top Bottom