• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FBI Agent John Shipley

It looks to me like someone is up his ass since 2005 and whoever is, it will never stop until he screw the guy even if he/she/they are wrong about the Agent.

Good luck tomorrow Mr. Shipley

Ish.

here is how he got in the pinch

EL PASO, Texas — A high-powered rifle allegedly sold illegally by an El Paso FBI agent was used in a deadly Mexican drug cartel shootout last year, court records show.

According to a 2008 search warrant, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives linked a .50-caliber rifle sold by FBI agent John T. Shipley to a March 2008 shootout between drug cartel fighters and Mexican army soldiers. An army captain and six cartel members were killed in the nearly three-hour shootout in Chihuahua, agents said in the warrant.

Shipley was arrested last week on charges that he sold weapons via a Web site without a license. He's also accused of lying to the ATF about who the real buyers were.

According to the search warrant, filed in court in May 2008 and obtained by The Associated Press Tuesday, Shipley sold the .50-caliber rifle to Luis Armando Rodriguez, a former El Paso County deputy sheriff convicted last year of illegally selling guns, who then sold it to a buyer in Mexico.

Shipley's lawyer, Robert J. Perez, did return a phone call seeking comment. Court records do not show if Shipley has entered a plea in the case.

According to the 16-page search warrant in Shipley's case, an ATF gun trace tied him to the weapon used in the 2008 shootout.

In a 13-page search warrant filed last year in Rodriguez's case, agents said Rodriguez was a member of a motorcycle club in Ciudad Juarez, just across the Rio Grande from El Paso, who often sold weapons to "Mexican officials."

Agents said Shipley told them he sold the rifle, complete with a scope, to Rodriguez in 2007 for about $8,300. Shipley also said he had previously sold Rodriguez another .50-caliber rifle for $11,000 and a third gun for about $3,300, according to the search warrant.

Shipley was not a licensed gun dealer at the time, according to investigators.

Legal gun sales in Mexico are strictly regulated, with most weapons, including high-powered hand guns and rifles, limited to use by the military. But countless guns are believed to be smuggled into Mexico from the U.S. every day. High-powered weapons are routinely used by warring cartels fighting among themselves and against the government.

More than 11,000 people have been killed in Mexico's drug war since President Felipe Calderon launched a national offensive against drug cartels shortly after taking office in 2006.

As the killings have mounted authorities on both sides of the border have launched efforts to stem the flow of weapons south and trace weapons found in Mexico.

Agents said Shipley told them he sold the rifle, complete with a scope, to Rodriguez in 2007 for about $8,300. Shipley also said he had previously sold Rodriguez another .50-caliber rifle for $11,000 and a third gun for about $3,300, according to the search warrant.

Shipley was not a licensed gun dealer at the time, according to investigators.

Why would he have to be?

website sales !

Isnt that what we do here, website sales ? That go threw a dealer ,4473 form or personnal transfer. Iam sure they have personnal transfers in Texas.They make gunbroker .com sound evil and we all know Obama nation wants to stop these things. I feel that this guy is getting railroaded.

Why would he have to be?
I don't know. I think it has something to do the number of guns he bought and sold. I've read that he bought 54 guns and sold 51 of them over a 4 or 5 year period. And no I have no idea if that's illegal or not.

Respectfully,
jkelly

It looks like you need to have a dealer license to sell weapons over in Mexico, but he sold them in Texas for what I understood. I hope they don't charge him with anything more than selling without a license if that’s the case. Mexico is tough and he could even be charge as accomplish on the murders even if he has nothing to do at all and for whatever reason the weapons still under his name. Good luck for him in tomorrows trail.

Ish.

I don't know. I think it has something to do the number of guns he bought and sold. I've read that he bought 54 guns and sold 51 of them over a 4 or 5 year period. And no I have no idea if that's illegal or not.

Respectfully,
jkelly

It must have been something along those lines - A very high volume of buying and selling in a short period of time.

I am reserving any judgement on this until more comes out. If the case laid out by the family on that website is true, then the ATF have SQUAT and this is a witch hunt. If this guy knew where Rodriguez was selling them then I have no qualms about where he ends up. Big ifs though and the political pressure on the ATF right now is unreal. In an environment like that, malicious and/or politically motivated prosecutions are very possible.

This scenario reeks of politics. The hot button issue recently was US guns being sold to Mexican drug cartels. You have a gun used in a Mexican shootout that can be traced back to the US. I think the ATF is under marching orders from the Obama adminstration to prosecute anyone they can find even remotely connected with selling a gun to Mexicans. This would be so the Obama administration can crow about what they are doing to stem the flow of illegal weapons going into Mexico.

Do some more reasearch on this guy.

He's not the saint his family would like you to think he is.

Exactly!! But, who are we to tell our family even if they know so, not to help us? I will help my son or daughter without a doubt even if I know he/she is a D-bag. Family is family and we can’t say any different. Any good man/woman did or will do something wrong in his/her life and any bad man/woman did or will do something right in his/her life. So as a father, if my son did something stupid, I will stay by him/her even if later on I put him/her on his/her place. That’s life period.

In this case, I am sorry for his family and for him if he didn’t do what people said, otherwise, I am only sorry for his family.

Ish.

If the facts in this indictment are the least bit true, he is done. He was selling for gain. He apparently had at one point put up for sale something he hadn't even taken delivery of. He supposedly bragged that because he was a G-man (hadn't hear that in a while, heh?[grin]), he got better pricing. He also kept a log of his purchases and furnished a partial log when asked telling them it was a complete list. The rest is weaker and more circumstantial, but the counts they focused on were the straw purchases. It looks like him running his mouth got him in the most trouble. Our friends on masscops should read this and take to heart they aren't as invincible as they would like to think.

I look on that site once and a while and it really bothers me. Some of the posts are rediculous. I read one before from a guy asking why he couldnt by a glock in MA.

The response was basically to go F himself and it was a "cops only" gun. Another guy chimed in and added that he was obviously a trouble maker and should let the cops worry about carrying guns.

In case you didn't catch it, I was sarcastic when I said "our friends". There are cops here on NES who would agree that is not a particularly nice group of people over there.

Read the damned indictment.

There's enough detail there to tell me they have him on numerous counts.

And, selling a firearm immediately after taking possession or worse, before is a pretty clear cut case of "dealing without a license".

But, hey, I wouldn't know shit about being an FFL. [wink]

Exactly!! But, who are we to tell our family even if they know so, not to help us? I will help my son or daughter without a doubt even if I know he/she is a D-bag. Family is family and we can’t say any different. Any good man/woman did or will do something wrong in his/her life and any bad man/woman did or will do something right in his/her life. So as a father, if my son did something stupid, I will stay by him/her even if later on I put him/her on his/her place. That’s life period.

In this case, I am sorry for his family and for him if he didn’t do what people said, otherwise, I am only sorry for his family.

Ish.

You are not a federal law enforcement officer. Believe it or not, having a family member that is a dirtbag and having a relationship with them is reason to be terminated.

It's a step brother, but I do not associate with one of my family members due to how it could come back and screw me.

Then again, I tend to not hang around heavy drug addicts as a general rule.

Not much of a surprise. They had him on various charges. Course, I'm sure this guy was a real significant threat to humanity. [thinking]

-Mike
BOHICA all the way. Shipley was set up to take a hard fall. Maybe he made some enemies in the Bureau along the way and they saw this as a chance to get rid of him once and for all. The FBI and the BATFE have always had a strange relationship.

BOHICA all the way. Shipley was set up to take a hard fall. Maybe he made some enemies in the Bureau along the way and they saw this as a chance to get rid of him once and for all. The FBI and the BATFE have always had a strange relationship.

I don't really think it was anything that elaborate. From the sounds of it this guy wasn't exactly prudent in terms of avoiding a "captain obvious" picture to those investigating him. One of his "customers" probably squawked to the ATF in exchange for being let off the hook of some smaller crime.

-Mike

From the article:
Prosecutors said he bought at least 54 weapons, then sold 51 of them for more than $118,000 between January 2005 and May 2008.

Not a big surprise what got him in trouble with the BATF.

From the article:

Prosecutors said he bought at least 54 weapons, then sold 51 of them for more than $118,000 between January 2005 and May 2008.

That's 54 guns in 41 months. Or 1.3 guns per month. 1 gun/month does not a dealer make. If I needed to raise some quick $$$ and sold everything I bought just in the past 12 months, my rate would be 2-3x that. Would I be considered a dealer then?

Sounds like trumped up chicken$hit charges to me. I hate the BATF. Very much.

From the article:

Yup. That, and his 2 sets of books...

They also accused Shipley of keeping two sets of records. One accurately reflected each of his gun dealings, but another that Shipley turned over to ATF agents lacked pertinent information such as driver's license numbers.

Back
Top Bottom