Faxxon barrels with integral muzzle devices

Faxon 16" Pencil Profile AR15 Barrel, 556 Nato w/ Integral Slim Flash Hider

So, here in glorious DPRM, would such a thing be legal to attach to a rifle? I honestly don't know. While the end of it is designed to function as a flash hider, its really just a part of the barrel itself and is therefore nothing. Just a barrel. On the flipside, because the end of the barrel is designed to function as a flash hider, the entire thing could be considered a flash hider and be verboten. Who knows. I saw it on an InRange video and Im bored as shit and stuck in the house on this cold ass day, so I figured id post it here to see if anyone else has any ideas about it.

"With integral slim flash hider"

The name of the item is the answer. Yes it's a flash hider, so it counts as an evil feature.

The AWB says "a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor". It says nothing about where the flash suppressor is it whether or not it's integral to the barrel.

Agreed. Welding and pinning, or silver soldering, a FH so that it is permanently party of the barrel gets you to same place.

Primary Arms has Faxon (one x) barrels, as well as other mfgrs, on sale this weekend.
They call it 14.5 with integral 3 port BRAKE.
Brake is same diameter as gas block, so you arent limited in assembly sequence.
Should be nice and loud.

the point of these low profile muzzle devices is to slide the gas block on/off without removing the muzzle device. with the exception of a 14.5" pinned muzzle device i don't see much purpose to these. i suppose it does save you the cost of pinning/welding which is a plus.

I'm using the 14.5" faxon with pinned muzzel brake ( makes 16" ) for a new build. IANAL, but with the brake it is legal. With the flashhider, not legal.

I was thrilled to find an option that makes it easy to change out the gas block and handguard.

No idea on MA but in NH I'm getting ready to install one of their 14.5 pencil barrels with the pinned flash hider. Replacing a different 16 inch pencil w/ a typical birdcage and Aero Atlas handguard/upper..

Actually is significantly lighter than my other pencil, plus over an inch shorter. Basically the other way to get something that is similar to an SBR while still being able to run a forward grip and normal stock, versus going with a pistol that is then subjected to special rules.

I'm using the 14.5" faxon with pinned muzzel brake ( makes 16" ) for a new build. IANAL, but with the brake it is legal. With the flashhider, not legal.

I was thrilled to find an option that makes it easy to change out the gas block and handguard.

Ya it is a great system, others are now following in their footsteps.

Previously the way it worked is you had to use a split style gas block, which was ok too - believe the barrel nuts generally passed over the hider ok but never tried it personally.

Ya it is a great system, others are now following in their footsteps.

Previously the way it worked is you had to use a split style gas block, which was ok too - believe the barrel nuts generally passed over the hider ok but never tried it personally.
I have, with a YHM low profile split gas block, and had to grind the $hit out of it to make it fit. Huge pain in the a$$.

Also, there are not a lot of split, adjustable, gas blocks out there, so the Faxon barrel is a huge win for builds in communist states. Makes it much easier for lightweight builds.

I have, with a YHM low profile split gas block, and had to grind the $hit out of it to make it fit. Huge pain in the a$$.

Also, there are not a lot of split, adjustable, gas blocks out there, so the Faxon barrel is a huge win for builds in communist states. Makes it much easier for lightweight builds.

Ya for any state really, just torqued mine on tonight, would be shooting it tomorrow but unfortunately waiting on the gas block to show up. Going w/ the faxon lightweight on it, figured make it a matched set.

JP is the one I'm familiar with thats split & adjustable, stumbled on it based on a recommendation and has been great so far on an Aero M5. Real easy install too - the top half snaps right on there tight, can be rotated but keeps its position for fine tuning alignment.

why need adjustable gas block on 223 gun? competition? on 308 sure but 223 its not worth the trouble and potential failure point.

why need adjustable gas block on 223 gun? competition? on 308 sure but 223 its not worth the trouble and potential failure point.

Competition is one reason. A lot of the 3-gun guys I shoot with run adjustable gas blocks. To quote Karl from InRange, "know what the advantage of an adjustable gas block is? Its adjustable. Know what the disadvantage of an adjustable gas block is? Its adjustable."

Reason you don't get the one with the integral brake?

This particular barrel + integral flash suppressor are about keeping the rifle light and easy to use. Brakes make the gun louder. Flash suppressors, uh, suppress flash. Long story short, check out the "What Would Stoner Do" series on InRangeTV:

This particular barrel + integral flash suppressor are about keeping the rifle light and easy to use. Brakes make the gun louder. Flash suppressors, uh, suppress flash. Long story short, check out the "What Would Stoner Do" series on InRangeTV:

Very familiar with WWSD. I agree about brakes and try to get quiet ones as really do not need the recoil reduction, but this being MA, when a company sells two nearly identical things and one says flash and the other brake, you are pretty much stuck with the brake. At least from the IANAL side.

Of course we are all adults so we can all make our own choices.

Reason you don't get the one with the integral brake?

Because its 5.56 and doesn't recoil..

On .308 I guess I can see the lure of a break but haven't gone there.

Redirecting sound is a cool idea but any of this stuff is gonna be stupid loud no matter what, at least without a suppressor.

Because its 5.56 and doesn't recoil..

On .308 I guess I can see the lure of a break but haven't gone there.

Redirecting sound is a cool idea but any of this stuff is gonna be stupid loud no matter what, at least without a suppressor.

I agree, but, again, since OP is in MA, choice is 14.5" with brake or 16 with no muzzle device if they want a MA legal 16" total barrel length. Or just say FU and get the flash suppressor and hope you will never get prosecuted.

Back
Top Bottom