WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WAR MOVIE?

• Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patton

• Memphis Belle

• Total voters
it wasn't a "war" movie per se, but I absolutely love Down Periscope.

Heck, I've even toured the boat that they used for exterior shots! It's the USS Pampanito, and she's tied up at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, restored to what her condition was like in 1945. Awesome tour!

Ross

Nickle said:
Definitely Full Metal Jacket. Deja Vu for me, I knew almost every one of Hartmann's cliche's.

Of course they were. Lee Ermey did 11 years in the Corps, including a couple of tours in Nam and a stint as a DI. When they were making the movie, Kubrick very quickly gave up trying to write lines for Ermey after discovering that Ermey could write better ones for himself; he'd just set the scene and let Ermey run with it. They then did a little trimming and ran with what he gave them. I remember the first time I saw it practically getting flashbacks lisening to him.

Ken

Ken,

Wasn't Ermey hired to consult for the movie and they ended up just giving him the part because he was way more convincing than the actor they hired for it?

Derek

derek said:
Ken,

Wasn't Ermey hired to consult for the movie and they ended up just giving him the part because he was way more convincing than the actor they hired for it?

Derek

Yes, that's true. Mainly because he had already played a Marine DI in "The Boys From Company B".

I picked FMJ

Honorable mentions for me would be:

Deerhunter
Apocolypse Now
Hamburger Hill (I think that was the name of it)

I remember living in L.A. back when they first came out. The movie house just down the street from our apartment was running a double feature, with two current releases. (The fact that they actually did that sort of thing tells you something about just how long ago that really was.) Talk about a wierd combination of war flicks: Patton, followed by M.A.S.H. What makes it an even stranger combination is that the opening scene in M.A.S.H. starts out with the words "And then there was Korea"

Ken

Funny that this subject came up since I was just talking about this with my fiance on Saturday.

I can't explain why, but I don't like soldier movies as much as I like movies showing civilians affected by the war around them. Movies like Schindler's List, The Pianist, Sobibor, Empire of the Sun etc are MY favorite war movies

Braveheart

I know I know...no "fire power."

I have researched Scots history since '92 and did Living History demos for years (partly why my screen name is what it is) and I love the hand to hand stuff.
Saving Private Ryan was tough to watch.
Platoon is another favorite...Tom Beringer and Willem Defoe just rocked in that movie...and if you look really close...you'll see a VERY young Johnny Depp in there.

I voted for “Memphis Belle”. Of the ones listed, it’s my favorite.

However, of ones not listed, “The Thin Red Line”, “Gettysburg”, and “The Bridge on the River Kwai”, come to mind. I would also give honorable mentions to “Black Hawk Down”, “Savior”, and “No Man's Land”. Of course there’s always the ones my dad and I used to watch together, on Saturday nights, on one of the local TV channels, movies such as “Force 10 from Navarone”, “The Dirty Dozen”, “The Devil's Brigade”, “The Longest Day”, and “A Bridge Too Far”.

Jen and I watched “The Alamo” and “Gunner Palace” last weekend. “The Alamo wasn’t great, but I enjoyed it. “Gunner Palace” was good.

AZMLII said:
I voted for “Memphis Belle”. Of the ones listed, it’s my favorite.

Jen and I watched “The Alamo” and “Gunner Palace” last weekend. “The Alamo wasn’t great, but I enjoyed it. “Gunner Palace” was good.

Saying that "The Alamo wasn't great" is a major UNDERSTATEMENT, hun[wink]

Back
Top Bottom