Favorite Tokarev load?

jpm

I just got a nice big batch of new 7.62x25 brass for my M57 and wondering if anyone else is reloading this caliber. What's your favorite recipe?

The guy I learned a lot of reloading from reloaded x25. From memory it was Sierra load manual. I loaded up a handful to try in my cz52 bacm then. I don't recall the actual powder charge. Unique powder. They where somewhat "weak" vs the surplus stuff I have. It shot well and I shot better groups with it. I don't shoot my 52 much and with the stock I have on hand I been putting of reloading it.
I do shoot wolf gold x25 out of my yugo 57. Saving the brass to tool up eventually. Post your findings.

I had good luck with 6.0 of Win 231 behind an 85 gr round nose Sierra #8005. COL of 1.360 Not as stout as the surplus stuff but accurate.

I had good luck with 6.0 of Win 231 behind an 85 gr round nose Sierra #8005. COL of 1.360 Not as stout as the surplus stuff but accurate.

Thanks. That seems like a long COL for such a small bullet though. The hornady 86gr RN I have would barely be in the case at that length I think.

Wouldn't it be cool if Ruger came out with an SR-Tokarev? Imagine, a lightweight, plastic, striker-fired, reliable, compact, modern gun in this caliber?
:)

Thanks. That seems like a long COL for such a small bullet though. The hornady 86gr RN I have would barely be in the case at that length I think.

Just re-measured and the COL is 1.360.

Just checked two different rounds
recent S&B and surplus 53 or 63 , both COL 1.370.

just picked up cz52 from another member here

ordered 110cal m1 carbine bullet heads and looking to use 5.56 cases.
still need to order dies any suggestions? I've been using lee.

RCBS book nothing Lyman has a bunch of of loads. nothing for larger bullets

Lee dies work just fine, that's what I'm using. 110gr M1 bullets (not heads, the bullet is the head of the cartridge) work fine, I've got some load data for that one I can post a little later.

I've been using 86gr soft point hornady and loading with unique lately. I'm up to 6.1g and just about there. Going to try some 6.2 and maybe 6.3 this weekend.

What's the prep involved with those bottleneck cases? PITA or not bad? I'd like to eventually reload when I run out of surplus ammo.

Well it depends on the brass I've come to discover. I tried reloading Prvi and S&B and the Prvi seemed ok but I had trouble with buckling on the S&B. I bought a bunch of Starline brass and its excellent! Loads easy as 9mm. The truly hard part is finding the load your gun likes with the powder you have on hand or can find. There's so little load data out there that you kinda have to be willing to cook your own to some extent.

ordered 110cal m1 carbine bullet heads and looking to use 5.56 cases.
still need to order dies any suggestions? I've been using lee.

RCBS book nothing Lyman has a bunch of of loads. nothing for larger bullets

ok for 110gr FMJ, I have a few different loads. They're all using Accurate powders and the data came from Lee.

AA#2 - start 5.6gr max 6.2gr
AA#5 - start 7.2gr max 8.0gr
AA#7 - start 8.6gr max 9.5gr

I used the starting AA#2 data to try the 110gr and it worked fine, shot low so probably need to ramp it up but I wasn't really interested in developing a load for that bullet. I'm using 86gr soft points.

Be careful if you use the loads in the Hornady book. They C.O.A.L. they specified jammed the bullets into the lands in my M57 Yugo.

update - 6.3gr Unique + 86gr JSP hornady is pretty close to the sweet spot. It may even be there but I need to test some 6.4gr this weekend to see how those shoot. It was far more accurate than factory S&B ammo.

Worked up another good load using Hornady 90 gr XTP's. I had trouble finding more of the 86 gr soft points so I gave these a shot.

I used 7 gr of Power Pistol
1.320" COL
and a pretty firm crimp as there isn't a cannelure and I noticed that some rounds I could easily push the bullets into the case by hand. I shot the rounds with a lighter crimp last weekend and had unburned powder being tossed all over my hand and arm after shooting. Increased the crimp quite a bit today and it worked great. Not terribly snappy and very accurate and clean.

From an older lee die set
5d879022af9814dac0b8f66945b9593b.jpg

I'd think the sabot would be a real screamer in a 7.62x25mm.

Seems there were some loads over on Makarov.com for the sabot rounds.
The Riot bullet would be a hoot, too!

I have a bag of brass if anyone of you guys want it, just pay shipping and its yours.

I could always use more Tokarev brass since it flings it into the next town if I don't use my brass catcher. Once fired or?

BTW, I just shot the last of your 290 gr lead 44 bullets yesterday. It's like someone punching you in the palm of your hand lol.

Sure thing man. I pick up ANY brass laying around the range whether I load for it or not, just for instances like this, where someone could use it. It is once fired, guy next to me was shooting it and was about to toss it so I scooped it up. It's all polished up and cleaned already.

Sure thing man. I pick up ANY brass laying around the range whether I load for it or not, just for instances like this, where someone could use it. It is once fired, guy next to me was shooting it and was about to toss it so I scooped it up. It's all polished up and cleaned already.

Nice! PPU headstamp? You take PayPal? How much brass? Enough to fit in a small flat rate box?

Back
Top Bottom