• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite shot, not hunting.

A long time ago I went with a group of older friends to a place in California.
I was given the rifle and they all talked about it being armored piercing.
I took aim on a boulder about 1k away and when it hit I saw the puff of impact..... and it split that giant thing in half.
I will always remember that.

Trumansburg, NY - T-burg Fish & Game Club about 20 years ago.
They always had a big turkey shoot day before deer season. Food, shooting games and competitions,a real fun time.
One of the events was you pay $1.00 for a slug to shoot at a clay pigeon tacked up at 100 yds. If you hit the clay you won a frozen turkey.
I put down a 5 spot and went 3/5 with my Ithaca Deerslayer, 20" barrel with open sights.....Some old guys gathered around when I was done to look at my gun.
"I knew it was an Ithaca, they shoot like a rifle..."
I took home three turkeys and swollen head.... [smile]

My friend was shooting 300 yards at a gallon jug with his rifle and getting pretty close to it, i was just standing around watching his frustration. I had an iron sighted .41 mag t/c contender with a 15" barrel, asked him if he didnt mind i try . He let out a hearty guffaw and i fired a hail mary, not a chance in hell shot and split the jug in half lol, he threw his rifle in the back of the truck, told me to f off and left. Never forget that.

I was hunting a hog back ridge that had jack pines and hardwood mix. It was raining so I was on the ground stalking. Through the trees down hill about 75 yards I could make out a big doe. It was in retrospect a shot I shouldn’t have taken. With a rifled barrel on my Browning BPS open sights I only had her dead to shoot at. She was looking up at me and I shot her right between the eyeballs. Dead before she hit the ground and was a long shot for me, but if I didn’t shoot, I wouldn’t have venison. Upper foote hill road, NY.

As a teen I took care of varmint control on my Grandparents' farm. The job was a combo of shooting and trapping. Normally I'd pull woodchucks on the trap out of the holes but thankfully one day when a skunk was caught in the hay barn it was already out of the hole. The trick was to 'turn the lights out' before the skunk could spray the barn and stink up the hay. Nailed it in the noggin from 35-40 yards with my 22. That's the best one I can post.

not with a gun, with a bow. After the Hunger Games movies, my daughters got an interest in archery. We shot 3d targets around the yard and after a few weeks they wanted to go to a Sunday Morning 3D

I'll start with I'm an average shot (at best).

The kids shot from wherever they felt like shooting from, both hit the target. We're at a fairly difficult target and I shoot and it's perfect shot Placement. My buddy says I couldn't do that again.

I Robin Hood my arrow.
Kids are super impressed and say "do it again" and sure enough, a Robin Hood of a Robin Hood. 3 Arrows stuck together.

For about 5 minutes my kids were in amazement...it soon wore off as my average ability took over

My favorite hunting shot: I took a quail in a perfect right-to-left crossing shot with an Antique Parker, with witnesses. [laugh]

My favorite of all time shot: my kid's 25th shot at Trap, when the previous 24 had broken. I was scoring the round, and still managed to get a picture of him, immediately after the shot. He was 9....the little punk. [laugh]

My 2 favorite shots.

New to me Smith scandium .45
Shooting with a buddy. Shoot a mag or 2 @ 30ft with a fairly decent grouping.

Buddy looks over and says "yea! Let's see you do that at 50!"

I put up a new target (5 x 3" style with a 1/2" ring at the center) pull the trigger and look over and smile as I pull the target back. 1 shot dead center in the center target. The hole all w/in the center ring. Totally accidental / lucky shot. Packed up and left.

2nd favorite was Clay's. There was one that went almost straight up and came almost straight down probably 50ft high. I used to take it like 5 or less feet off the ground. A friend (great shot and guy) says "tell me how far you are leading the shot?" I tell him No F'n way!" . He says "you won't tell me how far the lead is?" I tell him I just did? He says "what?".
I tell him when I pull the trigger I think to myself "there is no F'N way I'm going to hit that" 🤣

Last year, I took my new 6.5 Kardashian AR out for shits and giggles. Shot it at 100, because, why not? I switched from 147 gr ELDs to 140gr SIG precision to see what i 'd get out of it. First three were well in the .5 MOA range. I thought " oh, what the hell" and went for a five shot grouping. Of course number four went right into the group, and then... Flyer! Like, bad! Called it right away. Went to the target, and the new ammo had a POI shift of 2" higher and 1.5" left of zero. The flyer, however, was the most gorgeous dead center I've ever shot. Literally the perfect bullseye. That's my fav.

Back
Top Bottom