Favorite Reloading Manual

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
I need a new updated reloading manual and need your recommendations. I haven't been reloading since the late 90's and need to know what ones are the most comprehensive. The ones I have are from the late 70's early 80's. Yikes!

I looked on Hodgdon's site but it's not great for .223's and they don't cover a lot of different bullet brands. It seems each brand of bullet has it's own load range and some identical weights of bullets have very different loading data.

For starters I'm looking for data on 55 FMJ, 62 SS-109 and 68 Hornady HPBT using CFE-223 and Varget.

Thanks

Last edited:
I need a new updated reloading manual and need your recommendations. I haven't been reloading since the late 90's and need to know what ones are the most comprehensive. The ones I have are from the late 70's early 80's. Yikes!

I looked on Hodgon's site but it's not great for .223's and they don't cover a lot of different bullet brands. It seems each brand of bullet has it's own load range and some identical weights of bullets have very different loading data.

For starters I'm looking for data on 55 FMJ, 62 SS-109 and 68 Hornady HPBT using CFE-223 and Varget.

Thanks

You won't find a large assortment of bullets choices with a bullet manufacture published book.
I don't have a favorite
Hornady, Sierra work well for me as I use their bullets.
For a larger variety of bullet choices I will pic up or down load what the powder manufactures put out from time to time.
Other than that I will use manufactures on line resources for data I can't seem to find. I also call/emIl for data I just can't seem to find.
You will most likely not notice a huge difference in data from your old books to new books.
Unless your really updating your bullet and powder choices to stuff that is truly new in the past years.

I just use the latest Lyman and Hornady manuals as well as Hodgdon's website.

I'v always found the current Lyman manual useful.
The data in the Lyman manual mostly agrees closely with other published data.
Online data can be helpful for loads that are too new or unusual to appear in current printed manuals.

Jack

Whatever you do, don't toss the old manuals. I don't know what I'd do were I to discard my Winchester 15th Edition Reloader's Manual (1997). Still come across a lot of W540, W571 and W680.
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1973) and Ideal Hand Book #35 (1948) are also handy references.

Last edited:
I like the Lee Modern Reloading Vol II, its not particularly manufacturer specific and has lots of data for popular cast bullet choices,, its one of my most used manuals. The Lyman #49 is another favorite among others. Excellent cast bullet data for rifle and pistol, and some odd loads not found anywhere else, in particular reduced rifle loads using Unique.

Some manuals I'll buy just for one section, for example, I got the Hornady 7th (I believe) strictly for M1 load data as well as 308 service rifle data.

You can never have too many manuals though really.

I a beginner, but I like Nossler, as they indicated the most accurate powder and most accurate load for many powders. I'm sure YMMV...

My two cents worth:

BUY MORE THAN ONE BOOK

I like the following:

Speer currently edition #14 (approx $30)

Hornady currently edition #9 (approx $30)

Lyman currently edition #49 (I shoot lots of cast lead bullets, and Lyman has the best data collection for cast) (approx $25, soft cover)

Those companies update frequently, and their load data is typically solid! You will see many examples of data which seems to conflict when looking at cross references between the three books. If you only had one book, you'd never know. The fast answer is that all the books are right, even when there seems to be conflicting data. Look at the test guns they developed the loads with, and it will help you decide which i best for your your gun.

And, finally, CALL the bullet and powder manufacturers for load data. They have an obligation to keep you safe and current. They'll suggest good/better/best powders and starting/max loads for virtually every circumstance.

Additionally, some of the manufacturers have on-line load data available.
Hodgdon and Alliant are two of the best done web based load data resources.

All of the bullet manufacturers also offer mini-catalogs of load data. You can call them and request a FREE copy.

You can't have enough load data resources.

But, one book isn't enough.

I'm consolidating my rifle powders down to Varget and CFE-223 which will cover a wide category of calibers and bullet weights. I tried the one caliber 223 book but it was really the same as I already have. Also there were no listings for CFE-223. Hogdgon's online data is not very detailed and you need to do some guessing which I don't want to do in reloading.

I'm consolidating my rifle powders down to Varget and CFE-223 which will cover a wide category of calibers and bullet weights. I tried the one caliber 223 book but it was really the same as I already have. Also there were no listings for CFE-223. Hogdgon's online data is not very detailed and you need to do some guessing which I don't want to do in reloading.

What are you left guessing with hodgdon load data on line.
CFE is pretty new so it will only show up in manuals updated since 2013 or so.

Another thing you need to consider is there seems to be a lot of bias towards some powders/bullets in each manual.
For over all bullet selection Western Powders online data has some,of the largest bullet choices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom