Favorite Powder Scale?

I dumped my Lyman 1500? electronic scale for an RCBS 505. The electronic scale was a PITA to use. Always had to keep re-zeroing it.

I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing shotshell doesn't need to be dead nuts on? (could be wrong) anyways, it does work, I used it for just pistol for a long time. Replaced it with a gempro that I'm much happier with though. I wouldn't trust precision rifle loading to the Frankford.

Last edited:
My favorite scale is a cheap-o Lyman beam scale that came with my first reloading kit. In over 40 years of reloading I have replaced most of my equipment save the old beam scale. Why? Because it is simple to operate and reliable. This may sound funny from a guy who does most of his reloading on a 1050, but sometimes the cheaper, simple tool can be the best choice

The problem with electronic scales is they have to be maintained at consistent temperature. If your reloading room is cold and you only put the heat on when you're in there that's very bad for the accuracy of electronic scales. So that's something to take into consideration when you're choosing. I have to keep my electronic scales in the warm portion of my home. When I'm going to be in the loading room I turn the heat on and then bring the scale's in after the heat stabilizes. Yes this is a pain in the ass.

Just bought a new/used scale from eBay. Will report on how it works when it arrives. I have high hopes for this one. Supposed to be very accurate.

I need a powder scale for shotshell reloading. Was thinking of picking up a
Frankford Arsenal DS-750

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BATT...&CQ_search=scale&CQ_st=b&categoryId=734095080

Thumbs up or down?

Thanks for all the replies!

Did pick up the Frankford. Worked great for me! On the powder drop was a tenth of a degree (.1) of grain higher then my friend's beam scale and exactly the same on the shot. Tap of a button to change for Grains to Ounces... Tap to Zero. Picked up some different bars so will be testing more shortly.

30+ years ago when I was to corner the market I bought a Dillon electronic scale. It failed within a few months and Dillon replaced it free of charge. About a year later the New Dillon failed. Both drifted about a half grain and wouldn't hold a zero. On the second one I again called Dillon and was told the Lifetime Warranty didn't apply to electronics and they couldn't/wouldn't repair. The solution? Buy another.

Electronic scales are affected by heat and cold, fluorescent lights, anything that has an electric aura and just because. **** that shit. 1010 all the way.
Mine has never failed and considering it is 40 years old, may never. No calls to smarmy, ahole techs. No warming up. No replacing batteries. It too can be calibrated in seconds. Not that it's EVER changed. It's a Ron Popeil scale. Set it and forget it.

Dillon...balance beam type...bought in 1987...it just plain works and is easy to use. I can't imagine I'd ever need to replace it...

Back
Top Bottom