Favorite powder for 9MM

FrugalFannie

NES Member
What is your favorite powder for reloading 9MM? I am curious as to what will meter the most consistent in a multi stage like the Dillon 650. Generally using Berry's HBRN 115- 124 grain depending on what I can locate. Really just looking for a powder that charges consistently.

I've been using W231, Red Dot and Clays for over 25 years in my Dillon 550, and only in the last few years added Bullseye to my powder selections for 9mm. They all work fine for me.

For plated and jacketed titegroup. For lead w231/hp38 or wst. All of them meter fine.

Tite Group would not work in my SIG P 226 stainless. The problem was failures to eject. Cases were striking the edge of the ejection port and deforming to the point that they could not be reloaded and some didn't make it out at all. This occured with lead and coated (Precision) bullets. Changing bullet weights and powder loads made no difference. Switching to WW 231 cured the problems.

Well the whole set up is packed for the move but the first caliber I need to load when I get moved is 9MM so thanks for all the opinions. I may get to try them all as I started buying powder whenever I found it so I have quite the selection in small amounts. I guess I will be able to decide for myself.

Hodgdon Univeral Clays (HUC) I have not used any other, its easy to get and clean but I'm not an expert. I used 3.9 grains with 124 grn FMJ MG bullet mixed brass. I aim for a low power factor abt 1100.

9 major I use 8.2g HS6 under a 125gr MG for 1450 fps. Load on a Dillon 650

9 Minor I use 4.0g 231 under a 125 Poly for around 1050 fps

9mm Major? No wonder your Glock blows up. I have found that 4.0 of 231 doesn't make minor is some of my guns with 125 gr bullets.

Unfortunately Vihtavuori have announced to cease production by mid-2014.

That sucks, they make some great powders. I really like N320.

The previous suggestions for Win231 are worth listening too. It's a good powder that meters well. I use it for my .38 special loads.

Tite Group would not work in my SIG P 226 stainless. The problem was failures to eject. Cases were striking the edge of the ejection port and deforming to the point that they could not be reloaded and some didn't make it out at all. This occured with lead and coated (Precision) bullets. Changing bullet weights and powder loads made no difference. Switching to WW 231 cured the problems.

I used Titegroup before I switched to N320 and it ran just fine in my 226's. (Sounds like I might be switching back.)

Back
Top Bottom