Favorite Military "sayings"

Mine Detector.

As in " Henderson! Cover your ears, close your eyes and stomp your feet! You are so f***in smart, we are going to make you a mine detector!

Henderson was about 6'6" and weighed about 270 and was darker than licorice. He could barely read, and the drill instructors would say "Henderson! Lay it on me one time!" "A...B...C..."
He cried like a baby in Boot when it took 4 DI's to throw him into the pool. He was crying hysterically when he realized he was in about 4 feet of water.
No one said a word to him about it when we got back to the squad bay. He had murder in his eyes.

From my AF acquisition days:
"Software that works is out of scope."
"Cost, schedule, performance. Note which one is last."

“Elevate your f***ing feet goddammit.”

“Dude. Just get down and start pushing.”

“f***ing drone. Beat your face.”
Ranger Class 5-83. Sergeant Major pulls all the soon-to-be grads into a loose formation before we get on the bus to Benning.

“You’ve earned your Ranger Tab for life: no one can take that away from you.

But if you ever get fat, I hope you f***in die.”

Ranger Class 5-83. Sergeant Major pulls all the soon-to-be grads into a loose formation before we get on the bus to Benning.

“You’ve earned your Ranger Tab for life: no one can take that away from you.

But if you ever get fat, I hope you f***in die.”
Too funny. There is some truth though to lots of guys packing on weight quickly when they get out because they’re so used to taking in such large amounts of calories just to sustain their op or training tempo that when that actually stops, they just can’t keep up with the fitness aspect but the food intake remains. It’s kind of like the freshman 5 or whatever those college fags call it.

Thankfully I’m still very handsome and fit so it doesn’t apply to me. lol

Slight variation was “move out smartly and draw fire.”

skillkraft qualification

10% rule, you gotta be 10% smarter than equipment you work with. In your case its a f***ing fork.

get you ass over here wedge. You know why I call you wedge?….because it is the simplest of all tools.

your mom should have thrown you out and kept the afterbirth

initial PT test …ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE,ONE

pointing in the general direction of a group of recruits pointing with knife hands, “just get on down and beat your face….oh, you don’t know who I am point at, all of you just get on down.”

range walk

“hey, which one of you shît birds can drive?”

uglier than a bag of a**h***s

cadiot referencing a ring knocker cadet assigned to basic training platoon.

Embrace the suck!

as a civilian, the only time I ever heard that line was in the movie "Generation Kill". It is such a classic truism, though, that I coopted it for life at the hospital.

When we said it to each other we would cross our arms and bump our chest as if we were actually embracing some suck.

Who wants to be a pilot?

"Bravo Echo 3 .... Echo control"
"Bravo Echo 3 .... Echo control"
"Echo Control... Bravo Echo 3 Go."
"Bravo Echo 3 .... Echo control... You will be 5 Clicks Due West ASAP"
"Repeat ... 5 Clicks Due West ASAP"
"Echo Control... Bravo Echo 3... What's the rush?"
"Bravo Echo 3... Buffs inbound ... Understood?"
"What the Fu*k ... Over?"

Our Cavalry Scouts were trained on artillery fire missions: then never, ever allowed to do so.

///

initial PT test …ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE,ONE

//
Graduated OCS four days before reporting to BAC and was in the best shape of my life. Start on the push-ups and the Black Hat says “1,1,1…” eight times. I stopped, did one really deep one “two.” Just did them slowly and deliberately: two minutes is plenty of time.

No one talks about the Devil’s own training device: the “Swing Landing Trainer.”

Last edited:
Sure, but did any non-artilleyman (or non-mortarman) ever really learn what the mil scale on the outside is for?

Even if they did, they still think in degrees.
I'm neither of those and I know what the mil scale is for.

I still remember how 17.7 factors into the equation.

Degrees is certainly faster, even if they are less accurate.

No one talks about the Devil’s own training device: the “Swing Landing Trainer.”
O. M. G.

What a useless bit of training that was. It didn't simulate the PLF at all, because here you are swinging a few feet off the ground, then you get released to free gravity and crash to the ground with no time to react. Nothing at all like an actual parachute landing.

I wiped out on the SLT and continued to do PLFs. Ended up with internal bleeding in the sinus or something. Spitting up blood for three days. Went on sick call and was a Tower Tango recycle. The SLT was hell for me the first try.

When I went to my unit I did a total 44 jumps in 3 and a half years. I never busted up during a landing and landed generally like a bag of poop. Several high wind jumps results in feet - ass - head landings. A couple feet - head landings. Think I learned my lesson from the SLT the hard way!

Back
Top Bottom