Favorite Hunting Recipes

This recipe was developed by me over three years to ensure big game meat is palpable to those who love game meat and for those who tend to shy away from wild game cooking.

Ingredients:
1 Can of Campbell’s Condensed Beef Broth
1 Campbell’s Can of Port Wine
Chicken Stock when necessary
1 Onion
3 Gloves of Garlic
Roasted Red Peppers
Montreal Gill Seasoning
Sault
Olive Oil
Directions:
The day before, wash and clean the venison roast. Place the roast in a glass bowl and cover with milk and let it sit overnight (This removes excessive blood in the meat which gives a strong game taste). Next morning wash off the venison with cold water and dry thoroughly. Discard the milk. Lightly coat the venison with olive oil and season with Sault and Montreal Grill Seasoning. In a frying pan, heat some olive oil and brown roast on all sides. Place roast in crock pot with Campbell’s Condensed Beef Broth, then use empty can to measure a (good) port (or red) wine and add to pot, and then add one onion quartered and 3 gloves of garlic. Use roasted red peppers to layer on top of the roast for aesthetics and flavor. Use chicken broth to ensure liquid is half way up to roast. Cook in crock pot on high for four hours and then low for two hours, or you can set it on low for eight hours.

Braised Venison Crockpot

Braised Venison Crockpot

Ingredients:
1 Can of Campbell’s Condensed Beef Broth
1 Campbell’s Can of Port Wine
Chicken Stock when necessary
1 Onion
3 Gloves of Garlic
Roasted Red Peppers
Montreal Gill Seasoning
Sault
Olive Oil
Directions:
The day before, wash and clean the venison roast. Place the roast in a glass bowl and cover with milk and let it sit overnight (This removes excessive blood in the meat which gives a strong game taste). Next morning wash off the venison with cold water and dry thoroughly. Discard the milk. Lightly coat the venison with olive oil and season with Sault and Montreal Grill Seasoning. In a frying pan, heat some olive oil and brown roast on all sides. Place roast in crock pot with Campbell’s Condensed Beef Broth, then use empty can to measure a (good) port (or red) wine and add to pot, and then add one onion quartered and 3 gloves of garlic. Use roasted red peppers to layer on top of the roast for aesthetics and flavor. Use chicken broth to ensure liquid is half way up to roast. Cook in crock pot on high for four hours and then low for two hours, or you can set it on low for eight hours.

Marinate venison backstrap whole in half italian/half teriyaki or soy. Put some minced garlic in there too Marinate in fridge for 12-24 hours.

Heat a cast iron skillet medium, cook down some onions/peppers/mushrooms....reserve to the side leaving a few in the pan.

Add butter heat pan back up, slice backstrap into 1 inch thick medallions, place in hot pan, sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning, sear, at 5-6 minutes flip again add more Montreal, sear. Turn heat down add vegetables back to pan with venison. Take whole pan to table and serve over/with rice.

My girls came home from shopping one night when I fell asleep on the couch and helped themselves to two bowls each of Bambi stew. Later that night my daughters boss started a hunting conversation at his restaurant and asked if the girls liked deer. They both said "No."

ANYHOO! I just got back from 2 weeks in Carabou ME and had this at the Boondock Grille. Mussels steamed in Sam Adams, served in Jalapeno pepper melted butter with crushed red pepper to adjust the heat, served with bread and or linguini. They started doubling their order to keep enough mussels in stock for us.

Anyone have any good goose recipes?

Treat it the wy you would treat liver. Slice the breasts lengthwise(the grain runs the opposite way you would think it does), slice it about 1/4" thick, dip into egg and then seasoned bread crumbs. Then. brown it in 50/50 olive oil and bacon fat, toasty on the outside, rare on the inside!
Tastes terrific, instead of like a cooked dog turd.

Anyone have any good venison sausage recipes I have cooked it many different ways and its ok but nothing I'd recommend

Venison sausage is depending on what they add for fat as well as seasoning.
Don't overcook it.
I par-boil it then throw it on the grill for a few minutes
It's good with peppers and onions, but better in spaghetti sauce

I am sure everyone back straps are gone by now but this recipe will work next fall

Smoked Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Back straps.
Get charcoal ready on grill. and stick your wood chips for smoking in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes (this will create more smoke)
I take a back strap and slice it in half almost all the way through ( make it look like a sub roll) coat it in olive oil
I then stuff it with pepper jack cheese, onions, mushrooms, peppers and spinach.
Secure it closed with some tooth picks
add a dry rub
Wrap in bacon
cook on a low temp away from heat for about 30 minutes15 min each side.. then 5 min each side right over the heat of the coals to crisp bacon
Don't worry about over cooking the bacon will keep your venison from frying out
When done right there will be a nice smoke ring, crisp bacon and a piece of meat you can cut with a fork.

Seeing as the season is upon us, does anyone have any good turkey recipes? Thanksgiving-style and soup with the leftovers come to mind, but how about something a little more unique?

Goose Milanese.
Breast out
lightly brine overnight.
slice in medallions
pound out until uniform
flour - eag wash- panko bread crumbs
saute till brown on both sides

serve with braised kale and a baguette
top with squeezed lemon and drizzle with olive oil

simple works with any proteins.

Back strap - It's what's for lunch.
Kept it simple; butter, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and a little steak seasoning...
All gone and delicious!!

IMG_5259.jpg IMG_5261.jpg

Pheasant Corn Chowder
1 pheasant boiled, 6 strips on bacon (your choice) chopped. Save the fat. In a pan 5 yellow potatoes, 1 yellow onion both chopped small. Put onion and potatoes in pain you can make soup in. Drop in grease and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add pepper and Cajun seasoning to your taste. Once tatoes start to sizzle drain in 2 cans on corn saving the for later. Cook till potatoes are partly cooked. Add bacon and 2 cups of water. Season again with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Let cook till potatoes are 2/3 cooked. Add in pheasant deboned and cut how you like. Add the corn you saved and cook for 5 minutes. Add in 2 cans of cream corn and hear till cream corn in warm. Add 16 oz heavy cream and season to final desired taste. Cook till cream is warm do not boil.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8 pages in (out of 11) to the "Favorite Hunting Recipes" thread and I finally come across the first "Hunting Recipe". Should change the thread name to "Chicken or Cat?"

Probably my absolute favorite and I made it tonight is venison filet Wellington. Of the charts good and I am now stuffed!

Attachments

• 7396E7B8-643A-423B-B1DA-9021D7686E9E.jpeg
    7396E7B8-643A-423B-B1DA-9021D7686E9E.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 78A21776-315B-4C1D-8781-B67B1C74E7D9.jpeg
    78A21776-315B-4C1D-8781-B67B1C74E7D9.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 27
I'm headed up to Bird Camp with my hunting buddies tomorrow, and I just whipped up a batch of filling for Easy Grouse Pot Pie.

Clean and chunk grouse breasts, one per person. (I'm making a pie to serve four hungry guys, so four birds.)
Saute, season with salt, pepper and Umami spice. (I use a Trader Joe's product, you can get it on Amazon, as well.)
Remove the grouse from the pan, and without cleaning the pan, saute a bag of mixed veggies, with a bit more salt and pepper.
Place veggies and grouse in a mixing bowl, add a can of Cream of Chicken soup, a can of Cream of Celery soup, and this year I added a can of Cream of Bacon soup, 'cause bacon.
When cool, I put it in Tupperware for the trip to the North Maine Woods. I use pre-made crusts, bottom and top, poke a few holes for venting, cut out a dough shotgun for a decoration on the top, throw it in the oven until brown and bubbly.
Come and get it boys!

My first time making this:
Bacon jalapeño pheasant poppers on the grille. Very quick and simple. Very tasty!
6CCFC7DB-C807-4766-8641-08E61CA22DF2.jpeg

Last weekend I did duck Yakitori with a hen woody I shot Friday morning.
The weekend before I made venison stew from one of the deer we shot last year. Thank God for the vacuum packing food saver.

There's an excellent old game cookbook from LL Bean... has recipes for every beast on land and sea. For vension, rabbit, etc I think a braise almost always works wonders.

I butcher all my own deer and have always just boned out the front shoulders for the grind pile. I made this dish from a Steve Rinela recipe last weekend with the front shoulders of a recent deer and had 10 friends over. Also cooked some backstraps and tenderloins, simple salt and pepper and on the grill. EVERYONE, including me, preferred the shoulders to the backstrap steaks. First time I have ever done it and will never send a front shoulder to the grinder again!! Easy recipe and 3-4 hours of sitting in an over at 275 then eat. Fall off the bone tender and great flavor!!!

I'm planning to dehydrate some older Venison in our new Ninja (multi use unit) for my dogs. Any one have any experience doing this? I'm wondering how long to do it. It's just the meat, no marinade. Thanks in advance

Not really a recipe but just some things thrown together. Potatoes, carrots, onions and stew meat from a recent road kill. I added one full bottle of honey barbecue sauce and a half bottle of ken's italian dressing, one package of old el paso regular taco seasoning, and one package of lipton onion soup mix.
20230420_174600.jpg20230420_171226.jpg

Back
Top Bottom