Favorite Hunting Recipes

No, I don't hunt, however hubby and I have friends that do and every so often they give us some venison or whatever the "catch of the day" was. Only problem is, especially with the venison, I don't know how to prepare it so that it does the meat justice.

Any favorites you'd like to share??

Depends on what you have. A whole shoulder - bone in, steaks, back strap, etc.

The biggest thing to watch is drying it out, very little fat. If you're cooking a piece on the grill, marinade it then cook it quickly on high heat, flip once.

TonyD said:
Depends on what you have. A whole shoulder - bone in, steaks, back strap, etc.

The biggest thing to watch is drying it out, very little fat. If you're cooking a piece on the grill, marinade it then cook it quickly on high heat, flip once.

To be honest, I don't know Tony - we get it in slabs or chunks...kind hard to name the body part. :D

The wife fixes Venison Stew using the same recipe as Beef Stew. Just use Beef Gravy and Beef Fat. Trim the Venison very well. Venison Fat has a very rancid taste, and is disgusting to eat.

Like Mrs WW said, cook like Beef. I also don't make Venison Steaks (or chops), since the meat is so lean, and you have to trim so much, it gets tough.

Never tried moose,imagine it's as lean as venison. Steak wise you just can't cook it as long as you would steak otherwise you'd have shoe leather, but I also like my meat rare. Wave it over the coals a few times so it's warm Good to Go for me. :D

Moose is far better than Venison. My daughter-in-law's step brother shot a 565 pounder last year, in VT, with a 308. He used some 165 grain Hollow Point Game bullet loads, the same stuff I use in my M14. The kid was 14 at the time.

We had a fair amount of moose at deer camp in Maine in late November.

Lynne said:
:p Does Moose taste like chicken?

[lol] [lol] <slap knee> [lol] [lol]

(sorry, I couldn't help it)

No, only chicken taste like chicken!

Most recipes made with wild game always taste better, moose, deer, etc. Wild game has more taste than our steroid raised meat, but it has less fat and you have to adjust the cooking methods you're used to. The meat we buy out of the store greatly depends on the fat for flavoring because the meat is basically sterile.

Even when I raised my own pigs,I never gave them antibiotic or steroids. They were grain fed,plus whatever the ate around their pen,and it was the best pork. I really need to think about raising them again. Basically I knew what they were being fed,same with my chickens when I raised them.

Man am I tired. I was reading the post and tought that you wrote "Does moose taste like children?"

I like to marinate venison in Italian dressing. But it is very similar to beef in the way that you cook it. Short cook, high heat. I have never eating Hog or Boar. Lately I’ve had a hunkering for some hog. A kid from my hometown swears buy squirrel pot pie.

Not unless Cat legs look like frog legs. So cat taste like chicken. Actually just up the road from the asian market I frequent is a Korean Mkt. I go there for kimchee.

MrsWildweasel said:
Not unless Cat legs look like frog legs. So cat taste like chicken. Actually just up the road from the asian market I frequent is a Korean Mkt. I go there for kimchee.

Cat legs DO look remarkably like big bull frog legs.

Back
Top Bottom