• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite Carbines!

Lately been looking into getting a carbine bolt or lever action chambered in .223 and was curious if the masses had a favorite? The CZ-527 stirs my mind at the moment. any others i should be looking into? i am not opposed to used or new! iron sights or for scoped usage.

Dom

I love lever action carbines, but good luck finding one chambered in .223 because pointed bullets don't play well in tube magazines.
The only one I've ever seen was a Browning BLR-81, but that's an exception because it uses a detachable box magazine.

I saw a cz bolt in 223 the other day at ZHA and if I did not
Have something else on layaway it would have a new home
Had the full length stock I love

Zappa, i had the BLR in mind as well but they are a tad pricey! i may change my mind on the chambering. i just want something easy and fun to shoot, and seeing as how I no longer have a lever action :)

Zappa, i had the BLR in mind as well but they are a tad pricey! i may change my mind on the chambering. i just want something easy and fun to shoot, and seeing as how I no longer have a lever action :)

Any particular reason you want a .223 ???
I find the pistol caliber lever guns the most fun to shoot, and less expensive to feed than those chambered in rifle calibers.

I'm gonna out myself here and say I love my Mini 14.[smile] Its not the most accurate rifle but does ok as long as you do your part, it was designed to be a military rifle, and best of all it eats anything.

I was oogling a mini 14 target rifle. I want a .223 because i have a crap load of ammo and have nothing to shoot it with! (times were rough and i sold my AR) I've been looking at used carbines, the target rifle, bolts like the CZ.

I was oogling a mini 14 target rifle. I want a .223 because i have a crap load of ammo and have nothing to shoot it with! (times were rough and i sold my AR) I've been looking at used carbines, the target rifle, bolts like the CZ.

Target rifle and Mini 14 just don't go together.[laugh] These rifles were never intended for match grade accuracy but more as a semi auto .223/5.56 rifle that could take some abuse and serve its purpose. They're light, easy to use, easy to work on, and have similarities to other US semi sutos like the M1 and M14. They're great for a high capacity plinker but if its accuracy you're after a bolt action would be a better choice.

I would honestly have to shoot it myself, to each their own. I had heard the target rifle was far more accurate than the mini 14 which is famed for not being able to hit the broad side of a barn door from the inside....

Lately been looking into getting a carbine bolt or lever action chambered in .223 and was curious if the masses had a favorite? The CZ-527 stirs my mind at the moment. any others i should be looking into? i am not opposed to used or new! iron sights or for scoped usage.

Dom

doesnt nessesarily have to be a bolt or lever. just something affordable and fun in .223 really. but ive been oogling a .44 mag henry carbine recently...decisions decisions!

Dom

Make up your mind!

I'm gonna out myself here and say I love my Mini 14.[smile] Its not the most accurate rifle but does ok as long as you do your part, it was designed to be a military rifle, and best of all it eats anything.
I'm stepping out with you SKS Ray...[wink] This Mini-14 Tactical "Scout" is a complete blast to shoot and it runs the cheapest steel .223 from $15 mags with out a hick-cup or accuracy issues, its my "favorite carbine"

DSC04332.jpg

Its Hogue OM stock and Spector sling arrived last night, so here it is "completed"
DSC04416.jpg

I love the Mini-14. I prefer the old school version, as that was what I bought for my first rifle, back in '81:
March2009001.jpg

But the factory folding stock is also pretty cool.
March2009016.jpg

My wife loves it in the full stock. Light comfortable, and perfectly scaled for her size. Outside of limitations for long range accuracy, my only beef with the mini is lack of cheap mags.

Chris

The CZ 527 in either .223 or 7.62x39 is a good damn rifle. It's much better than some of the other names that have been thrown out here.
I have a 527 in 7.62x39 and back home it makes a fine short range deer rifle.
My father has a 527 in .223 and it is varmit rifle accurate without a weight of like 8 or 9 Lbs.

All that being said, they are kind of a PITA to scope due to bolt handle / scope bell clearance issues.

smitty

Last edited:
i finally shot my ruger mini 14 that my dad passed on to me earlier today. Was fun and had some good pop to it. Just wanted to chime in :)

I own both a Browning BLR-81 in .223 and a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, both great guns but the browning really isn't much of a carbine, the CZ is by far the handiest gun I own, it's actually more manageable than most of my .22s until you fire it, then you realize it's a big mean gun.

The browning was pricey, but it shoots as well as any bolt I own.

Back
Top Bottom