Favorite bedside safe?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I've read a few threads on here, but I still am not sure what one to get. Does anyone have one that they bought and it's just been great??

Is that "Gun Vault" that FS sells any good?

I only want one big enough to fit my G19, but obliviously I want it to be fast as all hell and easy to open (i.e. I can open it in the dark, under stress, with no problems).

Thanks for any suggestions.

We have a few by Safari Safe co.
I think V-line made them as well. They can be screwed to the floor or drawer bottom, or attached to a bed frame with a heavy cable.
Heavy steel with mechanical Simplex locks (no batteries to die and leave you wondering). We set all the locks to the same combo.
Big enough to hold a G19 or a G35 with light mounted and an extra mag.
Not sure who is still making them.

Bio Vault, biometric pistol safe.
All it takes is your thumb print to get it open.
It plug in to the wall and has a battery backup.
Cost is $230 or $260 depending on size (medium or large).
You can get them from Cabelas.
smitty

I have two gun vault's from F.S. They're bolted side by side on the top of a Stack-on 14 gun cabinet next to my side of the bed. I can have them open simultaneously in approximately 3 seconds in the dark by sitting up in bed and turning to the right.

You should check out the console vault for your vehicle. I've had mine a while and it comes in handy when going in the P.O. or my daughters H.S.

[video]http://consolevault.com/vehicle-vaults/[/video]

I know where this thread is going... [wink]

I need to figure out how to change the CBS to "NES". [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all the suggestions are good ones. Do you have children? If not, you don't need a bedside safe. Just lock it up when you leave the premises. IANAL....that's just what I do

This.

I never paid attention to locking up my guns when I lived in Mass. other than when I left the house. I do the same here. I lock them up when I'm worried about theft, not because of a stupid (and yes, it's criminally stupid) law.

Do not just use a damn nightstand. Get a quality pistol safe you can quickly get into late at night in the dark under stress. That's why I said the Bio Vault, just a thumb print and bam it's open. There is your pistol / light in hand when you need them the most.
smitty

Do not just use a damn nightstand. Get a quality pistol safe you can quickly get into late at night in the dark under stress. That's why I said the Bio Vault, just a thumb print and bam it's open. There is your pistol / light in hand when you need them the most.
smitty

Why would you use a safe? Seriously, give me a good reason other than some convoluted fantasy of a call to 911 for a heart attack resulting in a charge. Seriously what are the chances of that happening?

If complying with the law seriously jeopardizes your safety, F**** the law. Just observe the 11th commandment: "Thou shalt not get caught."

Just lock it up when you leave the premises.

When Cross-X was posting here he implied that he'd defended clients who had been charged for improper storage when sleeping with a gun nearby. In his words, he'd never seen the argument that a gun was under one's control when they were asleep work in court.

Why would you use a safe? Seriously, give me a good reason other than some convoluted fantasy of a call to 911 for a heart attack resulting in a charge. Seriously what are the chances of that happening?

People who have run into medical emergencies, burglaries, house fires, etc. have been charged for improper storage in Mass. It happens all the time, there's many accounts here on NES.

When Cross-X was posting here he implied that he'd defended clients who had been charged for improper storage when sleeping with a gun nearby. In his words, he'd never seen the argument that a gun was under one's control when they were asleep work in court.

People who have run into medical emergencies, burglaries, house fires, etc. have been charged for improper storage in Mass. It happens all the time, there's many accounts here on NES.

All the time? I can think of ONE case that's been posted here. F*** the law when it's insane. That's always been my default position. So far I've managed to avoid a felony conviction. YMMV.

All the time? I can think of ONE case that's been posted here. F*** the law when it's insane. That's always been my default position. So far I've managed to avoid a felony conviction. YMMV.

There's caselaw on it, many news reports, and accounts that haven't made it to NES. Fire dept. calls seem to be a big source from what I've read.

See this POST I use the FAS1 Safe. Rugged as hell, doesn't need batteries, and the lid has a pneumatic lift so it presents your gun so you can grab it quickly. Bolt it next to your bed and go to bed with the lid open. When you get up in the morning, just shut the lid and your firearm is secure. they are on sale now on their website for $189 and $179 for 5. I think that's a pretty good value. Actually, it may be something to consider for an NES Group buy.

I actually bolted mine down to the floor behind my nightstand, so it is out of sight but easily accessable from my bed.

Not sure if it qualifies as my favorite if it's the only safe I've ever owned, but the gunvault I have is nice. Never once had an issue with it opening. Top shelf has some documentation on it, bottom padded shelf has two loaded clips, a Buck Mark and an XD9. I opted for the electronic combination over the biometric. While I like the fact that the door opens in a fast spring loaded manner, I do find myself catching it on the way down. No need to make additional noise.

Fitz

There's caselaw on it, many news reports, and accounts that haven't made it to NES. Fire dept. calls seem to be a big source from what I've read.

Contary to popular belief though, most calls don't end that way.

You could also at least go halfway. One of the stack on spring loaded top jobs would be perfect. Run it open and then if it needs to be secured, just have someone slam the lid down and its locked.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-QAS-710-Drawer-Motorized-Electronic/dp/B0012EK2LK/ref=pd_cp_hi_1_img

ETA: There does seem to be a flaw with the unit... easily compromised unless mounted to something, but that's kinda typical...

ETA2: Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice. I'm just being realistic in the sense that I believe most people keeping a gun for self defense probably believe that having to actuate a lock of any kind is way too slow... at least this is "half of a legal condom" [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:

It's probably also worth noting that most of those cases may never -make- it to court. When legal expenses (and possible jail time) appear on the radar, it's tempting for people to plea out. It would be interesting to find out the distribution of these cases that actually make it to a real court/trial.

-Mike

I use a GunVault and like it a lot. I would recommend the normal 4-button one... I do NOT trust the biometric safe at all. I've heard a few stories about people having problems opening them. I can open my 4-button GunVault in less than a second without looking. Just my $0.02.

I use a GunVault and like it a lot. I would recommend the normal 4-button one... I do NOT trust the biometric safe at all. I've heard a few stories about people having problems opening them. I can open my 4-button GunVault in less than a second without looking. Just my $0.02.

Agreed + $.02 [grin]

I had a GunVault and the cable broke. I now use DAC Sport Safes at home and work. One is several years old and works perfectly. You should be able to find them for no more than $100.

Same. Got mine at Walmart. I like the fact the door is spring-loaded, and the little light that comes on when the door opens.

Back
Top Bottom