1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Favorite after market pistol sights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Engineer, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Engineer

Engineer NES Member

The white dot in my M&P FS 9mm front sight keeps flaking out. I’ve re-painted with various sight paints, fingernail polish, model paint etc but I just need to replace it.

That’s where the the fun began... I started browsing only to find a gazillion different options! HiViz, truglo, Trijicon, OEM Night sight, and innumerable others (ain’t the free market wonderful!)

I can’t try them all but I can ask for input from all the experts here. Yes, I know “It works for ‘me’ YMMV”.
    THe pistol is range/house gun if that affects your input and I’m not looking for optic. At least not for this pistol, just front post or front/rear pair.

So, what type, color, config works best for you and why ?

2. WJM

WJM

Trijicon HD night sites

3. Caveman

Caveman NES Member

I prefer the Trijicon Bright and Tough tritium 3 dot sights. I find the smaller front dot allows me to make more accurate aimed shots. For defensive, I train not using my sights so they don’t matter to me for that. Only taking my time aimed shots. I put them on all my pistols that I carry so that I have the same sight picture no matter what rig I am using.

glockstar likes this.
  4. GoodWillHunting

GoodWillHunting NES Member

My favorite is generally a green fiber front sight with a blacked out rear. Dawson Precision is great.
    If going night sights I still like a rear sight without paint. Trijicon HD yellows or Tough and Bright whites.
    Trijicons are also my default backup irons for use with an RMR.
    I put Hiviz on the majority of my revolvers.

I still like the Trijicon HD's alot, and they are "fast" and tough but i find my accuracy suffers. I am leaning toward fibers for almost everything now . I tend to like a finer notch an smaller front post for accuracy when needed.

5. Cuz

Cuz NES Member

For house, carry, combat: Ameriglo Spartan Operator.

For competition/range use: Sevigny fiber optic.

6. SJan

SJan

Dawson precision
    /Thread

7. Lokdog

Lokdog

Bingo

glockstar likes this.
  8. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

This

9. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i bought a set of these vickers sights from wilson for a glock with a gold bead front. i do like a u notch rear, lou at bec installed one for me on a 1911 a few years ago and i really liked it. and i went with a gold dot for better acquisition for my older eyes. the combo is working for me. and the gold bead works well in low light. it was a toss up between this or a green fiber optic front. i heard good things about the gold dot sooo. i can pick up the sights on a plate rack much faster with these which is something i struggled with in the past. they sit a bit higher than stock glock sights too. the pic looks like yellow paint but it's a true gold color bead in real life.
    [​IMG]

Fleshwound likes this.
  10. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I like Dawson fiber optic sights best.

11. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

I just swapped out the Xray3 night sights on my P365 with OEM Sig White dot sights because I can't see night sights for shit (the sig lite sights on my p320 are even worse).

I painted over the night sights on my p320 (with a white oil sharpie) and saw an improvement in target acquisition. The P320 will be my competition gun (USPSA and Steel Challenge) so I'm not sure if I will replace the sights with white dots or something else.

12. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I’ve used Trijicon on several pistols over the years and have been quite happy. In fact, I have their suppressor height sights on my new G19, and they’re just as good as the first pair I bought ~20 years ago for a gun I sold (the effectiveness of those sights I’m sure are long gone). That said, I picked up a used HK 45C with MeProLight night sights and they’ve been quite good. This is my first set of MPLs, so it wouldn’t be fair to compare them to the Trijicons, but they’re damn good.

13. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva

Tru Glo TFX Pro. Have them on all my pistols, and the wife has them on hers as well.

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Been a huge fan of XS Big Dots for years. Since they were Ashley. When the situation is bad, that huge dot is hard to miss. Shockingly, you can get pretty precise with them as well.

15. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

That depends. For competition use, I prefer a fiber optic front sight with a black rear. I prefer a narrow red rod (I find green is too bright and “blooms” in my vision) and a wide rear notch. As others have suggested, Dawson makes great competition sights.

For carry, I use 10-8 Performance or Heinie, with a tritium front sight and a plain black rear sight. Again, I prefer a wide rear notch.

I’ve tried a gold bead front sight. It is too bright in sunlight for me. The bead blooms so much in sunlight that I can’t accurately place it in the rear notch and I can’t see the top of the front sight to get a precise elevation. This is true even with polarized sunglasses. YMMV.

Mesatchornug and Squib308 like this.
  16. Engineer

Engineer NES Member

Thanks to All. Tons of good insights.

17. Compooky

Compooky NES Member

Heinie because I think straight eights are easier to line up well horizontally in low light conditions.

M1911 likes this.
  18. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

While I have gone with all black rear sights, I also like straight-eight sites.

19. AM13

AM13 NES Member

For carry/SD i like Ameriglo pro i dots.

20. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain NES Member

21. swampy

swampy NES Member

I put Tru Glow fiber optic sights on my M&P9c. Green rear sights and a red front. It made quite a big difference for paper punching at the range. The sights were easy to change though I already owned a sight pusher. Natchezss.com had the best prices and choices.

22. Slotheadslim

Slotheadslim NES Member

I have these in the day/night sights version on my Glock 43 and my Ruger LC9S. They are the best investment I made. Really wonderful.