Favorite 38 special powder

Mark from MA

NES Member
I bought a 642 and didn't think I'd shoot it much, mostly a BUG. But I'm having fun with it....actually hitting stuff too, which kinda surprises me. That's why I think I'll do some reloading.

I have mostly powders for auto stuff....haven't reloaded revolver ammo before....so what do you guys use for plinking and heavy loads?

[cheers][cheers]

I dont load any heavy loads but thus far CLAYS has been very good under 158gn semi wad cutters. I have also used american select and bullseye.

I have mostly powders for auto stuff....haven't reloaded revolver ammo before....so what do you guys use for plinking and heavy loads?

[cheers][cheers]
What do you use in your autos? Some of the powders used in 9mm and .45 will work in 38's. Can't go wrong with Bullseye for light loads and Unique when you want a little more zip. I have also used Titegroup and Win 231 in light loads.

I use bullseye lately alot in all auto calibers. 9, 40 and ,45. Looks like i'll just use it for 38 as well.

Thanks guys.

I've only ever used W231 in .38 (and light/mid .357 loads), but only because I already had it on the shelf. Works just fine.

Edit: and AA#2 in .38's, too. Also just fine.

Last edited:
2.7 grains of Bullseye, pushing a 148-grain wadcutter or a 158-grain Keith-shape has been a classic target and plinking load for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom