• None of the above.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • CCI Standard Velocity

Votes: 28 38.4%

• Total voters

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Hi Guys.

I have some random boxes of 22 LR. A little bit of this and a little bit of that. I don't shoot a ton of it because I can shoot centerfire for the same price or only slightly more.
That being said I'm wondering what everyone stocks up on for bulk 22?
I have gone through bricks of just about all of the popular stuff without having any real issues. Maybe a dud in a brick. Not a big deal as I find I drop more while loading mags than I ever have FTFs.
If you had to choose one type of bulk 22 to stock up on which would it be and why? I'll toss out a poll to make it interesting but I'm sure there will be other ammo not on the poll so add in your comments.

Edit to add. I did not originally put the CCI standard on the list as I don’t consider it “bulk” and if I added that then I feel like I should add more individual boxed options to level the playing field. I’ll add it for the heck of it.

Last edited:
If Im buying bulk to save money and I want a reasonable out come in all my 22s its CCI sv.
When I find ammo my 22s like I buy a 5000 rnd case for that particular 22.
If im trying to shoot for score and hit the X ring.
SK standard plus and wolf match extra are the low er cost choices although they are a bit out side the "bulk" packs for price.

I gave up on buying the "value packs" several years ago.
i have ammo thats 40 yrs old that shoots fine.
What I find funny is all the specialty 22lr like the stuff made for semi auto.....wtf. Some where the ammo or gun makers failed to make ammo or 22s that cycle....or they just got smart ?

The "Other" catagory will be the favorite is this poll because CCI is not on the list. CCI is cool because of all the different 22 offerings they have. Aguilla should get honorable mention as well.

I have found the Fed Auto match is the most reliable for semi's, with CCI a close second. But this is why I love my Henry. It eats anything. 22lr to 22 short. And when Mr. Woodchuck comes around chomping the wife's vegetable garden, 22 quiet makes about the same noise as my Gamo Whisper pellet gun, and the tube holds 22 rounds.
My M&P cycles best with FAM and Geco HV. My 22 pistols are super finicky and remind me I need to pick up a 22 revolver.

I have found CCI SV, mini mags, quiets and stingers to meet my needs but I don't know about "loose" bulk options as I typically buy a case of "sleeves". I shoot 22 from the basic 22 guns; s&w revolver, ruger MKiii, Henry lever, s&w mp 15-22 and so far good cycling, clean (for 22) and reliable firing and decent accuracy for plinking at the range.

The "Other" catagory will be the favorite is this poll because CCI is not on the list. CCI is cool because of all the different 22 offerings they have. Aguilla should get honorable mention as well.

I have found the Fed Auto match is the most reliable for semi's, with CCI a close second. But this is why I love my Henry. It eats anything. 22lr to 22 short. And when Mr. Woodchuck comes around chomping the wife's vegetable garden, 22 quiet makes about the same noise as my Gamo Whisper pellet gun, and the tube holds 22 rounds.
My M&P cycles best with FAM and Geco HV. My 22 pistols are super finicky and remind me I need to pick up a 22 revolver.
That 22 quiet from cci is fun to shoot. Wont cycle through my 10-22.....which I expected....but I had to try it of course. Through my Henry it's reasonably accurate out to the 25 yards that I tested it. It's almost silent.

All that said I buy a ton of fed auto match. Stack it deep. It runs well and accurate enough for hunting small game and hitting plates through all 4 of my 22lr fire arms so it's good to be able to grab one box and head to the club with a couple different guns that will run it well. If I completed in bullseye rimfire leagues I'd probably be buying something "better" but it just works for what I use it for.

Added cci sv to the list and a justification as to why it wasn’t there originally.
You can change your votes for all of the cci guys

Cci standard should be on the list. It would probably get as many or more votes than the fed auto match. I know a few guys that run cci standard for everything even bullseye league.
yep, i try and stick with anything cci and would certainly stock up at a sale. i ran cci green tag in pistol league for years and found a few cases under my reloading bench left over from those days during the shortage...insert happy dance here. what i won't buy is fed champion 22's. i'll shoot anything federal except their .22 ammo.

Bulk, CCI SV. Non-bulk (but not selected by batch), Wolf Match or SK Standard Plus. I don't shoot rimfire matches, so, don't do the select by batch number approach.

If I had to pick one kind of .22 ammo it would be CCI Mini-Mags. They may not be perfect for any one purpose, but they are pretty good for almost anything you would do with a .22. I have also seen many semi-autos that run best with Mini-Mags. So many in fact, that I think the hassles I save with Mini-Mags is worth their substantial cost increase over bulk ammo.

With that said, what I shoot most is CCI SV, because I run most of my .22 ammo through target pistols, and CCI SV is great for that. I still chose other in this poll though, because Mini-Mags are the broadest solution to the most problems.

If I can't get CCI ammo, or I need something cheaper, I look at Aguila. Some of their ammo performs very well, especially considering the price. The smell of Aguila ammo is pretty odd, but if the smell of the ammo is the worst problem you have with a .22, then you're having a fine day.

Another vote for CCI Standard. It is the only ammo I use in my High Standard SuperMatic Citation. I try to always make sure that I have at least a case of it on the shelf at all times.

Thanks for reminder, I need to order another case!

For me, "bulk 22lr" means anything sold in loose pack boxes of 50 or more rounds, so that can include CCI-SV.

Today turned out to be one of those rare days when Standard Velocity goes supersonic out of my full-length 22 rifle (11°F).

Last edited:
For me, "bulk 22lr" means anything sold in loose pack boxes of 50 or more, so that can include CCI-SV.

Today turned out to be one of those rare days when Standard Velocity goes supersonic out of my full-length 22 rifle (11°F).

where are you seeing SV in bulk? I buy it by the case but always either in 50 or 100 packs

I always thought of "bulk 22" as any ammo that comes loose in boxes/cans/buckets etc. Federal 525 round value packs, Winchester M22, golden bullets etc.

But everyone has their own definition.

Back
Top Bottom