Faux case hardening coloring

mac1911

NES Member
Anyone give this a try.
I have a stevens 311 current “case” hardening is pretty much washed out.
Perma Color™Case Coloring Kit

Theres some light pitting. So im deciding to just clean it up and stop the rust or Go a bit more and try to faux it

I’ve watched a ton of videos on this stuff. Seems like it does a good job.

Almost all of the production “case hardening” is done this way now. You gotta go custom to get the real deal.

I’ve watched a ton of videos on this stuff. Seems like it does a good job.

Almost all of the production “case hardening” is done this way now. You gotta go custom to get the real deal.
Yeah I doubt stevens was doing the case hardening the hot charcoal way. Even back then im sure it was all chemical.
Have a steven 311 that needs a little refresh im tempted to cerakote the thing also

Rust bluing is pretty easy and inexpensive to do at home.
Im not sure I want to rust blue reciever.
I will probably do the barrel Been cleaning up the barrel and its showing the scratches from where the pitting was first go around.
I used the old nickel trick to remove some of the rust. I will probably just cold blue it. Its a 311 going back in the field for the next several years. Im not sure its really “worth” more in time and money.
Fixed the crack , did a wipe on poly cleaned up the receiver and still flipping coins on how far to go with barrel.

I dont have a decent work space to do much and getting uninterrupted time in this house is f***ing impossible!
Oh and the day I decide to do my stock
Everyone in the house has to come tramping through the basement kicking up dust…fun I might do one more coat and put it rogether

Back
Top Bottom