• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Father of Columbine Victim Pushes For Stricter Gun Laws

The reason they don't do this is because it's disrespectful and it smells like political pandering. The bradyites do it all the time and get away with it, which is why they get people like this kid's dad to "suck" for anti rhetoric. The NRA, as much as I loathe it most of the time, tries to take the high road on these kinds of things. I think the reason is because the mostly libtard press in this country would spin it badly if the NRA did it, but they let brady/vpc/etc get away with it all the time.

Good point.

It's not much different from the media coverage where moonbat pols only get mild scrutiny for running gay brothels or whatever it is they do, but when a republican cheats on his wife, the media will burn him at the stake in comparison....

Isn't that mostly because the said politician has usually taken a much more holier than thou attitude? John Edwards and Spitzer got burnt as well as an example.

The other problem with your idea is the NRA even responding to things like wackjobs shooting up malls or whatever in that fashion, is that the act of them responding to the victims or whatever, implies this notional that they were somehow responsible, in some way or another... and that's just bad juju. The NRA and other advocacy groups should not, in any way shape or form, conflate their responses with the actions of violent criminals.

-Mike

Good points again. Maybe there should be a funded but separate org. Basically it is frustrating to not have some balance here. I know the political landscape today is such that additional gun control isn't likely, but that can change with one election...

Maybe there should be a funded but separate org. Basically it is frustrating to not have some balance here. I know the political landscape today is such that additional gun control isn't likely, but that can change with one election...

NO.

Life happens. Tragedies happen. I have lost a nephew to s drunk driver (killed pulling into his driveway) 2 Nephews to an awful disease, both my aunts and uncles, both parents, my brother in 2006 my sister's husband last year and both of my parents. and I'm 46, hardly old. So it's not as though I don't grasp tragedy. I've had a lot more than most people. And that's just the deaths.

If you use the fact that your kid was murdered as some kind of rallying cry to give you credibility you are a piece of SH**.
You are exploiting your tragedy to make some political point. In this case, one that's both factually devoid of reason as well as infringing on my fundamental human right of self-defense.

It's too bad that his kid was murdered. Suzie Black girl gets murdered in the "hood" every stinkin day and no one gives a shit. He doesn't deserve any more attention, sympathy or anything else than everyone else who suffers a tragedy. This is what communities, families, churches etc exist for. There doesn't need to be some damned foundation for every possible variety of human tragedy. As Buddha said: "Life is suffering." That's the nature of our existence.

The only reason we still remember Columbine is that the media made it into a clarion call for rights infringement because they were a bunch of white kids. ON THAT SAME DAY there were plenty of other murders of children and no one gave a rip. But this was a little more dramatic and suddenly it's the end of the world and we need metal detectors in the schools.

We have become a nation of wimps, sissies and cowards, expecting someone else to magically make our pain go away. Life is pain. What makes you a man or a woman is how you deal with it. That this guy has exploited his child's murder to become some kind of Brady Bunch poster child is despicable.

ETA And you can add the "911 families" to that.

Well that's great. Another moron that ignores the facts....THE KIDS STOLE THE GUNS!
How the F would increased background checks have prevented Columbine??????????????????
While I certainly feel bad for these people's losses, it chaps my ass when they run around with these holier than thou attitudes, using their loss as a kind of trump card of their credibility on the topic.

As for the facts--well, with anti-gun advocates the facts never metter.

If you are referring to Tom Mauser, I'd say it's harsh. The guy has lost a child.

The guy deserves to be punched in the face, seriously. He should man up and take a realistic view of the world. IMO people who do this and try to restrict freedoms because of a tragedy are scumbags. They don't want to face the true reality of life and humanity, that no matter what they do violence and killing will exist. Instead of this, they cling to the ridiculous hope that somehow they can change it all and make it better by passing laws. I also think it's very disrespectful to the dead to use them as their banner.

No, he's been on this rant ever since. It's just that the administration and the media have decided that it's once again time to give him and others with the same agenda more face time.

As usual, the miss the simple solution. Simply pass a law making it a crime to violate an existing law (e.g., assault, attempted murder, murder). That should fix everything. [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Ken

Where are all those gun control laws that were gonna come out of the congresswoman getting shot in the head?

Some of you people amaze me in your inability to see the political landscape for what it really is.

The political landscape may be what it is - that doesn't mean that the retard libs and the gun ban buddies are even paying attention. They will trot out the Congressperson who was shot in the head, they will trot out the Columbine victim's father - and they will trot out as many bleeding hearts as they can find and try to shove something thru.

Obama has already figured out that he doesn't have to have Congress declare war to deploy troops overseas and start bombing another country (Libya) - (well actually Bush taught him that) , so what makes you think if they REALLY want to push this thru they won't try some other tactic that hasn't been tried before - like getting the UN involved in some form or fashion?

One thing is certain - they know damn well that they want to ban guns - so this all may be just way of setting something up so that they can do it during his 2nd term, once they get those nasty conservatives out of the way.

NO.

Life happens. Tragedies happen. I have lost a nephew to s drunk driver (killed pulling into his driveway) 2 Nephews to an awful disease, both my aunts and uncles, both parents, my brother in 2006 my sister's husband last year and both of my parents. and I'm 46, hardly old. So it's not as though I don't grasp tragedy. I've had a lot more than most people. And that's just the deaths.

If you use the fact that your kid was murdered as some kind of rallying cry to give you credibility you are a piece of SH**.
You are exploiting your tragedy to make some political point. In this case, one that's both factually devoid of reason as well as infringing on my fundamental human right of self-defense.

It's too bad that his kid was murdered. Suzie Black girl gets murdered in the "hood" every stinkin day and no one gives a shit. He doesn't deserve any more attention, sympathy or anything else than everyone else who suffers a tragedy. This is what communities, families, churches etc exist for. There doesn't need to be some damned foundation for every possible variety of human tragedy. As Buddha said: "Life is suffering." That's the nature of our existence.

The only reason we still remember Columbine is that the media made it into a clarion call for rights infringement because they were a bunch of white kids. ON THAT SAME DAY there were plenty of other murders of children and no one gave a rip. But this was a little more dramatic and suddenly it's the end of the world and we need metal detectors in the schools.

We have become a nation of wimps, sissies and cowards, expecting someone else to magically make our pain go away. Life is pain. What makes you a man or a woman is how you deal with it. That this guy has exploited his child's murder to become some kind of Brady Bunch poster child is despicable.

ETA And you can add the "911 families" to that.

+1000

My mother died from cancer - largely induced from smoking cigarettes. Do I blame the tobacco companies? No - I don't, although a lot of other people do.

My mother basically killed herself by simple hand motions and breathing in. If she had been able to stop herself from doing either one of these - she would in all likelihood be alive today. She constantly made hand motions over the course of her life that brought cigarettes up to her mouth - and then she breathed in. Over and over and over again.

Simply not doing those things - would have solved the whole problem.

Those kids at Columbine - and a whole host of other a-holes, killed people by moving their arms and legs and with 1/2 inch motions of their index fingers. If they had simply not done that - a whole bunch of people would be alive today. People are dead because other people made decisions and took action. Make a different decision and take different actions - and those people would be alive.

Those kids at Columbine bought guns, this is action and decision, they went to school with a plan, this is action and decision, they hunted people down one by one - these are actions and decisions. They held the guns in their hands properly (if they had held them backwards and pulled the trigger with their thumbs they would have shot themselves in the head) - so obviously THEY WERE IN CONTROL OF THE GUNS.

If the guns were in control they could have just as easily "told" those two a-holes to shoot themselves in the head.

Liberals and "progressives" constantly try to denigrate and degrade the element of personal responsibility - it's pervasive thruout their philosophy and how that philosophy is implemented in the real world, from schooling all the way thru law-writing and philosophy of government.

It's a disease of the mind - and it needs to be cured.

Back
Top Bottom